Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 1, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #92,296 of 151,042
Oops, of course. I knew that. As penance, I'll "check out the end of the flick" again, then skip back to the beginning and watch the whole thing.
Well, that was tough duty. But then, punishment isn't supposed to be easy.

Something a little more up-to-date. I finally got to see Dune (2021). Perhaps the best adaptation of a book on film I've seen. I am looking forward to part two.

Numbering systems vary between countries but tubes made by different manufacturers in the US made specific tubes with similar specs so you know you can replace a 6SN7 with another 6SN7. Some other types may be close enough in specs to be used in place of a 6SN7 for example.

That is a dual triode tube, you can use two single triodes in place of it with proper adapter, if compatible.

There were pin types like loctal/loktals that can be used for a 6sn7 with adapter. I am using two single triode tubes to replace a dual triode in this photo, gain is the same. Tubes also varied in glass shape.

Oh and first number or numbers is filament voltage.
That adapter covers up too much of the top plate. Please get yourself a dual triode and post another photo.

Indeed the best beers are from the low countries.
I don't know if the same version of those beers available at your's are comparable in quality.
Only you can judge that.
If I get a Brandt, Jupiler, Westmalle, Chimay or Duvel in Italy, it doesn't even come close to the ones I get in BE/NL.
I've said this before, Chimay in the US is but a pale shadow of Chimay in Italy. I guess I'll have to add Belgium or The Netherlands to the list of places Mrs. macdonjh and I will travel to. I just won't tell her the reason I want to go is beer. Maybe there are other reasons to go, but a proper pint of Chimay is reason enough for me.

Last edited:
May 1, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #92,297 of 151,042
I’ve had my Tyr’s for two weeks now and haven’t experienced any hum. I also had to turn down my Sub since the bass was much stronger than mono Vidars.

I can also confirm some extra detail heard in recordings that I am very familiar with. My favorite thing so far is the beautiful timbre they produce. I was very much on the fence and hesitated several weeks before I bought them… but I am so glad I did!

May 1, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #92,298 of 151,042
Firefox on Mac complains that it is an insecure site (http instead of https).
I had that issue, but some seconds later the pdf installed and opened itself.

I skimmed over the paper at, oh, 50% understanding and 66% retention. I was impressed by parts of it such as:

"... HEA [high end audio] systems require meticulous setup and attention to detail (e.g., precise speaker positioning for best acoustic couple with the room, use of spikes to prevent speaker recoil, etc.). To those without experience in HEA, these measures can easily seem extreme and superfluous, especially since that is very little psychoacoustic research proving that any of these steps or components (other than speakers makes an audible difference..."

Garret Hardin (worth looking up) said it with less words, something along these lines: most people and scientists make similar observations, but scientists are more careful.

In the past several months I have been reading, a few pages at a time, the following book.
When I'm finished, I expect I will still not be able to give a worthy evaluation of studies like this.
I do expect my ability to spot BS will improve.

https://www.wiley.com/en-us/How+to+Read+a+Paper:+The+Basics+of+Evidence+based+Medicine+and+Healthcare,+6th+Edition-p-9781119484745

Last edited:
May 1, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #92,300 of 151,042
May 1, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #92,301 of 151,042
Fine. I'll go back to breaking in my new outlet cover. It's made from very special non-magnetic carbon fiber (with nano crystals even) which we all know needs considerably more break-in time than ordinary carbon fiber. :laughing: :laughing:

1651370495770.png

Also, non-magnetic, includes the screw, and plenty in stock. :smirk:

Screenshot 2022-05-01 184258.png

May 1, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #92,302 of 151,042
Last edited:
May 1, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #92,303 of 151,042
It's physical noise (from transformer and/or choke) that has been the concern (also has been reported with Vidars). Hum from a speaker is usually a ground loop issue in your system and probably not an issue with the amplifier itself.

Dang, I was hoping my humming Tyrs were normal, but seems others have quiet ones.

Both of mine have transformer hum from the unit, both biased and standby...nothing from the speakers.

It can easily be heard from listening position. I cringe at the thought of having to ship these back and forth though...

May 1, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #92,304 of 151,042
I don't have any interest in tubes. OTOH, I am very curious as to what the soup of letters mean that are associated with them.

Is it that the "tube" is the same and they designate connectors or other required information?
In addition to what @Paladin79 noted, yes the numbers/letters do represent things although US and European manufacturers assigned different parameters. And some European manufacturers used their own scheme. The 6SN7 is a US designation, and the '6' specifies a filament voltage between 6.0v and 6.9v, the 'SN' is a sequence code (but I have no earthly idea what that means), and the '7' specifies a seven element tube. The Mullard (European) code can (not always, but can) be more descriptive. Taking an ECC81 for example, the 'E' specifies a 6.3v filament voltage, the 'C' specifies that it's a triode (and it's a dual triode tube, thus two 'C's), the '8' specifies a noval (9-pin) base, and the '1' is that darned sequence code again. Perhaps one day I'll educate myself on what exactly a sequence code refers to.

Although not comprehensive, a pretty good synopsis at the link below:

https://www.duncanamps.com/technical/tubenumber.html#USA (RETMA) system

Last edited:
May 1, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #92,305 of 151,042
Same here. I'm going to give this a try. Emotiva CMX-2 Precision Common Mode AC Line Filter With DC Offset Eliminator
Dang, I was hoping my humming Tyrs were normal, but seems others have quiet ones.

Both of mine have transformer hum from the unit, both biased and standby...nothing from the speakers.

It can easily be heard from listening position. I cringe at the thought of having to ship these back and forth though...

May 1, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #92,306 of 151,042
May 1, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #92,307 of 151,042
Same here. I'm going to give this a try. Emotiva CMX-2 Precision Common Mode AC Line Filter With DC Offset Eliminator

Keep me posted on your result...will probably double check my ind/xfmr bolts as well.

Had to replace some transformer bushings on a used vidar once, so I know how the rigors of shipping can affect them.

May 1, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #92,308 of 151,042
My Vidars developed a hum. Snugging up the bolts eliminated it.

May 1, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #92,309 of 151,042
Through friends I have access to a lot of different equipment. All the pieces but one for our Bosch tv show setup till I located the turntable.

Today I am but a humble knife maker, working on a black limba handle while Finnegan watches. Very early stages.18277FF8-B110-4F30-98C0-F436F5AFDA6E.jpegCF92167C-4E57-47DF-B44E-5B9611C3A296.jpeg
Do you make your own Damascus, or do you source it from somewhere?

May 1, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #92,310 of 151,042
My Vidars developed a hum. Snugging up the bolts eliminated it.
I'm not thrilled about shipping it hither and thither again....how do you snug up the bolts on a Tyr? Also not thrilled about potentially voiding the warranty though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back