Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 19, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #86,266 of 155,156
14,813.00 USD

That's how much you would have to spend to buy the cheapest variant of each of the 27 different products that Schiit currently makes and sells.

But we are Schiit fanbois, aren't we, and so we of course want to taste all the flavors. So we go ahead and buy one of each of the product's variants.
29,547.00 USD, for which you would receive 43 boxes (and a stern letter from your partner's divorce lawyer).

Want to buy one in every available finish? That would set you back 53,094.00 USD, for 76 items.

You've got places in the US and in Europe, Asia, or Australia, so you need one in every finish, AND in every available voltage? No problem, as long as you've got 102,839.00 USD lying around for the 131 pieces of Schiit your delivery guy will curse you for having ordered.

What if we wanted to have one of each voltage, in each finish, AND one with each of the available power cables? Well, that would cost you 408,350.00 USD, for 500 different items.

But why stop there? What if we want to go all in and own one of each of the items that Schiit's online store is listing right now? So in addition to the above, let's throw in one of each of the available accessories, upgrades, and schwag, for a total of 413,237.00 USD, or 551 different items.

(Schiit Stuff @ Google Sheets - all amounts ignore shipping and taxes, obviously.)

Yes, this is a stupid little exercise, and probably contains an error or two. But I've been wanting to do this ever since Schiit began shipping some of their stuff not just with different modules, but also in different finishes.
131 products and their variants, that's a hell of a lot of Schiit to produce, to store, to manage, and to keep updated, especially for a business as small(-ish) as Schiit.

That said… Can I have my Schiit in pink, please? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Dec 19, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #86,267 of 155,156
Depends on what you eat, I suppose...
(insert rimshot here.)

Speaking of (equipment) colors, remember when Schiit refused to make gear in black? (Except for using up blemished metal.) Now there are products that only come in noir.

Or when there were no combo (amp/DAC, etc.) products?

Or no remote controls?

Things change, which gives me some small hope that Jason might relent and include a balance control in a future pre or integrated amp. 'Tis the Christmas season, after all - the perfect time for wishes.

Dec 19, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #86,269 of 155,156
That said…
Now, can you set that to the tune of 12 Days of Christmas?

On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me one Modi amp
On the second day of Christmas my true love gave to me two Tyr amps
On the fifth day of Christmas my true love gave to me FIVE Golden Lions...

Dec 19, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #86,270 of 155,156
Hello all!

Newbie here. I own ZERO pieces of Schiit. But I am looking forward to buying some.

My plan is to buy 2 Vidars and a Freya+ to drive Maggie .7s. I would LOVE to be able to just buy 2 Tyrs, but I also do not want to overpay/overkill the situation.

My question, which is DEFINITELY not original, is under what circumstances will the protection circuits be tripped in this setup? I read in a review that they got their Maggies to 120SPL before there was an issue. Does that align with other users experience? Also, 120 SPL?!?!?!?!! Ummm...I would definitely be evicted AND divorced at that point.

Thanks for your help!
Welcome to the thread, @Bonehead7171 ...{there must be an interesting story with that handle...nice!}... Your plan is to go 2 Vidars, a Freya+ ...to drive a pair of ribbon speakers... Holy hell. That's going to be thunderous and detailed!

:triportsad: My pets would treat those Magnepans like scratching posts, so that's off the table for me (that's a pity, as I still remember meeting my first pair... and asking the dealer where the hell the the rest of the speaker was located! [...flat?!...]). Re: protection circuits, Vidars, and ribbon speakers.... I'd check out this thread about Schiit 2-channel (and do a search).

Dec 19, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #86,271 of 155,156
... here's an unfair comparison: I did some casual comparisons between my trusty Asgard 2 headphone amp and my Heretic. And they're driving a pair of Senheisser HD650 clones (HD6XX). There's a sound quality (SQ) difference. I prefer my smaller amp. So what happens to my discontinued Asgard 2 in the future?
(i) It might be destined for a pre-amp role on a future (2024?) 2-channel rig (Vidar + Walsh Ohm W1000 + Asgard 2... fed by future DAC X).
(ii) if my niece or nephew show any interest in music, I'd give it to them, with a Modi or Modius source.
(iii) make a little listening station for one of the future guest rooms. I loathe to break up my ModiMB-EITR-Magni3 stack... That's staying with any future desktop PC. Perhaps that goes into the B&B office....?....
(iv) my spouse balks at any sound system in the home. It's all headphones and occasional Bluetooth, Logitech Wonderboom loudspeaker set-up (they're enjoyable red spheres [I'd recommend them... especially linked up as a pair]). No loudspeakers for me. All headphones. Ah well... :ksc75smile:

Dec 19, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #86,272 of 155,156
Depends on what you eat, I suppose...
(insert rimshot here.)

Speaking of (equipment) colors, remember when Schiit refused to make gear in black? (Except for using up blemished metal.) Now there are products that only come in noir.

Or when there were no combo (amp/DAC, etc.) products?

Or no remote controls?

Things change, which gives me some small hope that Jason might relent and include a balance control in a future pre or integrated amp. 'Tis the Christmas season, after all - the perfect time for wishes.
I also remember Jason saying modular upgrades were going to be a good thing but it sounds like his shipping department might disagree. :wink:
But hey, that's just good folks and a good company trying out different ideas and approaches to see what works and what doesn't (the "what sticks" analogy comes to mind)...
Cheers! :beerchug:
-HK sends

Dec 19, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #86,273 of 155,156
14,813.00 USD

That's how much you would have to spend to buy the cheapest variant of each of the 27 different products that Schiit currently makes and sells.

But we are Schiit fanbois, aren't we, and so we of course want to taste all the flavors. So we go ahead and buy one of each of the product's variants.
29,547.00 USD, for which you would receive 43 boxes (and a stern letter from your partner's divorce lawyer).

Want to buy one in every available finish? That would set you back 53,094.00 USD, for 76 items.

You've got places in the US and in Europe, Asia, or Australia, so you need one in every finish, AND in every available voltage? No problem, as long as you've got 102,839.00 USD lying around for the 131 pieces of Schiit your delivery guy will curse you for having ordered.

What if we wanted to have one of each voltage, in each finish, AND one with each of the available power cables? Well, that would cost you 408,350.00 USD, for 500 different items.

But why stop there? What if we want to go all in and own one of each of the items that Schiit's online store is listing right now? So in addition to the above, let's throw in one of each of the available accessories, upgrades, and schwag, for a total of 413,237.00 USD, or 551 different items.

(Schiit Stuff @ Google Sheets - all amounts ignore shipping and taxes, obviously.)

Yes, this is a stupid little exercise, and probably contains an error or two. But I've been wanting to do this ever since Schiit began shipping some of their stuff not just with different modules, but also in different finishes.
131 products and their variants, that's a hell of a lot of Schiit to produce, to store, to manage, and to keep updated, especially for a business as small(-ish) as Schiit.

This forum needs an “Epic like” like the other place has.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #86,275 of 155,156
That Yggy you describe would be like well over $2.5k. And there'd probably be few buyers of that "3 in 1 DSD Yggy". You can't even call it the Ultimate, because you can only use one at a time, and many people would likely end up just settling with one setting for most of their listening anyways -- which is no different than that one Yggy.

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be fun to switch between my LiM to an OG sound for. EDM. But, it'd actually be cheaper to just buy both separate versions actually.

They'd have to completely redesign everything, including the chassis, in order to fit it all in one box.

Maybe Yggy 2.0 will be FPGA based and allow for a several different implementations. That'd also be some expensive Schiit

While I agree that an Yggy with multiple DAC chip sets would be more expensive than an Yggy with only one chip set, I find it hard to believe that it would be twice as expensive. So I'm not sure why you think it would be cheaper to just buy both separate versions.

Perhaps Yggy 2.0 will be FPGA based. But seeing how Schiit has embraced a modular design with the Ragnarok, perhaps the Yggy 2.0 could some with the OG chips as standard, but also come with two additional slots for other DAC modules.

Dec 19, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #86,276 of 155,156
While I agree that an Yggy with multiple DAC chip sets would be more expensive than an Yggy with only one chip set, I find it hard to believe that it would be twice as expensive. So I'm not sure why you think it would be cheaper to just buy both separate versions.

Perhaps Yggy 2.0 will be FPGA based. But seeing how Schiit has embraced a modular design with the Ragnarok, perhaps the Yggy 2.0 could some with the OG chips as standard, but also come with two additional slots for other DAC modules.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-yggdrasil-impressions-thread.766347/page-302#post-13381236

Dec 19, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #86,277 of 155,156
That's already available. Buy Yggy and all the chipsets and swap to your heart's content.

And how exactly does one do that? At a minimum, you'd void the warranty. Of course, Schiit could design a DAC that came with a standard chipset and had module slots that owuld also additiona chip sets to be added. But they haven't done that, at least not yet.

Dec 19, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #86,278 of 155,156
Dec 19, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #86,279 of 155,156
Years ago apple did something similar to me when I simply did a normal upgrade. It took a while to figure out, but if it saw several pieces of music with the same song title it seemed to save one at random and delete the others. I lost some songs that were different takes or versions by the same artist, or other artists, or different songs with the same title. I find it amazing, or with sad resignation, that such stupidity can come out a company like apple.
If I had the patience to go Linux I would. Microsquash has other downsides than Apple. You pick your poison and live with it.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #86,280 of 155,156
And how exactly does one do that? At a minimum, you'd void the warranty. Of course, Schiit could design a DAC that came with a standard chipset and had module slots that owuld also additiona chip sets to be added. But they haven't done that, at least not yet.

From the upgrades blurb:

"Other Installation Options
You can choose to have these upgrade boards sent to you directly, fully tested and protected in an antistatic bag, together with an EEPROM with firmware for the DSP board. Please note that by selecting this option, you are saying, "Yes, I am, or know, a competent electronics technician who does not need hand-holding for this installation, and I will not allow an inexperienced person to perform the upgrade, since I understand there are no user-serviceable parts inside.""

No warranty voiding. Just don't let the magic smoke out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back