Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 12, 2023 at 1:41 AM Post #116,416 of 150,364
"The short, TLDR version: the other members of your household would never even consider asking if the sound was a discrete 5.1/7.1 mix or not. The surround sound you get from the Syn is fully immersive, engaging, and leaves nothing to be desired."

Basically this is my exact experience. Thanks for confirming I'm not insane.
Now, now...let's not mix apples and oranges.:wink: @Jason Stoddard, I do have a suggestion; after we live with SYN for a while, would you consider making us a SYN-R? "SYN-R(emote)", a unit with the Presence and Width being remote controlled so the user can sit in their favorite position and adjust surround to taste.
Just a thought...
Cheers and Thanks for the Transgression!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Apr 12, 2023 at 2:55 AM Post #116,417 of 150,364
Or buy a Nak Dragon. The only piece of audio equipment that I've owned over the last 52 years thar I regret selling. The automatic azimuth control on that deck worked wonders on prerecorded cassettes. It was a beautiful machine inside and out.
That was the best one yes, but I couldn't afford it. I bought the CR-4E instead, and also that deck elevated recording and listening to cassettes to a complete different level.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 3:10 AM Post #116,418 of 150,364
I'll leave it at this: it's amazing how many people have opinions on something they've never heard.

And, comfortably hiding behind a nickname, don't feel the slightest need to display any sense of modesty, dignity, civilization, or restraint (which they would do in a face-to-face situation).

Apr 12, 2023 at 6:07 AM Post #116,420 of 150,364
So long, and thanks for all the Schiit (source)

For the first time in eight years, I don't have any Schiit in my audio setups, as my last piece, a black Freya S, finds its way to a new home in Florida. From the initial Asgard 2 and Bifrost Multibit, through Jotunheim, Lyr 3, Yggdrasil, and several others, they never disappointed. Instead, they made me even more curious for interesting gear, and piece by piece they were replaced, with a bit of regret each time, but with a good feeling that someone else would enjoy them as they were replaced by more exotic items (2A3 SET amps, discrete ladder NOS DACs, transformer-based solid-state amps, ...).

This forum offers a lot more than Schiit commentary, but with the Schiit motivation gone, I'll be stopping by less frequently. I learned a lot from all of you, enjoyed the banter, and tried (sometimes unsuccessfully) to avoid techie pedantry.

Please make sure that hyperspace bypass goes elsewhere! And beware Vogon poetry.
I am saddened.

Apr 12, 2023 at 6:36 AM Post #116,421 of 150,364

For the first time in eight years, I don't have any Schiit in my audio setups, as my last piece, a black Freya S, finds its way to a new home in Florida. From the initial Asgard 2 and Bifrost Multibit, through Jotunheim, Lyr 3, Yggdrasil, and several others, they never disappointed. Instead, they made me even more curious for interesting gear, and piece by piece they were replaced, with a bit of regret each time, but with a good feeling that someone else would enjoy them as they were replaced by more exotic items (2A3 SET amps, discrete ladder NOS DACs, transformer-based solid-state amps, ...).

This forum offers a lot more than Schiit commentary, but with the Schiit motivation gone, I'll be stopping by less frequently. I learned a lot from all of you, enjoyed the banter, and tried (sometimes unsuccessfully) to avoid techie pedantry.

Please make sure that hyperspace bypass goes elsewhere! And beware Vogon poetry.
Live long and prosper, my friend.

Apr 12, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #116,422 of 150,364
I'll leave it at this: it's amazing how many people have opinions on something they've never heard.
I've had two pair of Bose 901 speakers over the years. The first set I sold to buy a wedding ring. The second I got as a graduation gift from my wife and had them for 35 years. I didn't realize that they sucked until I started reading about how bad they were online. Now, if you've heard them and don't like them that's one thing but I would bet the majority of people that knock them have either never heard them or heard them set up properly. They are a bit tough to set up and I never did it exactly as they should have been done but I enjoyed them. So, I feel your pain.
Love your products and I have four of them. My one complaint would be the lack of imagination with the product names. Vali 2++? Lol, I understand the reason for doing that.

Apr 12, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #116,423 of 150,364
"The short, TLDR version: the other members of your household would never even consider asking if the sound was a discrete 5.1/7.1 mix or not. The surround sound you get from the Syn is fully immersive, engaging, and leaves nothing to be desired."

Basically this is my exact experience. Thanks for confirming I'm not insane.
Correlation is not causation :)

Apr 12, 2023 at 8:12 AM Post #116,424 of 150,364
That's an understatement! For my tastes, the nose of the e-ray needs work -- the rest of it is gorgeous (like Jennifer Aniston did / does / is )
I love the overall look of the all the C8 variants - I believe the e-Ray uses the same front end dimensions as the Z06. The rear - looking directly from the back - was the look I find most challenging. Ok, but out of sync with the rest of the car. Now look at the haunches above from the front quarter (can you tell outr garage entrance is four feet above the car :) ) and it is ALMOST as sexy as those Renaults we discussed a few pages ago.

And my frustration with the look is only beaten by its ability to collect Schiit, you cannot take that car out without the arse end coming back filthy. I was out (for a hearing test!) yesterday and it was mid-70s and gorgeous, what a day to drive a Corvette! Days like that make it all worthwhile.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #116,426 of 150,364

Sorry you will be around less. I am using less Schiit products in my main system but I can think of at least seven I still have. I have been around less myself as I pursue other hobbies and endeavors. I am still hoping for a Schiit phono preamp and would most likely buy one of those if they ever make production.

Apr 12, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #116,427 of 150,364
…. versus the Hindenburg?
huge.jpg

Apr 12, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #116,428 of 150,364
Apr 12, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #116,429 of 150,364
I've had two pair of Bose 901 speakers over the years. The first set I sold to buy a wedding ring. The second I got as a graduation gift from my wife and had them for 35 years. I didn't realize that they sucked until I started reading about how bad they were online. Now, if you've heard them and don't like them that's one thing but I would bet the majority of people that knock them have either never heard them or heard them set up properly. They are a bit tough to set up and I never did it exactly as they should have been done but I enjoyed them. So, I feel your pain.
Love your products and I have four of them. My one complaint would be the lack of imagination with the product names. Vali 2++? Lol, I understand the reason for doing that.
Bose 901s were and remain, excellent speakers. I have a pair in their original boxes and it may or may not be that one day I will get them out and return to those thrilling days of yesteryear...

Apr 12, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #116,430 of 150,364

auf wiedersehen, gut sein

Users who are viewing this thread

Back