Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 11, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #116,372 of 151,235
I started a thread for the Syn in the Equipment forum. The top google search result for "Schiit Syn Review" is still the ASR thread which is just guys who are smarter than everyone else trying to figure out why the Syn is a thing. So, I thought maybe having something dedicated to it here could help. I copied my previous posts to get it started, but if you've got a Syn or are getting one, or have questions about it, feel free to hop over there and share your thoughts.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-syn-surround-processor-reviews-impressions.967762/

Apr 11, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #116,373 of 151,235
"Hey Dad," says my daughter. "A friend of mine gave me a cassette player and a few tapes. You know about cassettes, what do I need to do to make these sound good?" "Use CDs," says I.

Apr 11, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #116,374 of 151,235
"Hey Dad," says my daughter. "A friend of mine gave me a cassette player and a few tapes. You know about cassettes, what do I need to do to make these sound good?" "Use CDs," says I.
Or buy a Nak Dragon. The only piece of audio equipment that I've owned over the last 52 years thar I regret selling. The automatic azimuth control on that deck worked wonders on prerecorded cassettes. It was a beautiful machine inside and out.

Apr 11, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #116,375 of 151,235
I started a thread for the Syn in the Equipment forum. The top google search result for "Schiit Syn Review" is still the ASR thread which is just guys who are smarter than everyone else trying to figure out why the Syn is a thing. So, I thought maybe having something dedicated to it here could help. I copied my previous posts to get it started, but if you've got a Syn or are getting one, or have questions about it, feel free to hop over there and share your thoughts.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-syn-surround-processor-reviews-impressions.967762/
I enjoyed reading your impressions. Thanks for taking the time to set up the thread. Syn isn't for me, at least for now, but it looks like a fun gadget.
ASR should be avoided at all cost IMO. Whoever coined the term "measurebators" gets full respect from me.

Apr 11, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #116,376 of 151,235
Hmmm, having an interesting issue with my Saga +. I originally thought it was just a dying tube (have been running for over 2 years), after replacing it I'm still having the same issue. During playback from my listening position it sounds like a CD skipping, problem is I'm using a Raspberry Pi with Volumio so that's definitely not possible. When it's happening and you are close to SAGA+ you can hear relays clicking in sync with the "skips" it does this if you bypass the tube and run passive mode as well.

Apr 11, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #116,377 of 151,235
Hmmm, having an interesting issue with my Saga +. I originally thought it was just a dying tube (have been running for over 2 years), after replacing it I'm still having the same issue. During playback from my listening position it sounds like a CD skipping, problem is I'm using a Raspberry Pi with Volumio so that's definitely not possible. When it's happening and you are close to SAGA+ you can hear relays clicking in sync with the "skips" it does this if you bypass the tube and run passive mode as well.
Dirty pot? (I know it uses a relay stepped attenuator but I believe it's a pot driving it)

Apr 11, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #116,378 of 151,235
So where does someone driving a Volvo electric stand?
I was going to say, "Outside in the rain. Alone." But I was beaten to the punch(line).

My sister-in-law lovers her Volvo hybrid. So there's that.

I have a Merkur 34C. I don't know how many horsepower it is though. Could be the same company?

1681216831584.png
Oh goodness, are we going to get into shaving kit now?

Or buy a Nak Dragon. The only piece of audio equipment that I've owned over the last 52 years thar I regret selling. The automatic azimuth control on that deck worked wonders on prerecorded cassettes. It was a beautiful machine inside and out.
Just for fun, I looked on eBay: $3500-neighborhood, or $7000+ neighborhood. A few "for parts only" in the $1500 neighborhood. Yikes, wasn't it $2000 new? Weird there are two different groups with such different prices. Some of the high-dollar offerings have been serviced, but some haven't, so I have no idea why they're being offered at a premium price (other than hoping either the market or PT Barnum will be right).

Apr 11, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #116,381 of 151,235
I enjoyed reading your impressions. Thanks for taking the time to set up the thread. Syn isn't for me, at least for now, but it looks like a fun gadget.
ASR should be avoided at all cost IMO. Whoever coined the term "measurebators" gets full respect from me.
I just read the thread. It’s sad really to be so blind as to not see the fun in audio. It goes way beyond measurementophilia.

I’m impressed with how well Tyler handles the hostility.

I’m listening to Eva Cassidy live at blues alley with Syn. Just awesome.

Apr 11, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #116,382 of 151,235
I just read the thread. It’s sad really to be so blind as to not see the fun in audio. It goes way beyond measurementophilia.

I’m impressed with how well Tyler handles the hostility.

I’m listening to Eva Cassidy live at blues alley with Syn. Just awesome.
It's almost like they want human hearing & cognition to be simple, when they're actually anything but. Like they want something that can be reduced to a small set of measurements. Also maybe a bit paranoid about being taken advantage of so measurements feel like a security blanket against that. [/armchairpsychologist]

Apr 11, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #116,384 of 151,235
I guess it's possible, I don't ever touch the volume on it though, it's always played at the same volume and I just start/stop playback on my PC or phone.
Intuitively for me, if the pot never gets moved it's probably more likely to get noisy at the spot where it always sits. I would try "exercising" the pot a bit. Just a lot of back and forth changes across the whole range, and maybe lots of little changes near where it normally sits.

Apr 11, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #116,385 of 151,235
Well, the C8 was on @ArmchairPhilosopher's list and mine is a daily driver and it is often the shopping car. And coming up to 3 years, it's still a spectacular car. The e-Ray is stretching the prices a lot, so I'll stick with the gas version. And the announcement of no more Carplay from GM probably means that the all-electric Corvette won't grace my garage. :frowning2:(
So then you're saying you have people....and don't use them? Spendthrift. 🤣 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back