Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 11, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #116,401 of 150,282
Wait... are you saying that one should listen to something before judging it... that's some strange Schiit...

I thought we just bought stuff to measure it, put it in our signature, and look at it (sorry Ort not you... praise be VU meters)
Ah, I should have been more specific: something they've never touched, seen, used, measured...it's like me complaining about a $150K sports car based on a photo (as in, never even went to the car show to see it in person, never sat in it, never drove it, etc.)

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 11, 2023 at 10:35 PM Post #116,402 of 150,282
Ah, I should have been more specific: something they've never touched, seen, used, measured...it's like me complaining about a $150K sports car based on a photo (as in, never even went to the car show to see it in person, never sat in it, never drove it, etc.)
But—and hear me out—what if carping about unattainable goods and/or things that give other people joy is the only thing left in your life that makes you feel something!? 😳🤪

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #116,403 of 150,282
All I can say is it's already been a tough week and my Schiit is helping me cope.

Apr 12, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #116,404 of 150,282
Tonight's Syn-full song recommendation:

Highway Star..... Deep Purple

Apr 12, 2023 at 12:13 AM Post #116,405 of 150,282
"The short, TLDR version: the other members of your household would never even consider asking if the sound was a discrete 5.1/7.1 mix or not. The surround sound you get from the Syn is fully immersive, engaging, and leaves nothing to be desired."

Basically this is my exact experience. Thanks for confirming I'm not insane.

Well, we might both be insane. Not ruling that out.

But lets, for a second, assume that isnt the case... Ill just say this... I'm extremely happy that you've enjoyed as much success as you have that you were willing and able to go out on however far of a limb it was to produce and release the Syn and let me enjoy it as much as I have so far.

Apr 12, 2023 at 12:32 AM Post #116,406 of 150,282
... The e-Ray is stretching the prices a lot...
That's an understatement! For my tastes, the nose of the e-ray needs work -- the rest of it is gorgeous (like Jennifer Aniston did / does / is )

Apr 12, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #116,408 of 150,282
The rotary is most definitely a quirky engine. Not fuel efficient, not environmentally friendly, low torque, consumes crankcase oil by design, runs hot as hell, and as you noted is easily flooded if proper precautions aren't taken. Despite all that, it's a blast to drive. ...
Can also run on hydrogen. Read that it got 15mi to the tank on hydrogen. That would cover most of my driving :) since the pandemic.

Apr 12, 2023 at 12:42 AM Post #116,409 of 150,282
I'll leave it at this: it's amazing how many people have opinions on something they've never heard.
Small correction: it's amazing how many people have opinions on something they've never <used one of the human senses on, including common>.

Apr 12, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #116,410 of 150,282
But—and hear me out—what if carping about unattainable goods and/or things that give other people joy is the only thing left in your life that makes you feel something!? 😳🤪
I'll have to ask my wife about that one. She's an actual philosopher (specializing in Arendt/ethics)

Apr 12, 2023 at 12:55 AM Post #116,411 of 150,282
So long, and thanks for all the Schiit (source)

For the first time in eight years, I don't have any Schiit in my audio setups, as my last piece, a black Freya S, finds its way to a new home in Florida. From the initial Asgard 2 and Bifrost Multibit, through Jotunheim, Lyr 3, Yggdrasil, and several others, they never disappointed. Instead, they made me even more curious for interesting gear, and piece by piece they were replaced, with a bit of regret each time, but with a good feeling that someone else would enjoy them as they were replaced by more exotic items (2A3 SET amps, discrete ladder NOS DACs, transformer-based solid-state amps, ...).

This forum offers a lot more than Schiit commentary, but with the Schiit motivation gone, I'll be stopping by less frequently. I learned a lot from all of you, enjoyed the banter, and tried (sometimes unsuccessfully) to avoid techie pedantry.

Please make sure that hyperspace bypass goes elsewhere! And beware Vogon poetry.

Apr 12, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #116,412 of 150,282
Can also run on hydrogen. Read that it got 15mi to the tank on hydrogen. That would cover most of my driving :) since the pandemic.
…. versus the Hindenburg?
D852CE60-E4F0-431C-9D3F-34AEF7B59475.jpeg

Apr 12, 2023 at 1:23 AM Post #116,414 of 150,282
So long, and thanks for all the Schiit (source)

For the first time in eight years, I don't have any Schiit in my audio setups, as my last piece, a black Freya S, finds its way to a new home in Florida. From the initial Asgard 2 and Bifrost Multibit, through Jotunheim, Lyr 3, Yggdrasil, and several others, they never disappointed. Instead, they made me even more curious for interesting gear, and piece by piece they were replaced, with a bit of regret each time, but with a good feeling that someone else would enjoy them as they were replaced by more exotic items (2A3 SET amps, discrete ladder NOS DACs, transformer-based solid-state amps, ...).

This forum offers a lot more than Schiit commentary, but with the Schiit motivation gone, I'll be stopping by less frequently. I learned a lot from all of you, enjoyed the banter, and tried (sometimes unsuccessfully) to avoid techie pedantry.

Please make sure that hyperspace bypass goes elsewhere! And beware Vogon poetry.
You mean, you might not be tempted by the new MJOLNIR 3 in the works ?

Your various inputs on music and the techie side of things have always been appreciated by me ... Bonne chance et à bientôt

Apr 12, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #116,415 of 150,282
Sad thing about these tests is that expectation bias always wins. Like the first-ish post says, "I didn't hear any difference, just like I expected."

open mind is a challenging thing to find. My life has been made difficult by my Zen mind, beginner's mind attitude so maybe that's the ticket!
Modern statistical analysis ... i.e., Bayesian ... now generally accepts that this is actually the preferred approach. The evidence has to outweigh your pre-existing expectations.

I confess I don't understand it well.

But for the budget-minded music/audio-phile, it aligns with a thrifty mindset. Take more expensive cables. If I don't think that *I* will hear a difference, and *I* don't, then *I* wouldn't benefit from that "upgrade."

*Y*MMV.

Conversely, if you expect that Component XYZ will sound better, and to you it does, then congrats ... you've increased your perceptions of the SQ and presumably your happiness with your system.

Enjoy the music. That's what it's all about. (Subject to WAF and other various limitations in some locations.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back