Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 25, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #118,981 of 152,548
Thanks. No further discussion. Was just annoyed by the lack of an editor over there. I'd like the science part of sound too (how I improved my room) but some respect must be shown to manufactures by getting product details right. It's a pleasure to read your stuff and comments and your writing is a highlight in the industry for me.
Don’t forget his misleading data, lack of actually using/listening to the device, and complete misunderstanding of device purpose.

On a related, but different note. If I look at the AP data for Folkvangr, if I’m driving the 42 ohm impedance Diana V2, I need to have the impedance multiplier on and low gain for the least distortion. This should yield a THD of about 0.3% based on the following image:
Screenshot (1).png

Based on a test CD track (the Sheffield A2TB test disc), I can hear distortion levels starting clearly at 3%. I'm assuming based on this data, I wouldn't be able to hear distortion on the FV. The same data shows with impedance multiplier off, same 32ohm impedance and low gain, the THD+N ratio is about 3%.

To be honest, I can't tell a huge difference with the impedance multiplier on or off. With complex passages, I do hear some fuzziness/congestion with the Diana V2 with the multiplier off. My plan is to start with the lowest distortion settings on the FV to establish a baseline and work from there. I wanted to make sure I interpreted the data correctly.

Overall, I find the Yggy OG>Syn>FV utterly amazing and addictive.

May 25, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #118,983 of 152,548
A great talent. I'll re replaying Private Dancer on vinyl again tonight.

JC

The very first CD I bought in the 80s was Tina Turner - Break Every Rule.

I have all of her albums, many of her concerts, and I listened to her extensively - especially in the 80s and 90s.

Her departure leaves a hole no one can fill.

May 25, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #118,984 of 152,548
I don't think "g-search" and "Plugfest" belong in the same sentence in a polite forum. There are other places on the interwebs for that.
I'll try to keep it clean going forward.

May 25, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #118,985 of 152,548
Based on a test CD track (the Sheffield A2TB test disc), I can hear distortion levels starting clearly at 3%. I'm assuming based on this data, I wouldn't be able to hear distortion on the FV. The same data shows with impedance multiplier off, same 32ohm impedance and low gain, the THD+N ratio is about 3%.

To be honest, I can't tell a huge difference with the impedance multiplier on or off. With complex passages, I do hear some fuzziness/congestion with the Diana V2 with the multiplier off. My plan is to start with the lowest distortion settings on the FV to establish a baseline and work from there. I wanted to make sure I interpreted the data correctly.
That's a perfectly valid approach to figuring these things out.

Here's my ritual for when I listen to a new (to me) amp:
1) Plug in the headphones that I like
2) Open my reference tracks playlist in Roon, which is just an eclectic bunch of exceptionally well recorded and mixed music across my usual genres, each track with its own attributes that I know like the back of my hand and that I can listen for to assess the strengths and weaknesses of a given piece of gear
3) Start playing the tracks and fiddle with the amp's volume knob and all its relevant switches until a setting is found that pleases my picky-A-F ears

And no, I'm not posting this to have the thread degrade into an argument about spread sheets and numbers vs. listening. We've been there. We've done that. And nothing of value ever really came from it. No debate can and should be had over this, as each approach is both utterly flawed and perfectly valid in its own way.

They just lead to different outcomes.

Your approach is the more scientific one, if you will. It allows you to learn something about the interaction between different pieces of gear and transducers, and you will probably end up with a result that is the "correct" one from the perspective of an engineer or physicist, including all that peace of mind that a lot of people draw from knowing that they've done it just the way they're "supposed to" from an engineering point of view.

Meanwhile, and more often than not, I learn nothing of real (i.e. scientific/technical) value from my approach. Well, nothing other than what switches need to go where to make things sound good to my ears. But that only ever benefits me, really, seldom anybody else.
Even worse, my approach has also lead to results that make Jason (as the designer of the amps in question) roll his eyes at me in the "best" of cases, and outright cringe in some of the more … uhm … egregious ones. Like when I mentioned a few months ago that I get this truly magnificent sounding result from using a Piety with my 13 ohm Æon Noirs. Or when I mentioned years ago that I have a pair of (supposedly) 60 ohm planars that sound especially magnificent when plugged into my Valhalla 2.

But then again — and while I know that nothing could be further from the truth — I sometimes think that Jason only added the impedance multiplier to Folkvangr just so that I would finally shut up for once about how much I enjoy plugging my low-impedance planars into everything that comes across my desk, but especially into amps that were never designed to drive them. 😁

Last edited:
May 25, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #118,986 of 152,548
Mjolnir 3 first article metal is in.

This is unanodized/unpainted/unfinished fit check stuff.

Now it's straight into production.

94F81979-FF3F-41C4-8658-5EB99A6B6212.jpg

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 25, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #118,990 of 152,548
The very first CD I bought in the 80s was Tina Turner - Break Every Rule.

I have all of her albums, many of her concerts, and I listened to her extensively - especially in the 80s and 90s.

Her departure leaves a hole no one can fill.
For the vast majority of today's poopular "fArtists" I would say any hole they leave upon their demise can be easily filled with a shovel.

Yes. I am olde and honest. I care not much for the majority of today's "musical" fare. Yes, there are a few talented folk our there and I wish them well. The rest? I wish them that which rhymes with "well". :beerchug: I am such a meanie. :ksc75smile: If others disagree that is fine with me. I just do not think much of the stuff that young people and people that must want to seem "young" (loudly) listen to but never seem to actually purchase, at least when I ax them if they buy hard copies. I have bought 8-Tracks, Cassettes, Records (78s/45s/33s), CDs, DCCs, MiniDiscs, Downloads, etc. I do not support with my money or my ears what I do not enjoy, especially so when I consider it vile in content.

Tina Turner was a gorgeous Goddess.

May 25, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #118,991 of 152,548
Not sure if this was answered in previous posts, but will there be a black Mjolnir 3 ? My black Freya N needs a mate.

May 25, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #118,993 of 152,548
Silver for the win. I've been holding off on snagging a pair of Gjallahorns, hoping I'd see a silver option. 🥹
078CBFCB-6A97-473B-B7F5-EBFF727E7F4A.gif

Think Jason stated that wasnevergonnahappen.com

Edit:I was wrong. Guess there’s still a chance.

Black is beautiful though 😁

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back