Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 20, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #86,326 of 152,718
Do you only ground the wall end? Or both ends? I have heard grounding both ends can cause ground loops.
Both ends are grounded but the shield is only connected at one end if that is the question.😜 A shield does not normally carry current.

Dec 20, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #86,327 of 152,718
I am thinking of replacing my Valhalla 2 with one of those Chinese made integrated amps with headphone output and Vu Meter equipped. I will give the V2 to a relative that has no desire for Vu Meters (probably not really a relative given that revelation). I have a sense of humor as well as a tendency toward giving stuff away to friends and family so not a problem. I will begin saving up for a Nobsound SP1 and should I change my mind the moolah will go toward a Fluance RT85 or Pro-Ject Carbon model. I like vinyl just fine. Same with CDs.

My son is enjoying his Schiit Modius very, very much! He said he will utimately pair it with the Magnius. Good for him! Hmmm...Perhaps my big brother would like the V2?

"I will give the V2 to a relative that has no desire for Vu Meters (probably not really a relative given that revelation)"
:laughing:

Dec 20, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #86,328 of 152,718
"I will give the V2 to a relative that has no desire for Vu Meters (probably not really a relative given that revelation)"
:laughing:
🤪🤪🤪 very well said lol

Dec 20, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #86,329 of 152,718
Both ends are grounded but the shield is only connected at one end if that is the question.😜 A shield does not normally carry current.
Got it, so there are three conductors plus the shield. Theoretically the ground shouldn't carry current either :smirk:. Which end do you connect the shield at? Chassis or wall?

Dec 20, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #86,330 of 152,718
Do you only ground the wall end? Or both ends? I have heard grounding both ends can cause ground loops.

In normal operation (if things are done properly), there should be zero or almost zero current in the AC mains ground conductor.

In a fault condition (e.g. a transformer winding shorts to the case / signal ground) that can be an entirely different situation, so the ground conductor should be as thick as the other two conductors.

+1 about the mains cord shield being grounded at the wall plug end only. there should be three conductors plus the shield running the length of the cord. check the work carefully, as stray strands of shield can make for a bad day.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #86,331 of 152,718
Got it, so there are three conductors plus the shield. Theoretically the ground shouldn't carry current either :smirk:. Which end do you connect the shield at? Chassis or wall?
Wall, and I was talking about the purpose of shields in other applications as well.😁

Dec 20, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #86,332 of 152,718
In normal operation (if things are done properly), there should be zero or almost zero current in the AC mains ground conductor.

In a fault condition (e.g. a transformer winding shorts to the case / signal ground) that can be an entirely different situation, so the ground conductor should be as thick as the other two conductors.

+1 about the mains cord shield being grounded at the wall plug end only. there should be three conductors plus the shield running the length of the cord. check the work carefully, as stray strands of shield can make for a bad day.
Thanks for joining in, I am on vacation for a couple weeks and I should be relaxing and thinking about fun stuff like VU meters, cats, and helping my fellow man.😃

Dec 20, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #86,334 of 152,718
I am loving my $500 Lego Schiit stack with Sennheiser Drop Jubilee HD58X headphones. Simply sublime! I am wanting for nothing more.
  • IEMagni 3
  • Loki Mini+
  • Modi 3+
Connected via custom-sized Shorty's Cables from Anti Ripple.

20211117_195542_HDR~2.jpg

20211117_195224_HDR~2.jpg

20211117_195748~2.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #86,335 of 152,718
When I heard Mike mention 2 new DACs it gave me hope for an updated Gungnir. I’ve been waiting for the update to match the metal of my Freya S. So happy to hear that the Freya S is staying in the lineup. It is an amazing preamp. The updated metal would not only match but would be easier to update if needed. I’m in no rush as the RME ADI-2 DAC has been great to listen and work with for the last couple of years. But a matching Schiit setup would be intriguing. Additionally, I’ve not been sorry to have acquired an Audiolab transport and enjoyed it during the pandemic. But…an URD to add to the Freya/Gungnir stack would be awesome!

Happy Holidays to you all. My family is doing well. Expecting a granddaughter in late January. I injured a knee in tennis and doing well with recovery exercises. A few weeks of recovery to get back and to look forward to some skiing. Loving the new Neil Young – Barn album. Kind of stuck on the track – Welcome Back.

Enjoying a dram of Woodford Reserve. A nice pot still bourbon.

Cheers, Steve

I have little doubt Gungnir 2 must be the next DAC. It has received the least (public) love of their lineup whilst every other DAC has undergone one or more further iterations.

Since I think Gungnir and Urd share the same/similar footprint, it only makes sense to debut them both, together. I plan to buy both! My hope is that Gungnir 2 will add Autonomy and a remote from BF2 and sound a bit like LIM with a tad more treble sparkle.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2021 at 1:00 AM Post #86,337 of 152,718
I have little doubt Gungnir 2 must be the next DAC. It has received the least (public) love of their lineup whilst every other DAC has undergone one more further iterations.

Since I think Gungnir and Urd share the same/similar footprint, it only makes sense to debut them both, together. I plan to buy both! My hope is that Gungnir 2 will add Autonomy and a remote from BF2 and sound a bit like LIM with a tad more treble sparkle.
I have little doubt Gungnir 2 must be the next DAC. It has received the least (public) love of their lineup whilst every other DAC has undergone one more further iterations.

I was hopeful that the new Yggy flavors would be paired with a chassis redesign that included Autonomy and a remote, like my beloved Bifrost 2.

Maybe Gungnir 2 will have those features.

Not that it needs it....

My Gumby bought in September is a beautiful sounding dac and is an upgrade to me over Bifrost 2. Thats even with the noisy transformer that needs an RMA for repair. No noise is transferred to the speakers/hps, but it buzzes almost as loud as my old fluorescent light fixtures 😂. Too bad torroidal and mu metal transformers are so spendy. My Ragnarok is quiet as a mouse.

Dec 21, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #86,338 of 152,718
I live in a cold dry climate so static can build up sometimes especially when running the heater constantly. Even just touching the yggy after walking across the carpet with socks on will occasionally short it out. It normally makes the inputs stop working until powering it off and back on again.
Your solution = bare feet :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back