Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 20, 2024 at 11:33 PM Post #152,536 of 153,934
.... then find your GEC 6AS7G quad in the front-door Christmas wreath .... 😲😫
Finnegan’s favorite tubes, I try to steer him to other brands but he remains adamant. He needs to broaden his tube horizons. 🤪

May 20, 2024 at 11:35 PM Post #152,537 of 153,934
I need more ZZ Top, only song I have is Sharp Dressed Man which is probably the synth sound @ArmchairPhilosopher doesn't like. Song of theirs I know I want a copy of is Legs (I do have to say a sampling of the videos with that song are questionable to modern standards :-O).

What do you two recommend for CDs to add some ZZ Top to my collection?

(fun trivia: on the show Bones one of the character's father is literally one of the ZZ Top members)
SHARP DRESSED MAN / ZZ TOP ( Warner Bros. / WMG album 23774 Eliminator, track 3, and single 29576 )
( William Frederick Gibbons / Joseph Michael Hill / Frank Lee Beard ) Hamstein Music Inc., BMI

I presume?

May 20, 2024 at 11:36 PM Post #152,538 of 153,934
Speaking of jazz drumming, take a listen to what Brian Blade is doing on this song. He does only have two arms, last time I checked. :)

I've been to many live gigs with him in different bands, he can switch from delicate, spacey to explosive thunder in a split second. All-round, my favorite active jazz drummer.

May 20, 2024 at 11:41 PM Post #152,539 of 153,934
I simply open Qobuz in the browser on the PC, but using my same Qobuz account, and download there/then?
Yup. I download my Qobuz purchases from the Qubuz website, to my Mac, using Qobuz's download manager app.

May 20, 2024 at 11:50 PM Post #152,540 of 153,934
I'm really enjoying Beth Gibbons "Lives Outgrown" on Qobuz, along with a number of songs from the "New Releases" playlist

1716232466786.png
A great album indeed!!

May 20, 2024 at 11:52 PM Post #152,541 of 153,934
Finnegan’s favorite tubes, I try to steer him to other brands but he remains adamant. He needs to broaden his tube horizons. 🤪
.... horizons .... 🤔 .... a diversion such as this?
IMG_8107.jpeg

May 20, 2024 at 11:55 PM Post #152,542 of 153,934
Are these the same downloads you'd be able to find anywhere else?
Not always. For instance, sometimes Qobuz has the 96/24 hi-res album, but the same album on Bandcamp is 44.1/16 (guess how I know...). The whole digitral download market is a mess, quality control could be better. For non-Bandcamp albums, I go to Qobuz (to enjoy my Sublime discounts), then Presto Digital (mainly classical stuff that I can't find on Qobuz), then a bunch of others if needed (ProStudioMasters, 7Digital, ...). Before Qobuz, I used HDtracks quite a bit, but several things made me go elsewhere.

May 21, 2024 at 12:00 AM Post #152,543 of 153,934
May 21, 2024 at 12:07 AM Post #152,544 of 153,934
Not always. For instance, sometimes Qobuz has the 96/24 hi-res album, but the same album on Bandcamp is 44.1/16 (guess how I know...). The whole digitral download market is a mess, quality control could be better. For non-Bandcamp albums, I go to Qobuz (to enjoy my Sublime discounts), then Presto Digital (mainly classical stuff that I can't find on Qobuz), then a bunch of others if needed (ProStudioMasters, 7Digital, ...). Before Qobuz, I used HDtracks quite a bit, but several things made me go elsewhere.
:thinking: I've used HDTracks, I'm disappointed in ProStudioMasters catalog, got some good classical from Presto, don't think I've tried 7Digital. Also used PrimePhonic and got some nice albums from Bowers & Wilkins because I bought some of their kit.

May 21, 2024 at 1:54 AM Post #152,545 of 153,934
I need more ZZ Top, only song I have is Sharp Dressed Man which is probably the synth sound @ArmchairPhilosopher doesn't like. Song of theirs I know I want a copy of is Legs (I do have to say a sampling of the videos with that song are questionable to modern standards :-O).

What do you two recommend for CDs to add some ZZ Top to my collection?

(fun trivia: on the show Bones one of the character's father is literally one of the ZZ Top members)
The complete studio album cd set is what I went with. 10 discs on Amazon for 43. Their stuff id worth it. As are Billy F. Gibbons’ solo albums…

May 21, 2024 at 4:30 AM Post #152,547 of 153,934
According to a recent article I read that compiled Yelp reviews, the best BBQ in Ameca is in Arkansas, and the second best is here in the Phoenix area... I think maybe Yelp reviews are not that reliable.
The best reviews regarding BBQ you'll find right here in this thread! schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-BBQ-fire-up

May 21, 2024 at 7:20 AM Post #152,549 of 153,934
I'm in KC right now. At Q39, not bad wings, now pork belly..
20240520_170906.jpg

If you're still in KC, I'd like to recommend La Cubana at 5402 Winner Rd. It's certainly not in a pretty side of town, but I've never felt unsafe there. The place is small, meals are served on styrofoam divider plates, and your drink is served in the original container. On the other hand, it's savory and reasonably priced. The place is clean and staff is friendly.

In the year and a half we've been going there, I've always wondered how "Kansas City-ized" their food is. On our last visit, we ran into some transplants from Florida who frequently made a 40 mile trip to KC because they missed Cuban food. I asked if the food was authentic and they both responded with an emphatic "Yes!"

My favorite dish is a #5, El Tipico: Seasoned roast pork, served on a black bean and rice mix with yucca as a side dish. There's enough on the plate for me to have two satisfying meals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back