Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 19, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #86,281 of 152,974
I would love to have that option to switch between my og and the lim card to hear the differences in my system but I am not an electrician and don't know schiit about it.
I am very interested in the lim experience from reviewers praise but I am very happy with the og already. And it seems that maybe the og is possibly more aligned with my preference based on it having better resolution and dynamics.

But back to the point: would someone without electrical experience preform the upgrade with a guide from someone who has done it?

Dec 19, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #86,282 of 152,974
would someone without electrical experience preform the upgrade with a guide from someone who has done it?

Sure. Power off. Open the case (a bunch of screws), pull the cards out (a few more screws), pull the EEPROM chip. Now do it all in reverse with the new version. Power on. Done.

Dec 19, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #86,283 of 152,974
I would love to have that option to switch between my og and the lim card to hear the differences in my system but I am not an electrician and don't know schiit about it.
I am very interested in the lim experience from reviewers praise but I am very happy with the og already. And it seems that maybe the og is possibly more aligned with my preference based on it having better resolution and dynamics.

But back to the point: would someone without electrical experience preform the upgrade with a guide from someone who has done it?

here's a link to the yggy A1 firmware upgrade (converts original A1 to GS level), which includes opening of the unit.

IIRC, there is another video or two as well (perhaps when self-install unison USB became available).

when installing the new analog boards, make sure the pins are aligned with both the connectors, not offset by a row or two, and that the PCB mounting screw holes line up with the threaded standoffs. also make sure to reconnect the ribbon cable for the front panel as well before securing front panel and top cover. I would also recommend the use of an anti-static wrist strap (connect it to yggy chassis to equalize your ESD potential with the yggy if a suitable earth grounding is not available).

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #86,285 of 152,974
Wow thank you so much those explanations! sounds easy enough except the whole static/earth grounding/anti static wrist cuff(?) thing. That's what originally had me the most scared and hesitant about the whole board swapping procedure.

I live in a cold dry climate so static can build up sometimes especially when running the heater constantly. Even just touching the yggy after walking across the carpet with socks on will occasionally short it out. It normally makes the inputs stop working until powering it off and back on again.

Anyway hoping that could/would not be an issue with this anti static wrist cuff?
Maybe humidify the house some first before doing the board swap?

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #86,286 of 152,974
Dec 20, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #86,288 of 152,974
All of those BEAUTIFUL VU meters.....(drooling)
It helps to build some things yourself. IMG_1539.jpg The meters are not expensive and relatively easy to work with, unless you are switching a large number of them to work with a lot of different gear. :ksc75smile: I built several in their own cabinets so I still have them when I change out headphone and power amps.

Dec 20, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #86,289 of 152,974
It helps to build some things yourself. IMG_1539.jpg The meters are not expensive and relatively easy to work with, unless you are switching a large number of them to work with a lot of different gear. :ksc75smile: I built several in their own cabinets so I still have them when I change out headphone and power amps.
You can even make meters in software. :D

Attachments

• 20200102_124605.jpg
    20200102_124605.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Dec 20, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #86,290 of 152,974
Wow thank you so much those explanations! sounds easy enough except the whole static/earth grounding/anti static wrist cuff(?) thing. That's what originally had me the most scared and hesitant about the whole board swapping procedure.

I live in a cold dry climate so static can build up sometimes especially when running the heater constantly. Even just touching the yggy after walking across the carpet with socks on will occasionally short it out. It normally makes the inputs stop working until powering it off and back on again.

Anyway hoping that could/would not be an issue with this anti static wrist cuff?

Or you can pay a technician for 30 minutes of work.

Dec 20, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #86,291 of 152,974
PM me and I'll give you my shipping address.

:k701smile:
JC
...and the crazy thing is, I could do that and know you're getting a damn fine amplifier. Old? Sure. Enough? Yep. :ksc75smile: :flag_ca:

Dec 20, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #86,292 of 152,974
Bottle head published 4 YouTube videos this year that get into the nuances of assembly (finishing the wood base, finishing the chassis, installing components, and [my favourite as it dispels my fears of destroying circuit traces], soldering). I might try my hand at it in 2022.

Dec 20, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #86,293 of 152,974

It is easy, from an engineer's perspective.

But it is also difficult for us to anticipate all of the weird and unexpected ways that non-technical people might muck it up. 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back