Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 25, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #103,756 of 151,545
I had a similar result with a 1984 vintage Rega planar 3 turntable - I had purchased it new at the time - anywho last year it started to drift badly IE slow dowwwwn , so I phoned Regas for advice, credit card on standby, I was asked 'can you do basic soldering?' - 'Yes, I can' I replied - ' there is a new motor belt and power supply on its way to you Free of charge ' !!! WOW !!

Nov 25, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #103,757 of 151,545
A serrated Cutco is always sharp. 🤣

True story: my parents received a set of Cutco knives as a wedding present....back in the '50's. Several of those knives are still in use today. A few years ago the handle broke on the large chef's knife (the handle was made of wood back then rather than the resin used today). Sent it back to Cutco, and they replaced it with a brand new one at no charge (and that's a $160+ knife today). "Forever" warranty? Seems so, as that knife was almost 70 years old.
I had a similar result with a 1984 vintage Rega planar 3 turntable - I had purchased it new at the time - anywho last year it started to drift badly IE slow dowwwwn , so I phoned Regas for advice, credit card on standby, I was asked 'can you do basic soldering?' - 'Yes, I can' I replied - ' there is a new motor, belt and power supply on its way to you Free of charge ' !!! WOW !!

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #103,758 of 151,545
2022, Chapter 14:
Hel Hath Frozen

So, for the first time in 12 and a half years, we’re doing a sale. Kinda.

This is partly because this year has been brutal in terms of inflation. Almost everything seems like it’s going up. You deserve a break from that. This is our counter, our give-back, our way of trying to make things a bit better at the end of a long crazy year.

If you’re interested, it’s at: https://schiit.com/b-stocks

And that’s where most companies would stop talking.

unnamed.jpg

Let us go on a bit.

Here’s the deal. Yeah, we are doing this because we love you. And we’re also doing it because we like tilting at windmills. And we’re also doing it because, to be totally frank, we gotta lotta schiit hanging around, and it needs to go.

“Aha, that’s the real reason,” someone says. “You somehow went from having nothing in stock to being overstocked. Idiots! How did you let that happen?”

And, you know, that’s a pretty decent insult. But why stop there? Why not take us to task for introducing a ton of new products (still a couple to go this year, maybe!), which is not exactly conducive to inventory control?

Here’s the reality: it’s tough planning in a normal year. And 2022 was, by far, the most bizarre year ever. We went from lockdown-stuck-free-money-buy-everything to, well, the inevitable hangover. We went from can’t-get-no-parts and can’t-get-no-line-time and how-much-extra-you-gonna-pay-for-that-run to can-get-most-parts and tons-of-line-time, and, probably soon, hey-you-got-work-for-us on the assembly side.

So planning for 2022? Oh yeah no nevermind.
  • Instead of introducing everything at the planned time, we had tons of delays
  • Instead of introducing everything we wanted to, we had the DSP debacle (and still do)
  • Instead of being able to count on several products, they went on hiatus or into redesign
  • Instead of a rational schedule of kitting and production, we got all stacked up
  • Instead of a normal summer slowdown, things got really slow
So, kinda a perfect storm.

Is this a problem? No. It just means stuff gets pushed to next year and we readjust. We run very conservatively, we don’t report to a board, we’re not public, so it’s not a big deal.

Aside: this is a reality of business. If you aren’t ready for a few bumps in the road, stay far away. We’ve been very lucky. It was still a great year, by many metrics. We still showed significant growth over pre-pandemic years, for example.

But we do have a bunch of stuff.

So, I thought, Maybe it’s time to move some of it out. Maybe it’s time to do a sale-ish kinda thing.

And that’s how you get what we’re calling “B-Stock Friday.” Except it’s not just B-stock, it’s also closeout and just some plain deals. And we’re cutting a lot harder than we normally do.

“But you said you’d never do sales!” someone cries.

Close. What I said is that you should never do sales. Which still stands. Don’t expect this to be a once-a-year thing. Don’t even expect this to happen again. Planning has already realigned 2023 (which means, yeah, if it gets bonkers again, expect backorders.)

In the meantime, enjoy the kinda-sorta sale!
Wow, definitely never thought I'd see the day! Too bad I've spent my wad on other hobbies already or I'd be ordering a pair of Tyr!

Nov 25, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #103,760 of 151,545
Yes, I'm hoping 120wpc in Ultra linear will do the job. If not, the XA-25 does fine. I typically listen in the mid seventy db range. 😎
If you listen in the mid-seventy dB range, the 60 watts in triode should be plenty enough too.

Nov 25, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #103,761 of 151,545
2022, Chapter 14:
Hel Hath Frozen

This is partly because this year has been brutal in terms of inflation. Almost everything seems like it’s going up. You deserve a break from that. This is our counter, our give-back, our way of trying to make things a bit better at the end of a long crazy year.

unnamed.jpg

Let us go on a bit.

Here’s the deal. Yeah, we are doing this because we love you. And we’re also doing it because we like tilting at windmills. And we’re also doing it because, to be totally frank, we gotta lotta schiit hanging around, and it needs to go.

“Aha, that’s the real reason,” someone says. “You somehow went from having nothing in stock to being overstocked. Idiots! How did you let that happen?”

And, you know, that’s a pretty decent insult. But why stop there? Why not take us to task for introducing a ton of new products (still a couple to go this year, maybe!), which is not exactly conducive to inventory control?

Here’s the reality: it’s tough planning in a normal year. And 2022 was, by far, the most bizarre year ever. We went from lockdown-stuck-free-money-buy-everything to, well, the inevitable hangover. We went from can’t-get-no-parts and can’t-get-no-line-time and how-much-extra-you-gonna-pay-for-that-run to can-get-most-parts and tons-of-line-time, and, probably soon, hey-you-got-work-for-us on the assembly side.

• Instead of introducing everything we wanted to, we had the DSP debacle (and still do)
  • Instead of being able to count on several products, they went on hiatus or into redesign
  • Instead of a rational schedule of kitting and production, we got all stacked up

Is this a problem? No. It just means stuff gets pushed to next year and we readjust. We run very conservatively, we don’t report to a board, we’re not public, so it’s not a big deal.

Aside: this is a reality of business. If you aren’t ready for a few bumps in the road, stay far away. We’ve been very lucky. It was still a great year, by many metrics. We still showed significant growth over pre-pandemic years, for example.

So, I thought, Maybe it’s time to move some of it out. Maybe it’s time to do a sale-ish kinda thing.

And that’s how you get what we’re calling “B-Stock Friday.” Except it’s not just B-stock, it’s also closeout and just some plain deals. And we’re cutting a lot harder than we normally do.

Close. What I said is that you should never do sales. Which still stands. Don’t expect this to be a once-a-year thing. Don’t even expect this to happen again. Planning has already realigned 2023 (which means, yeah, if it gets bonkers again, expect backorders.)

So the Yggy's listed are not Yggy+, are they?

Nov 25, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #103,762 of 151,545
2022, Chapter 14:
Hel Hath Frozen

unnamed.jpg

Let us go on a bit.

Holy schiit, was wondering when should I get a Lokius when this happened

Thanks Jason, secured one for myself!

Just to confirm, these are still B-stock right?

Also, do I need to specify that I need a 220V adapter for the Lokius?

Nov 25, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #103,763 of 151,545
So the Yggy's listed are not Yggy+, are they?
They are the original Yggdrasil, hence the big cut.

Holy schiit, was wondering when should I get a Lokius when this happened

Thanks Jason, secured one for myself!

Just to confirm, these are still B-stock right?

Also, do I need to specify that I need a 220V adapter for the Lokius?
Lokius looks like it's just a deal--not B-stock. If it says "Black Friday Deal," that's regular A-stock. There's also B-stock and closeout.

With respect to the adapter, if you didn't note it on your order, just contact orders@schiit.com and let them know voltage and plug type, and they'll get you taken care of.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 25, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #103,764 of 151,545
Okay quick question : How different in terms of value is the Freya Noval from the Freya + with Lisst Tube replacements? There seems to be such a big price gap between both, and yet, if I were to get either of them, I can easily see myself rolling other tubes, so what gives? Could someone explain to me what makes the Freya + seem so exceptional even if I expect to replace the Freya Noval's stock tubes with my own 6922 tubes?

Nov 25, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #103,765 of 151,545
Okay quick question : How different in terms of value is the Freya Noval from the Freya + with Lisst Tube replacements? There seems to be such a big price gap between both, and yet, if I were to get either of them, I can easily see myself rolling other tubes, so what gives? Could someone explain to me what makes the Freya + seem so exceptional even if I expect to replace the Freya Noval's stock tubes with my own 6922 tubes?
Simple: Freya Noval didn't sell, despite being the same preamp as Freya+ with 6N1P tubes. Get one now if you want one, it's a great deal. We won't be making any more, but of course you get full warranty and support.

Nov 25, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #103,766 of 151,545
Thats a nice setup - But I would think twice about locating your Tyr's on your subs as you WILL get microphonic feedback via the heatsinks into the output transistors and the transformer laminations and windings and thats not optimal !!
You are correct of course, but those are Aegirs. Much less susceptible to microphonic feedback.😉
And at seventy-two, with little hearing above 6 kHz my ears are not susceptible at all.

Nov 25, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #103,767 of 151,545
Simple: Freya Noval didn't sell, despite being the same preamp as Freya+ with 6N1P tubes. Get one now if you want one, it's a great deal. We won't be making any more, but of course you get full warranty and support.
That is an exceptional deal and there are plenty of fine 6n1Ps for sale at reasonable prices. 6sn7's I prefer can be in the $250 range, each. :ksc75smile:

Nov 25, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #103,769 of 151,545
You are correct of course, but those are Aegirs. Much less susceptible to microphonic feedback.😉
And at seventy-two, with little hearing above 6 kHz my ears are not susceptible at all.
I'm Obliged M/Lud:smile: - scale was hard to judge by the picture - btw are there a pair of Magneplanars behind the tannoys ?

Nov 25, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #103,770 of 151,545

Users who are viewing this thread

Back