Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 3, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #117,796 of 155,088
And all I hope is that both you guys washed your hands before shaking mine.
I wash my hands every month as a matter of habit, so no worries. :laughing:

May 3, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #117,797 of 155,088
All I see is Mjolnir 3.
That's actually just a Mjolnir 2 (with the tubes removed). No metal for MJ3 yet, but coming soon...need to do manuals and screens for it tonight, with Urd.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 3, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #117,798 of 155,088
Implies that MMB2 is moving from AD5547 to TI DAC8812 single chip. (Bifrost 2/64 uses multiple chips in hardware balanced config)

<<added>>

However, this subsequent post by Alex of Schiit implies that MMB2 continues with AD5547, and is not switching over to the TI DAC8812 that BF2/64 uses.
No changes to MMB2. DAC8812 would be a different product.

May 3, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #117,799 of 155,088
So I am playing around with a Loki on loan from a friend. I'm amazed at how much I can alter the sound of my system. Handy to have an ability to fine tune less-than-ideal recordings to suit my preference and hearing. Then I got to thinking that it might be too convenient. Much time is spent system matching, selecting components and speakers to get the sound that I like. Here is a piece of marvel that get me that same sound without all of that work. I don't have to worry too much if a phono cartridge is too bright since a slight turn of a knob will fit it. "Equalizer" is appropriately named. I'm still sold and will be adding a Lokius. Love the flexibility.

May 3, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #117,800 of 155,088
May 3, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #117,802 of 155,088
I apologize, some do have little VU meters as well. I didn't look closely enough the first time around.
No worries, always making sure to send an alert when VU meters are visible

May 3, 2023 at 10:30 PM Post #117,803 of 155,088
Getting close now....

IMG_3537.jpg

A few notes:

1. It's super weird to plug a CD transport straight into the Jotunheim's USB DAC card.
2. It's super easy to compare the USB input from my streamer/Qobuz to the CD. HOLY CRAP SO MANY MIXES ARE WEIRD. Most are noted as remasters, but some are clearly different, but not noted.

And yeah, the totally hammered Kraftwerk CD is hammered because it's original. As in, I bought it in 1986.

This thing is actually pretty bonkers.
That looks completely awesome. My only digital source is CD so this would be way over-kill for me with all the functionalities. I'd be all over a transport-only unit. Here is to hoping that you'll make it so one day. :wine_glass:

May 3, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #117,804 of 155,088
Only natives of the Great Lakes truly appreciate that song. My better half, New Englander that she is, was like ... why?

There's a podcast called Stuff You Should Know that has a fun episode about the wreck - one tidbit: Edmund Fitzgerald was the CEO of an insurance company...
Ended up having a real circular life too. Launched from the Great Lakes Engineering Works in River Rouge, Michigan as the last boat off the ways there which was located between the main plant and Hot Strip Mill of (at the time National Steel's, now US Steel's and closed) Great Lakes Works and was on the way to Zug Island which is where the blast furnaces for the mill are located.

https://shipwreckmuseum.com/edmund-fitzgerald/

7V5H+P4C Ecorse, Michigan <- Slip Location, now bulk dock and former home of the Bob-Lo Boats that were in the Ratchet scene of Transformers: Age of Extinction.

I am Cleveland-born so my memories are of Lake Erie and the famous Cuyahoga River. IIRC, some of my friends never believed the Great Lakes actually have sandy beaches. Trying to remember the name of the amusement park there (Euclid Beach, maybe?), and Geauga Lake Amusement Park.

Those Apostle Islands may have caused the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald. I've heard they are quite beautiful.

Here's a shot of Euclid Beach, note the horizon is just water as far as one can see. Lake is really a misnomer.
rs=w:1200,h:600,cg:true
Were you going farther away to Cedar Point in Sandusky?

May 3, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #117,805 of 155,088
That's actually just a Mjolnir 2 (with the tubes removed). No metal for MJ3 yet, but coming soon...need to do manuals and screens for it tonight, with Urd.

You know, my first reaction looking at the image on my phone was “That looks like a tubeless Mjolnir 2.”

I thought naw, couldn’t be. Time to get the eyes checked.

May 3, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #117,806 of 155,088
Getting close now....

A few notes:

1. It's super weird to plug a CD transport straight into the Jotunheim's USB DAC card.
2. It's super easy to compare the USB input from my streamer/Qobuz to the CD. HOLY CRAP SO MANY MIXES ARE WEIRD. Most are noted as remasters, but some are clearly different, but not noted.

And yeah, the totally hammered Kraftwerk CD is hammered because it's original. As in, I bought it in 1986.

This thing is actually pretty bonkers.
Is that Urd riding atop a tube-less MJ2?? Or is there some weird angle thing at play here?

edit: This thread moves too fast for my replies sometimes. Custom tube-less MJ2? Do tell.

Last edited:
May 3, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #117,807 of 155,088
Were you going farther away to Cedar Point in Sandusky?
When I was very young it was an amusement park on a Cleveland beach, so most likely Euclid Beach.
When I was just young it was Geauga Lake Amusement Park (later, they built a Sea World there. Weird place for one, even kid-self thought...)
A little older still, there was a trip or two to Cedar Point in Sandusky (near Toledo, for those non-Ohioans).

Living here, across the street from Dorney Park, I have to say Hershey Park exceeds them all...

May 3, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #117,808 of 155,088
Is that Urd riding atop a tube-less MJ2?? Or is there some weird angle thing at play here?

edit: This thread moves too fast for my replies sometimes. Custom tube-less MJ2? Do tell.
You guys are funny. That's just a Mjolnir 2 with the tubes taken out. They're sitting in front of it in the picture. I'm using the Jotunheim; the Mjolnir is just a stand.

You'll get Mjolnir 3 soon enough.

May 3, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #117,809 of 155,088
You guys are funny. That's just a Mjolnir 2 with the tubes taken out. They're sitting in front of it in the picture. I'm using the Jotunheim; the Mjolnir is just a stand.

You'll get Mjolnir 3 soon enough.

I am just choosing to see what I want. Similar to the selective hearing I use with my wife.

May 3, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #117,810 of 155,088
Tonight's Syn-full song recommendation:

Stolen Moments...... Roy Haynes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back