Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 24, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #118,967 of 152,227
Tonight's Syn-full song recommendation:

Sunshine Of Your Love...... Cream

May 24, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #118,969 of 152,227
Crate digging today:

Sealed copy of Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section, mono pressing.

Original pressing of The Black Keys, The Big Come Up, used but VG+ Recorded on an 8-Track tape and just plain dirty.

A sealed Vinyl Me Please pressing of Nat Turner Rebellion’s Laugh to Keep From Crying, a compilation of singles and unreleased recordings from 1969-1972 from the Philly Soul pioneers who never released an album, but made some sweet, sweet sounds before disbanding (and one member going on to write Brandy for the O’Jays).

Last edited:
May 25, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #118,970 of 152,227
Experience suggests otherwise. At the NC meetup we had a hell of a job with lightning to USB cables. The only safe bet we found was the converter set supplied by Schiit. @Cliffh93 may be able to add more light.......
Yep - - the standard Apple ( white thin cables ) are functional BUT do seem to ' shrink ' dynamics and bandwidth when used for ripping / transfers etc - I found that a jitterbug / noise sorter outerer - USB doodad really helped with PC to Dac connections in maintaining sound quality ( - indeed Schiit once did a Modi sized USB doodad ) but a lightning to USB lead that is well made from quality copper was significantly better than the Apple lead and only 50% more cost - and reputable brands are available - the key being quality construction rather than quantum snake oils and unicorn eyelashes

Last edited:
May 25, 2023 at 6:14 AM Post #118,971 of 152,227
No worries. I don't have a problem with discussion. This thread isn't moderated (yes, I know, huge shock) very much, but links to other sites, especially with links that look suspicious from an SEO perspective, and stuff that looks like ads for equipment that isn't ours is gonna go bye-bye. You don't go into Bob's Bar and put up an ad for Dan's Pub, right?
Thanks. No further discussion. Was just annoyed by the lack of an editor over there. I'd like the science part of sound too (how I improved my room) but some respect must be shown to manufactures by getting product details right. It's a pleasure to read your stuff and comments and your writing is a highlight in the industry for me.

May 25, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #118,972 of 152,227
:triportsad:
1685011661903.png

May 25, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #118,973 of 152,227
Ok, I searched this thread and the site and can't seem to find a viable answer, so I apologize if the answer is here.

I'm getting frustrated with having to pull SE cables out of my Freya+ and into my Jotunheim in order to listen to my turntable, external DAC, etc. over headphones as opposed to speakers. I'm also thinking if I switch out cables over and over, I take on the risk of damaging one or both units. So, my question is, can I use the Frey+ as a pre amp to the Jotunheim? I'm currently using one set of the SE outs to a sub, and I have the balanced outs going to mono block PS Audio M700s. I'm wondering if it is safe to connect the other SE output in the Freya to my Jotunheim. And, if so, what volume settings do I use. I have seen users doing this in Reddit, but... It's Reddit :) No offense to you reddit users :)
I run one of the SE outputs of the Freya+ into a Magni 3. (the other into a sub, and the balanced into 2 x Vidars). I have the Magni volume maxed out, and use the remote on the Freya+ to control the volume for the headphones. Works really well.

To get the power amps out of the way for headphone listening I have them now all running power from a Homekit switched power socket. I can say to Siri - "Hey Siri, turn off the power amps".... and my Vidars and subwoofer go dark. Awesome!

May 25, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #118,976 of 152,227
A few years back @Jason Stoddard mentioned something called "Plugfest" or maybe "HDMI Plugfest".

I did a quick g-search and apparently Plugfest is an informal device-to-device interoperability test and the results aren't always positive.

I fully understand why Schiit has shied away from HDMI ARC, E-ARC etc. as compatibility can be something of a Shiit-show.

I would think that testing of various types of cables, especially those advertising anything with "xxx to xxx", would yield interesting results.
I don't think "g-search" and "Plugfest" belong in the same sentence in a polite forum. There are other places on the interwebs for that.

May 25, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #118,977 of 152,227
You are talking about decisions made during the recording process that nothing you nor any other playback system can do anything about. It's part of the recording. Don't worry about it and enjoy the music. :)
Don't worry I am! :) But the massive geek in me wants to know the why. Just like in one of our company meetings a couple months ago, the CEO made a statement about a change in procedure. I asked "Why?"

May 25, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #118,978 of 152,227
Don't worry I am! :) But the massive geek in me wants to know the why. Just like in one of our company meetings a couple months ago, the CEO made a statement about a change in procedure. I asked "Why?"
To the former, you can begin educating yourself by searching for articles on the professional audio recording process. To the latter, I suspect the reason is "because I said so." :)

May 25, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #118,979 of 152,227
Readily available through Discogs.com, though not cheaply. Fair warning, Discogs may be as big a threat to your wallet as is this thread. Good hunting.
Oh, I have an account. And allow me to rephrase, been looking for a reasonably priced copy of Hand on the Torch.

Last edited:
May 25, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #118,980 of 152,227
I run one of the SE outputs of the Freya+ into a Magni 3. (the other into a sub, and the balanced into 2 x Vidars). I have the Magni volume maxed out, and use the remote on the Freya+ to control the volume for the headphones. Works really well.

To get the power amps out of the way for headphone listening I have them now all running power from a Homekit switched power socket. I can say to Siri - "Hey Siri, turn off the power amps".... and my Vidars and subwoofer go dark. Awesome!

I do pretty much the same thing except the only connection between headphone and speaker systems is the Yggdrasil+. I originally wired my integrated amp's preamp out to the Asgard and there was a nasty "THUD" if I turned the Asgard on - nasty enough to send the amp into protect mode! Now, a Freya S is my source for the Asgard. Asgard volume is at max and the Freya controls volume. Headphones are dead silent if nothing is playing.

I was going to plug my subwoofer into a smart plug except the manual expressly states not to use a power strip to control power. If the speaker amp is in standby, nothing is driving the sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back