Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 20, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #86,311 of 151,342
In other audio news I was astounded to learn that one of my 14-year-old students has purchased a $50 record player. I actually purchased a $430 turntable in 1978. That turntable still works and is in the possession of my daughter, a hipster. I listen to CD's (not ripped, they really spin) through a Schiit Modi, I purchase them for $1 or $2 at flea markets or for $4-6 on eBay. Of late I have been pursuing CD's based on the original mono when an LP was originally issued as mono, these cost a bit more. So my 14-year-old friend is buying records while I pay a premium for monophonic digital!

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #86,312 of 151,342
Since you are not far away, if you want a couple 6sn7's to try out I can look around my shop after the holidays. I plan on shipping Finnegan to @bcowen to babysit so my tubes should be safe. A couple air holes in the box and off he goes.😜C0BF61FC-5D15-4F24-9352-BA54F5398489.jpeg
I will happily take him if bcowen defaults.

Dec 20, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #86,313 of 151,342
will 6BZ7 work in Vali 2+ so not a total loss.

I have, at least technically, aftermarket power cables (2 and 3 foot ones from monoprice to reduce cable-clutter / increase clearance to analog interconnects, some cost less than $2 on sale) :ksc75smile:
I did not know this!

Dec 20, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #86,314 of 151,342
I have, at least technically, aftermarket power cables (2 and 3 foot "computer power cables" from monoprice to reduce cable-clutter / increase clearance to analog interconnects, some cost less than $2 each on sale) :ksc75smile:
You need to measure your aftermarket power cables blindfolded, to see if they are actually shorter than the OEM cables. You may be imagining that they are shorter.

Dec 20, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #86,315 of 151,342
You need to measure your aftermarket power cables blindfolded, to see if they are actually shorter than the OEM cables. You may be imagining that they are shorter.
8F0F12C4-0040-4E74-AF05-E7A6D4B65E9C.jpeg

I just stop and make my own to a specific length, they are also well shielded.

Dec 20, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #86,316 of 151,342
Since you are not far away, if you want a couple 6sn7's to try out I can look around my shop after the holidays. I plan on shipping Finnegan to @bcowen to babysit so my tubes should be safe. A couple air holes in the box and off he goes.😜C0BF61FC-5D15-4F24-9352-BA54F5398489.jpeg
My feral yard cat named "New Kitty" looks a lot like yours. She replaced her mother, who was known as "Momma Cat." Momma Cat had four kittens and moved on, leaving New Kitty as the queen of our 1/2 acre woods. I caught her and had her fixed but she remains wild. I made her a heated house and she used it for a while but she has now rejected it.

Attachments

• More New Kitty.jpg
    More New Kitty.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 0
Dec 20, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #86,317 of 151,342
My feral yard cat named "New Kitty" looks a lot like yours. She replaced her mother, who was known as "Momma Cat." Momma Cat had four kittens and moved on, leaving New Kitty as the queen of our 1/2 acre woods. I caught her and had her fixed but she remains wild. I made her a heated house and she used it for a while but she has now rejected it.
Very nice that you care for them. I have an extra red metal cabinet somewhere, I could probably just gift you a VU meter box.AFAE31E0-3798-4C6C-B4DA-F778E9254641.jpeg108E41DF-FD48-44E0-BFC2-B65AB38F9752.jpeg

Dec 20, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #86,319 of 151,342
Whoa!
I am very interested!
This has an input and output so you do not give up your original output from whatever device it is connected to. I am a Gemini so I tend to buy things in twos. I would be happy if someone got some use out of the cabinet. 😉

Dec 20, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #86,320 of 151,342

I just stop and make my own to a specific length, they are also well shielded.
Ooooh, sexy!

I'm more than happy with my Snake Oil interconnects (thanks, Schiit, for introducing me to them!), but power cables are a completely different story. So I've been contemplating making my own for a little while.
Not so much for sound quality reasons; with the crappy power I get here at my apartment (I'm essentially sharing one mains hook-up with 99 other units, constant transformer humming regardless of what I try being one of the most annoying symptoms) I'd have to get a regenerator first to be able to squeeze any actual benefits out of a "fancy" power cable anyway.
But I'd still like to make my own, mostly to get a handle on those rats nests that stock cables cause with their one-length-fits-all policy.
And we all know: Not everybody likes 'em super long. Once you get to a certain size, things just start to get painful.
To deal with, I mean.
Or is that just my experience? 🤪
(Sorry; I'll show myself out… 😁)

Where do you source the wire for your cables?

Oh, and while I'm at it…
Quick question for @Jason Stoddard: Have you guys ever considered making regenerators? I know that I'm very much oversimplifying here, but these things are essentially just beefy power amps hooked up to an internal frequency generator, right? I mean, not really, of course, but "essentially". Broken down to its parts, there's really nothing about a power regenerator you guys haven't already done before in one shape or another.
While I've got absolutely nothing against the current (perceived) market leader in that sector, I'd rather send my money to Valencia/Corpus Christi than Boulder, to be completely honest.
And also, what's one more product, amIright?! One more product, in two finishes, for two voltages, and with four different socket types—that's virtually nothing! ;p

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #86,321 of 151,342
Ooooh, sexy!

I'm more than happy with my Snake Oil interconnects (thanks, Schiit, for introducing me to them!), but power cables are a completely different story. So I've been contemplating making my own for a little while.
Not so much for sound quality reasons; with the crappy power I get here at my apartment (I'm essentially sharing one mains hook-up with 99 other units, constant transformer humming regardless of what I try being one of the most annoying symptoms) I'd have to get a regenerator first to be able to squeeze any actual benefits out of a "fancy" power cable anyway.
But I'd still like to make my own, mostly to get a handle on those rats nests that stock cables cause with their one-length-fits-all policy.
And we all know: Not everybody likes 'em super long. Once you get to a certain size, things just start to get painful.
To deal with, I mean.
Or is that just my experience? 🤪

Where do you source the wire for your cables?

Oh, and while I'm at it…
Quick question for @Jason Stoddard: Have you guys ever considered making regenerators? I know that I'm very much oversimplifying here, but these things are essentially just beefy power amps hooked up to an internal frequency generator, right? I mean, not really, of course, but "essentially". Broken down to its parts, there's really nothing about a power regenerator you guys haven't already done before in one shape or another.
While I've got absolutely nothing against the current (perceived) market leader in that sector, I'd rather send my money to Valencia/Corpus Christi than Boulder, to be completely honest.
And also, what's one more product, amIright?! One more product, in two finishes, for two voltages, and with four different socket types—that's virtually nothing! ;p
I have 30-40 cable and wire sources I like to use, mine may have come from American wire and cable out of Chicago? It’s been a while since I bought it.😎

Dec 20, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #86,322 of 151,342
Ooooh, sexy!

if you want a simpler non-DIY (less likely to mess up e.g. swapping the hot and ground leads, etc., resulting in electric shock or fire hazard) approach, Monoprice sells "pc power cables" in various pre-made lengths and colors. NEMA 15P on one end, IEC 320 C13 connector on the other.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #86,323 of 151,342
How was the Van Gogh Experience? Worth the money?
I Took the Grand kids! It had motion and caught their attention for 40 minutes. It was interesting to see self portraits side by side over the years. You could spend years to see all the paintings at museums scattered across the world. here you get a great feeling for his art! while not seeing the actual paintings you feel him as an artisit

Dec 20, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #86,325 of 151,342
I am thinking of replacing my Valhalla 2 with one of those Chinese made integrated amps with headphone output and Vu Meter equipped. I will give the V2 to a relative that has no desire for Vu Meters (probably not really a relative given that revelation). I have a sense of humor as well as a tendency toward giving stuff away to friends and family so not a problem. I will begin saving up for a Nobsound SP1 and should I change my mind the moolah will go toward a Fluance RT85 or Pro-Ject Carbon model. I like vinyl just fine. Same with CDs.

My son is enjoying his Schiit Modius very, very much! He said he will utimately pair it with the Magnius. Good for him! Hmmm...Perhaps my big brother would like the V2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back