Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 4, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #117,826 of 152,837
Urd! Want now!
It's a lot of fun listening to different versions of albums on Qobuz and sometimes the differences are minor/barely noticeable.
OTOH, sometimes it's like listening to two different bands. Choices are good.
This is part of what makes this hobby so fun.
:beyersmile:

I really wanted an Urd too, but that ship has sailed; I became impatient after waiting several years from the initial announcement of a new Schiit CD transport, and bought a Jay's Audio CDT2-Mk3 instead.

It is a lovely machine, which is built like a tank, has a robust Philips CDM4/19 laser mech and RCA, AES, BNC and I2S outputs..... but of course, no Unison USB.

It sounds great though.

I recently bought an album on CD which I had only ever listened to on Qobuz.

Much to my surprise, the CD sounded much better than the streamed version!

That isn't always the case, as there is so much variation in the quality of files on Qobuz. Some sound fantastic, irrespective of whether they are 'High Res' or 16/44.1.

(The album was 'Old Lions Still Roar' by Phil Campbell.)

May 4, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #117,827 of 152,837
@Les Strat As you know, I'm more than satisfied with my current setup but every time I play direct from my DVD/CD player it always sounds just a little better. I don't know if I'll see a big change with Urd but it seems worth a demo when it's finally released.

I'madmire your Jay's CDT. It's a beautiful piece of kit. There are several available on Ebay for nearly half the cost of purchasing new. Tempting, but it would still be about twice of what we're expecting Urd to cost.

Thanks for the Phil Campbell recommendation. Listening to it now on Qobuz.

Last edited:
May 4, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #117,829 of 152,837
Nothing to do with Schiit but still very cool...
050423tyrrell.jpeg

Some industrious enthusiast in Japan has built his version of the 1976 Tyrrell P34 six-wheel F1 car, powered by a Hayabusa motorcycle engine. Deep respect. And can you imagine seeing something so innovative, so interesting, in F1 today? Not bloody likely.

May 4, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #117,830 of 152,837
Tubedepot.com (Memphis, TN) has them for just under a tenner, just grabbed two more the other day.
Dammit man! I may have to pull out my credit card. My wife will sear me with a touch of side-eye.

May 4, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #117,831 of 152,837
Dammit man! I may have to pull out my credit card. My wife will sear me with a touch of side-eye.
Better to seek forgiveness than permission 😬 at least in my experience

May 4, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #117,833 of 152,837
I’m working on replenishing the forgiveness bucket. You can only do that x number of times.

But when we sit down and listen to music she really appreciates the sound so all is good.
An Yggy would probably get me in trouble. But bifrost and freya I’m good to go due to spacing them out a bit 😁

May 4, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #117,834 of 152,837
Getting close now....

IMG_3537.jpg

A few notes:

1. It's super weird to plug a CD transport straight into the Jotunheim's USB DAC card.
2. It's super easy to compare the USB input from my streamer/Qobuz to the CD. HOLY CRAP SO MANY MIXES ARE WEIRD. Most are noted as remasters, but some are clearly different, but not noted.

And yeah, the totally hammered Kraftwerk CD is hammered because it's original. As in, I bought it in 1986.

This thing is actually pretty bonkers.
A day late, but my word...

That a handsome device that nails the familial silhouette

May 4, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #117,836 of 152,837
And, if you’re lucky, you’ve created a product or a service that is truly useful, that people want, that is based on a why or a purpose, and supported in such a way as to be around for a long time. That’s it. It’s as simple as that.
Speaking of business, Audio Research has entered into receivership :frowning2:
I had an SP6B Preamp; wonderful when it actually worked.....

Last edited:
May 4, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #117,837 of 152,837
Speaking of business, Audio Research has entered into receivership :frowning2:
I had an SP6B Preamp; wonderful when it actually worked.....
I haven't owned AR, but have enjoyed their designs.

Audio Research Corporation is one of the oldest manufacturers of high-end audio equipment still in operation. The company were known to be pioneers at advancing state-of-the-art audio reproduction in the 1970s, and for re-introducing the vacuum tube as the primary active amplification device. Wikipedia
Parent organizations: Sonus Faber, McIntosh Group
Founded: 1970
Headquarters: Minneapolis, MN

May 4, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #117,838 of 152,837
I was thinking that maybe I had too much stuff. So, I thought, I will just route all of my digital music through the Oppo DAC. It is supposed to have a really nice dual mono, quad chip setup. How much worse off could I be? And then I could sell the Gumby and have an extra $1000, basically.

So, this morning I put on a CD of the Janacek Sinfonietta. Played a while through the Gumby...then just the Oppo...and then back to the Gumby. The Schiit DAC was MILES more realistic. The experience is well worth the extra money/space/cables/etc.

It is nice to be reminded that you own good Schiit!

May 4, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #117,840 of 152,837
:beyersmile:

Much to my surprise, the CD sounded much better than the streamed version!
I have found that spinning CDs on my 20-year-old Musical Fidelity A308CR, output via digital coax to Yggy, sounds better than any other digital source that I have experienced to date.

Another reason why I'm soooo excited to get an Urd into my system. <g>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back