Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 1, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #92,281 of 149,399
I mean, Aegir IS on the Stereophile Class A Recommended List for a reason. It IS amazing. But with the Tyrs I did not realize how veiled and closed in the sound was with Aegir.
The thing about Aegir is that it isn't particularly veiled and closed in sounding. Not in comparison to most other amps I've heard. It projects plenty of air and easily keeps up with the best of them.

Tyr's just… Well, it…

1651434079109.png

But the Tyrs provide bass with a precision - maybe the middle toe of my left foot and little toe of my right vibrate - just as the...artist....intended...?
I think you just created an exciting new measurement standard. Someone needs to let that ASR dude know about this…

May 1, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #92,283 of 149,399
Budweiser. OMG.

BTW, Canada and particularly Quebec make some great beers!

As you can probably tell from my handle my heritage is Belgian, so to me that's the world standard for beer. 😁
Indeed the best beers are from the low countries.
I don't know if the same version of those beers available at your's are comparable in quality.
Only you can judge that.
If I get a Brandt, Jupiler, Westmalle, Chimay or Duvel in Italy, it doesn't even come close to the ones I get in BE/NL.

Last edited:
May 1, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #92,284 of 149,399
Yes, sadly - one of my Tyrs hums a bit louder than it should. I can hear the hum/buzz 3-4 feet away from the amp. The other Tyr hum can only be heard within few inches of the unit. So Schiit wants to take another look at the louder unit, so it will be heading back to Schiit tomorrow... BUT......hum aside....the Tyrs are spectacular! I had been using a single Aegir previously, which was my gold standard. I returned the Pass XA-30.8 and the Van Alstine M225 monos in favor of the Aegir, which I preferred. And if I hadn't gotten the Tyrs I would have been happy with Aegir. But now that the Tyrs have fully settled in and blossomed...I am astounded by what I hear. In music I have heard thousands of times before I am hearing new things, and in NEW ways. There is an intimacy to the music that at times has surprised me so much it nearly made me teary. The spaciousness, separation and clarity in the music is absolutely amazing.

As I said, the sound with the Aegir in my system was world class. I mean, Aegir IS on the Stereophile Class A Recommended List for a reason. It IS amazing. But with the Tyrs I did not realize how veiled and closed in the sound was with Aegir. It's like fat I didn't know was there has been trimmed away. And the Tyr bass control is serious and solid. Aegir doesn't put out LESS bass in my system, just less controlled bass, which makes for a "flabbier" bass sound. With the subs turned off, Aegir puts out enough bass that my toes vibrate. But the Tyrs provide bass with a precision - maybe the middle toe of my left foot and little toe of my right vibrate - just as the...artist....intended...? Well I don't know about that, but you get the idea I hope. Plenty of bass, with pinpoint precision. I will be sad to be without the Tyr(s) now so soon, but am hopeful it comes back quickly in great shape and no loud hum.

IMG_2209.JPG

IMG_2211.JPG
Thanks for the wonderful insight. What preamp are you using? If I go with the Tyr I will need to purchase one as well.

May 1, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #92,285 of 149,399
Am aware of that indeed so there's a problem for me. The best file I could make (and I really know how to do that) produced a disaster on paper.
The second picture is far better in quality and debt of field etc.
The first picture would with a minor tweak has a far better composition.
But beggars can't be choosers. The first shot "re-shot" with the DSLR on a tripod at maximum aperture would be fantastic.
Again. It would make my day and the print would go on the wall somewhere in my house but..... (now I am manipulating).... I can only hope....... :xf_cool:
I could off course commend you for a medal from somewhere in the US government but that takes time.
Gotcha.
I'll take another shot at it and will try to replicate the perspective and framing that you prefer with the DSLR at some point this coming week. It obviously won't be precisely the same field of view, because different lens and all that jazz, but I'll try my best.
And while I'm at it; any specific tube preferences, or just the same tubes that were in the one you liked? ;p

Last edited:
May 1, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #92,286 of 149,399
Thanks for the wonderful insight. What preamp are you using? If I go with the Tyr I will need to purchase one as well.
Of course! Highly recommended! I am using the Don Sach preamp.

May 1, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #92,287 of 149,399
The thing about Aegir is that it isn't particularly veiled and closed in sounding. Not in comparison to most other amps I've heard. It projects plenty of air and easily keeps up with the best of them.
Totally! +Alltheones

May 1, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #92,288 of 149,399
Every once in a while we talk about cables. Some of us are "believers", some are "agnostic", some are "skeptics".
We all believe in high quality cables, I think.

In that vein, as an agnostic, I present this interesting paper. I am hoping that those of you that can read and understand scientific and statistical documents may offer insights above and beyond those in the paper.

http://boson.physics.sc.edu/~kunchur/papers/Audibility-of-cable-pathways--Kunchur.pdf
Excerpt from the conclusion,

"An extended multiple pass (EMP) listening protocol was developed, because preliminary experimentation along with other published observations [22]–[23] indicated that it would be more likely to form a robust and detailed impression of a HEA system’s sound quality compared to a short-segment comparison (SSC) method."

I like it.

Last edited:
May 1, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #92,289 of 149,399
Every once in a while we talk about cables. Some of us are "believers", some are "agnostic", some are "skeptics".
We all believe in high quality cables, I think.

In that vein, as an agnostic, I present this interesting paper. I am hoping that those of you that can read and understand scientific and statistical documents may offer insights above and beyond those in the paper.

http://boson.physics.sc.edu/~kunchur/papers/Audibility-of-cable-pathways--Kunchur.pdf

first page header has a reference to additional studies, "Please also see references [49] and [50] on pg. 409 for more information and extensions of this work including time-domain measurements."

do you have access to those papers as well?

May 1, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #92,290 of 149,399
first page header has a reference to additional studies, "Please also see references [49] and [50] on pg. 409 for more information and extensions of this work including time-domain measurements."

do you have access to those papers as well?

In the .pdf file I downloaded, reference 49 has an embedded link and this follows reference 50:

* Preprints of this and other papers by the author can be downloaded from the web site: http://boson.physics.sc.edu/~kunchur/ Click on the “High-fidelity sound reproduction…” link under “Research areas”

JC

May 1, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #92,291 of 149,399
Gotcha.
I'll take another shot at it and will try to replicate the perspective and framing that you prefer with the DSLR at some point this coming week. It obviously won't be precisely the same field of view, because different lens and all that jazz, but I'll try my best.
And while I'm at it; any specific tube preferences, or just the same tubes that were in the one you liked? ;p
Oh thank you. Just the same tubes would do fine.
You're this old man's hero. (blink, blink, blink)

Last edited:
May 1, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #92,292 of 149,399
Was it Heddy or Hedley Lamar that invented the torpedo tracking system during WWII? :) (nod to @Ableza's torpedoing Canada story and Hedy ;-D)

Hedy's invention also known as frequency hopping sonar or something like that....
She actually invented spread-spectrum, "signal-hopping" radio... according to the Smithsonian. They call it "...the basis for all modern wireless communications".

May 1, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #92,293 of 149,399
Thanks for the insight. Hard to find much information on the sound of the TYR. I am still on the fence and the mid bass hump thing is scaring me since I am in a small room. I am sure I will need a Loki to tame that bass down. Do you notice any hum from the Tyr, even in standby mode? This issue is being discussed in another forum.
You're more than welcome, Dwest :) You might be able to move your speakers out from the wall slightly, not sure that you need to invest in a Loki (but Jason would love it if you did).

Speaking of hum, there's a tiny bit from the right channel speaker, but only when it's biased. The hum (sounds like 120Hz; it's coming from the bass drivers) is only audible when very close to the speaker. Zero hum in standby. No physical noise from either amplifier.

The left amp is dead silent. My system is fully balanced and has generally been dead silent overall, so I will need to investigate further.

May 1, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #92,295 of 149,399
Speaking of hum, there's a tiny bit from the right channel speaker, but only when it's biased. The hum (sounds like 120Hz; it's coming from the bass drivers) is only audible when very close to the speaker. Zero hum in standby. No physical noise from either amplifier.
It's physical noise (from transformer and/or choke) that has been the concern (also has been reported with Vidars). Hum from a speaker is usually a ground loop issue in your system and probably not an issue with the amplifier itself.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back