Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 17, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #105,841 of 151,284
https://darko.audio/2022/12/podcast-weve-had-ten-years-of-this-schiit/

John Darko talks with Jason about 10 years of Modi and Magni.
I listened a few hours ago. One of the takeaways for me was that Urd is initially slated for a very limited production run. I'm sure they'll make more if the demand is there but it's probably best not to wait too long once they go on sale.

There was some discussion that Urd acts as a DDC (neither Darko nor Jason like the term DDC) and some testers have asked if they could get an Urd without the CD mechanism.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #105,842 of 151,284
You should sell me one for $10 for my vali 2 +...
Lol 😆 🤣 😂
OK. But only for you.

Oh yeah, it's $150 for shipping. That good? 🤣

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #105,843 of 151,284
Hmm will a cv4033 work in a vali 2 + ??
Think an ECC81 to ECC88 adpater is in order?
Works great in the OG Vali 2. Not sure about the 2+, but don't see why it wouldn't. And yes, ECC88 to ECC81 (or 82 or 83) adapter.

Footscray and Folkvangr.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #105,844 of 151,284
Works great in the OG Vali 2. Not sure about the 2+, but don't see why it wouldn't. And yes, ECC88 to ECC81 (or 82 or 83) adapter.

Footscray and Folkvangr.jpg
So awesome... which headphones are using with it?

Dec 17, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #105,845 of 151,284
Dec 17, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #105,846 of 151,284
I listened a few hours ago. One of the takeaways for me was that Urd is initially slated for a very limited production run. I'm sure they'll make more if the demand is there but it's probably best not to wait too long once they go on sale.

There was some discussion that Urd acts as a DDC (neither Darko nor Jason like the term DDC) and some testers have asked if they could get an Urd without the CD mechanism.
So URD.

With multiple USB inputs.
Conversion from these inputs to SPDIF?
So what use cases can we dream up here?

1. Two different input dacs to USB or SPDIF to an amp?
2. Two different usb sources to USB or SPDIF to compare different source players?
3. CD PCM to USB to external dac and compare to non CD source material?

Seems like this one is a well....lets see what it can be used for??

Very interesting...

Dec 17, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #105,847 of 151,284
So URD.

With multiple USB inputs.
Conversion from these inputs to SPDIF?
So what use cases can we dream up here?

1. Two different input dacs to USB or SPDIF to an amp?
2. Two different usb sources to USB or SPDIF to compare different source players?
3. CD PCM to USB to external dac and compare to non CD source material?

Seems like this one is a well....lets see what it can be used for??

Very interesting...
Easy: multiple sources not for different sound, but for different content. CDs, a streamer or computer for music streaming, and another computer for video and general computer stuff.

Dec 17, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #105,848 of 151,284
Easy: multiple sources not for different sound, but for different content. CDs, a streamer or computer for music streaming, and another computer for video and general computer stuff.
CD + Plugging the Nucleus into the Urd and then to the Yggdrasil is what I want to do. I want to hear unison to unison, which is something none of us have had before.

Dec 17, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #105,849 of 151,284
Well if this is a holy grail device then for me I can get PCM data direct to a unison receiver and out to a dac of my choice...with no PC, streaming, digital bits, or pc or OS manipulation of any sort...AND then compare with a digital USB input source and see from my self if there is any difference or preference.

Comparing two source inputs will also be nice to play with.

I get the use case you mention as well...seems like this device is a device that will be really experimented and played with...really going to look forward to its introduction.

Dec 17, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #105,850 of 151,284

All I'm looking for is a CD transport in a Freya chassis. The Urd does not seem to fit that bill. I don't have a current use for it's other capabilities/features.

Dec 17, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #105,851 of 151,284
Dec 17, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #105,853 of 151,284
Mjolnir 3, when it hits, will be accompanied by something like the "15 Magnis" chapter. It took a long time for me to come up with something we liked. We tried a bunch of approaches, including Nexus/Continuity/Programmable OPS, tube hybrid, all-solid-state-tech-forward, etc...and ended up with something that's a bit of a left turn. It's closest to the Freya+ buffer stage topologically, but with some Mjolnir 1 DNA, and with a bunch of things we've never done before: true dual mono, choke-input, discrete-regulated supplies, ultra HV front end, real Class A with switchable SE or push-pull operation, switchable no overall feedback, switchable gain.

It's still huge for a desktop amp, it's extremely heavy with 4 48VA core transformers/chokes inside, and it puts out an insane amount of heat. This is real, no-fooling Class A, like the original Asgard, not high-bias Class AB or Continuity. It won't be for everyone. And it's still many months out. Maybe summer. We'll see.
Hand out for testing application!

My Mjolnir 2 and Yggy GS sit contentedly on my desktop alongside my Jot 2 with True Multibit card.

My Grado is singing songs of summer!

Dec 17, 2022 at 11:29 PM Post #105,854 of 151,284
Mjolnir 3, when it hits, will be accompanied by something like the "15 Magnis" chapter.

MJ2 will be hard to beat. Happy to beta and a/b test in optimal Pacific Northwest conditions (Seattle rain festival ends Dec. 31, next year’s starts Jan. 1st!)

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #105,855 of 151,284
Hand out for testing application!

My Mjolnir 2 and Yggy GS sit contentedly on my desktop alongside my Jot 2 with True Multibit card.

My Grado is singing songs of summer!
Which Grado?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back