Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 5, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #115,891 of 153,934
I have both a plastic remote for my og Saga and an aluminum one.

The OG plastic remote works better, and the electronics dont pop out everytime you drop the remote.

The aluminum one is nice, shiny, and weighty.

Given the functionality and durability, I might choose the plastic one over the aluminum one if I was forced to choose.

I think the infrared dome on the plastic one sticks out a little further, and the aluminum one is a bit more recessed, which makes the aluminum one more finicky. Allows for less fidgety volume control when pressing the volume buttons.

Apr 5, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #115,892 of 153,934

The OG plastic remote works better, and the electronics dont pop out everytime you drop the remote.

Given the functionality and durability, I might choose the plastic one over the aluminum one if I was forced to choose.

I think the infrared dome on the plastic one sticks out a little further, and the aluminum one is a bit more recessed, which makes the aluminum one more finicky. Allows for less fidgety volume control when pressing the volume buttons.
Someday, we will do our own super-premium made-in-USA milled-from-a-solid-block-of-aluminum with aluminum buttons remote, but don't expect it to be super-cheap. Not like from the car-priced brands, but not cheap. And then we'll see where that goes. There may be a lot of interesting remote options from us in the future, and not just because what they are made out of, or where they are made.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 5, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #115,893 of 153,934
Yep, if I had unlimited budget (and bigger front panel), I'd add more flexibility for a super-Syn. Balanced I/O, remote control center/sub/shape/presence, selectable 2.1/3.1/4.1/4.0/5.0/5.1 modes, sub filter on/off, center and surround HPF (but highly discouraged...seriously, go big on center especially), a remote not made from recycled Bic pens, etc. But that's a future that may not happen, and has lots of question marks wrapped around, like, should it be an add-on to our preamps, or an all-in-one? Be careful...there are downsides to both. So yeah, I hear you. Just don't expect anything fast. Except maybe a multichannel amp or two. We'll see. Nothing is in range yet. Wasn't it just a month ago I was asking about phono preamps? Yeah, I think about a lot of things. Not all of them happen. Sadly, we live in a finite universe. Sigh.
Saw a post on reddit about a tube phono preamp you've demo'd recently. Been eyeballing a PS Audio Stellar phono to replace my mani 1st gen, but if there's a schiit option in the works I think I'll wait.

Can you give us a tease of what you're doing for a phono new preamp?

Apr 5, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #115,894 of 153,934
Not sure what provoked that. My thinking was simply that the TeleTubbies, being aliens, would have tech to vanquish a bunch of Aussies, who are alien-tech-free.

Dunno which, if either, would have an opinion on NC outdoor cooking. Come to think of it, maybe the Wriggles would be tossing 'nother 'Tubby on the barbie.
That wasn't intended to come off as an attack, merely using SSW-approved topics to poke fun at another member of the Schiitiverse who's taste differs from mine; since I thought you were expressing a preference for TeleTubbies over The Wiggles. Now that I know you were proposing a battle royale...

The biggest auto news of the last week belongs to Gordon Murray Automotive. Nothing else is really cool or relevant by comparison.

The T.50 enters production. Sold out at $2.6M per copy. Only 100 made. These will probably jump 1000% in value within a decade.

The T.33 Spider was teased yesterday. I believe also sold out at debut at $2.3M per copy. Only 100 made.

I can't get excited about either car. Sorry, Mr. Murray.

Apr 5, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #115,895 of 153,934
Saw a post on reddit about a tube phono preamp you've demo'd recently. Been eyeballing a PS Audio Stellar phono to replace my mani 1st gen, but if there's a schiit option in the works I think I'll wait.

Can you give us a tease of what you're doing for a phono new preamp?
No tease, but multiple options in the works. We'll see what comes of it.

I can say this: hold on to yer butts!

Disclaimer: tube option, when/if it arrives, will probably be limited production (hilariously, still at a lower price than other "volume production" products.)

Last edited:

Apr 5, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #115,897 of 153,934
Tube phono pre limited production sounds awesome. It’ll go nicely with my limited production swapped silkscreen printed Syn. 🪢
Yeah, more like Folkvangr. I hope.

Apr 5, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #115,899 of 153,934
@Jason Stoddard

Any chance you have sold enough Gjallarhorns yet, to convince you to offer them in silver?

I've got a bad case of newtoyitis caused by cabin fever from 6 months of winter, and a silver G horn would be an easy decision.
It's possible Gjallarhorn will arrive in silver, but it is entirely up to the process gods. Latest batch of silver was vanquished by unique plastic bag/sandpaper combos (as in, the bags had embedded grit in them, so when the tops arrived at the plater they already had scratches on them.) Still trying to work out long-term silver solution. So, yeah, maybe, but no date.

But yeah, Gjallar and Rekkr are doing well. As is Syn.

Surprise surprise.

Last edited:

Apr 5, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #115,900 of 153,934

Interesting take. My initial reaction was probably written a little harsh just so I could get in the POS pun. So original, i know.

But it was an honest initial reaction. Perhaps with more time, the merits of the plastic one as you point out will become more apparent.

That being said, should an aluminum replacement remote for the Syn become available, I'd be a buyer. If for no other reason than my listening position has a metal file cabinet within arms' reach. Can't beat that magnetic holding spot.

Apr 5, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #115,901 of 153,934
Yep, if I had unlimited budget (and bigger front panel), I'd add more flexibility for a super-Syn. Balanced I/O, remote control center/sub/shape/presence, selectable 2.1/3.1/4.1/4.0/5.0/5.1 modes, sub filter on/off, center and surround HPF (but highly discouraged...seriously, go big on center especially), a remote not made from recycled Bic pens, etc. But that's a future that may not happen, and has lots of question marks wrapped around, like, should it be an add-on to our preamps, or an all-in-one? Be careful...there are downsides to both. So yeah, I hear you. Just don't expect anything fast. Except maybe a multichannel amp or two. We'll see. Nothing is in range yet. Wasn't it just a month ago I was asking about phono preamps? Yeah, I think about a lot of things. Not all of them happen. Sadly, we live in a finite universe. Sigh.
Thanks for clearing up that important question, @Jason Stoddard. 🤣

timeline_of_the_universe.png

In my tiny insignificant portion of the quadrant, remote control audio/video/surround is an infinitesimally low priority. End-to-end tube driven 2 channel audio is all I need to enjoy a slice of the infinite.

Apr 5, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #115,902 of 153,934
@Jason Stoddard

Any chance you have sold enough Gjallarhorns yet, to convince you to offer them in silver?

I've got a bad case of newtoyitis caused by cabin fever from 6 months of winter, and a silver G horn would be an easy decision.

It sounds the same in black. Don’t let the color of the component hold you back. The amp is awesome.

It's possible Gjallarhorn will arrive in silver, but it is entirely up to the process gods. Latest batch of silver was vanquished by unique plastic bag/sandpaper combos (as in, the bags had embedded grit in them, so when the tops arrived at the plater they already had scratches on them.) Still trying to work out long-term silver solution.

The newer silver Modi from TX is dope. I also love love love the new “S” on top. I’ve had the previous printed logo scrape off over time.

Considering the Red accents on the Hel and Heretic etc, other colors would be dope. I’d love to see maybe a bright purple, orange or even white as limited production / experiment. Maybe as a Schiit anniversary product??

Apr 5, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #115,903 of 153,934
It's possible Gjallarhorn will arrive in silver, but it is entirely up to the process gods. Latest batch of silver was vanquished by unique plastic bag/sandpaper combos (as in, the bags had embedded grit in them, so when the tops arrived at the plater they already had scratches on them.) Still trying to work out long-term silver solution. So, yeah, maybe, but no date.

But yeah, Gjallar and Rekkr are doing well. As is Syn.

Surprise surprise.

Eeesh, how does that even happen? Grit in a plastic bag? Sounds like sabotage!

Appreciate the update, hope the next attempt has better luck.

Apr 5, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #115,904 of 153,934
Yeah, more like Folkvangr. I hope.
Nice. That's the tease I was asking for!

I know Schiit had amps in the past for a specific headphone (like the Raal amps) in limited runs. Maybe it'd be cool to do a phono pre/cartridge combo in a similar fashion? No dip switches or knobs...just get the right cart .... and plug the schiit in. Seems like that approach would keep the BOM shorter and casework simpler too.

Apr 5, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #115,905 of 153,934
It sounds the same in black. Don’t let the color of the component hold you back. The amp is awesome.

The newer silver Modi from TX is dope. I also love love love the new “S” on top. I’ve had the previous printed logo scrape off over time.

Considering the Red accents on the Hel and Heretic etc, other colors would be dope. I’d love to see maybe a bright purple, orange or even white as limited production / experiment. Maybe as a Schiit anniversary product??
Tyler and Alex really want to do some crazy colors. We'll see. Not as regular production, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back