Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 12, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #116,432 of 152,755
I'm sure there are other wet shavers on here...

Yup, reformed wet shaver here. Since COVID I stopped caring and just use a beard trimmer once a month or so. But I've still got all the kit in case I decide to go back.

The MÜHLE R41 is my jam. I found that I do best with a super-aggressive open comb razor and moderately sharp blades. Gillette 8'OClock Platinum Black were my go-to. They're made in St. Petersburg, RU though, so given the current--unpleasantness--it's a good thing I've got a few hundred of them.

Apr 12, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #116,433 of 152,755
Yup, reformed wet shaver here. Since COVID I stopped caring and just use a beard trimmer once a month or so. But I've still got all the kit in case I decide to go back.

The MÜHLE R41 is my jam. I found that I do best with a super-aggressive open comb razor and moderately sharp blades. Gillette 8'OClock Platinum Black were my go-to. They're made in St. Petersburg, RU though, so given the current--unpleasantness--it's a good thing I've got a few hundred of them.
I've tried a few other razors, but my go to is the Merkur 34C. With Astra blades. I can't get to aggressive because my skin just can't take it, at least the skin on my neck. I like the Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements soaps and after shaves, but I have quite a collection from various soap companies.

Apr 12, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #116,435 of 152,755
I got a shipping notice for the Syn I ordered yesterday. Odd that it will be coming from Schiit's Texas location since I live 40 miles from Newhall. One of the options when I ordered was to do a will call but I don't want to deal with traffic so I just had it shipped via FedEx Home. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow. So I'm kind of surprised they would ship from one location that is far away rather than one that is near, but also that it is supposed to arrive in a day. Regardless, I'm looking forward to trying it out!

Apr 12, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #116,436 of 152,755
I got a shipping notice for the Syn I ordered yesterday. Odd that it will be coming from Schiit's Texas location since I live 40 miles from Newhall. One of the options when I ordered was to do a will call but I don't want to deal with traffic so I just had it shipped via FedEx Home. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow. So I'm kind of surprised they would ship from one location that is far away rather than one that is near, but also that it is supposed to arrive in a day. Regardless, I'm looking forward to trying it out!
It's likely because it's made in Texas.

Apr 12, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #116,437 of 152,755
I used to keep multiple 60 to 100 capacity cassette tape binders in my car, some of which did get stolen
On trips, I've had a 200-CD binder in the car, but luckily, it was never stolen.

I've also been lucky with my Qobuz collection. It's never been stolen. So far, anyway.

Apr 12, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #116,439 of 152,755
This is what I did. I already had some little class D amps laying around from previous setups. I have the center channel output from the syn going into the R input on the amp, and run the speaker cables from the R output of the amp to the speaker. If I needed to buy an amp, probably would go with a Rekkr in mono mode.
Could you use a "Y RCA Cable" with a single output from the Syn to both inputs on the center channel amp?

I agree that I'd consider 2 stereo, and one mono Rekkr for the fronts, rears, and center.

Somebody REALLY needs to post a listening impression with this setup. Though I LOVE the idea of a bare bones, minimalist surround "processor"...I still suspect that there's got to be some benefit to Dolby/ATMOS etc. digital processing...

Apr 12, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #116,440 of 152,755
It seems this product doesn’t help those fans who are into multichannel already.

It is for fans who are currently only into stereo and want a simulated surround sound setup—so add a bit of atmosphere to their existing stereo signals—and don’t have the means to do this with the current technologies already on the market.
Well maybe. But one of Jason's points is that today's SOTA digital surround will be eclipsed by some newer iota of technical progress that will not play on your expensive AVR gear d'jour. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but someday and for the rest of your life.

By coincidence, my mid-lower range Yamaha AVR stopped working a month or so ago. Maybe it's just a fuse. Maybe it's not. I've been contemplating what to do about it. Not an urgent problem, as this is TV#2 and I don't watch many movies on it anymore.

Maybe I should just jump on the Syn-train.

Hmmm. Upon reflection, most of the movies I do watch on this TV are actually concert DVDs. Because I really enjoy the surround sound.

Maybe I should just jump on the Syn-train. But I said that already.

Apr 12, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #116,441 of 152,755
Well maybe. But one of Jason's points is that today's SOTA digital surround will be eclipsed by some newer iota of technical progress that will not play on your expensive AVR gear d'jour. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but someday and for the rest of your life.

By coincidence, my mid-lower range Yamaha AVR stopped working a month or so ago. Maybe it's just a fuse. Maybe it's not. I've been contemplating what to do about it. Not an urgent problem, as this is TV#2 and I don't watch many movies on it anymore.

Maybe I should just jump on the Syn-train.

Hmmm. Upon reflection, most of the movies I do watch on this TV are actually concert DVDs. Because I really enjoy the surround sound.

Maybe I should just jump on the Syn-train. But I said that already.
For those in the area, we should have the Syn surround set up in the Schiitr as of tomorrow. That will include an LG OLED if people want to watch screen content. It's relatively small, though, so it shouldn't be terrible for music.

Oh gawd, I need to do blind listening event, Syn vs Atmos. Except I really don't want to buy and deal with a receiver/processor/bleargh.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 12, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #116,442 of 152,755
The other problem is e-arc is not reliable.

IF it does work, it depends on the TV/receiver combo - some work, many don't.

I hate having to choose between Atmos or best picture quality...

I have been using optical out for years because my TV and receiver don't get along.

Apr 12, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #116,443 of 152,755
For those in the area, we should have the Syn surround set up in the Schiitr as of tomorrow. That will include an LG OLED if people want to watch screen content. It's relatively small, though, so it shouldn't be terrible for music.

Oh gawd, I need to do blind listening event, Syn vs Atmos. Except I really don't want to buy and deal with a receiver/processor/bleargh.
"Oh gawd, I need to do blind listening event, Syn vs Atmos. Except I really don't want to buy and deal with a receiver/processor/bleargh." ROTFL

Apr 12, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #116,444 of 152,755
Oh goodness, are we going to get into shaving kit now?

This is mine: also a Merkur, at full extension it's part way to shaving with a razor.

Behold the

FUTUR 700​

1681322964218.png

My preferred blades are Feather brand.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #116,445 of 152,755
That was a nice deck. I had a Nak RX-202 and it was a great deck too.
Me, too. Was a party favorite to watch it flip at "half time."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back