Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Mar 29, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #4,516 of 12,236
Fortunately Schiit is not Apple and I hope they hold true to their promise of offering upgrades to the Yggdrasil rather than taking advantage of our consumerist culture and throw away mentality that has been driven by the iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, 5S/C/E, 6, 6S, 7 cycle. I hope there is no Yggdrasil 2. 

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #4,517 of 12,236
Am I crazy for holding out for an Yggy2 and Rag2? I'm redoing my headphone and 2.0 desk setup and I want to step it up to endgame levels.

If you've decided on Yggy and Rag, why wait? They are already Schiit's flagship, endgame components. And as tjl5709 writes, Yggy is upgradeable. Rag may be too; I don't recall what Jason said about this.

Purely IMHO - could easily be wrong - I don't think Yggy will 'date' anytime soon. It uses unique technology and a unique filter that are unlikely to become "obsolescent". As well, Mike Moffat stated it is the best DAC he can build for the price. So I guess a better one would require a higher price!

Rag is also unique. Whilst there might be a Rag2 - since there's been a Lyr2, Valhalla 2 etc - I kind of doubt it's high on Jason's "must update" list.

Lastly, Jason has stated Rag and Yggy are Schiit's absolute, final-word, flagship amp and dac and that there will never be a 'higher' unit to replace them. This should give you confidence in buying as - as well - Jason has gone on record that they only release new versions of a component when they can meaningfully improve on the previous one; that they don't create new versions just for the sake of "this year's model". This is a policy of Schiit's I personally appreciate.

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #4,518 of 12,236
Am I crazy for holding out for an Yggy2 and Rag2? I'm redoing my headphone and 2.0 desk setup and I want to step it up to endgame levels.

Hold out for Yggy2 and don't worry about all the great listening you're missing out on now!

IMO

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #4,519 of 12,236
  Fortunately Schiit is not Apple and I hope they hold true to their promise of offering upgrades to the Yggdrasil rather than taking advantage of our consumerist culture and throw away mentality that has been driven by the iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, 5S/C/E, 6, 6S, 7 cycle. I hope there is no Yggdrasil 2. 

Can't speak for Raggy but certainly I am the last word on an Yggy 2:  Over my Dead Body.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 29, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #4,520 of 12,236
Can't speak for Raggy but certainly I am the last word on an Yggy 2:  Over my Dead Body.

The man has spoken, I'll grab an Yggy so it can serve double duty between my desk and HT setups. I'm still iffy on the Raggy for use with my Sierra 2's, but I can't pass up the aesthetic combo of the Yggy and Raggy as well as the convenience of being able to run everything in one place.

Mar 29, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #4,521 of 12,236
  Rag2 maybe, maybe not. No saying or telling if it's in the cards.

But not Yggy. There is no sense in waiting. It's designed & built to be upgraded.  

Rag2 maybe indeed, with tubes hopefully. I went for the Mjolnir 2 because of the tube-sound that the Ragnarok lacks. 

Mar 29, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #4,523 of 12,236
My only issue with the Rag is only 64 steps with the volume control, not as easy to fine tune as my Jotie or MJ2. 64 steps may be fine with in-room speakers but with headphones, when matching volume levels with a meter, I've found it to be a different matter.

Rather than Rag 2 I'd prefer to see a dedicated headphone amp built around the Freya and it's circuitry features and tube type.

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #4,524 of 12,236
How do you fix perfection.

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #4,525 of 12,236
How do you fix perfection.

Buy 2 YGGYs......    
L3000.gif

Mar 30, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #4,526 of 12,236
I discovered a really good way to appreciate the Yggy even more, and that's to spend some time away from it. Fooled around with a few other DACs which all sounded great, but once I returned to the Yggy, I realised just how much I took that realism for granted. Newfound appreciation. (But do not try this exercise on wife.)

Mar 30, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #4,527 of 12,236
  I discovered a really good way to appreciate the Yggy even more, and that's to spend some time away from it. Fooled around with a few other DACs which all sounded great, but once I returned to the Yggy, I realised just how much I took that realism for granted. Newfound appreciation. (But do not try this exercise on wife.)

No, wives don't typically like their husbands fooling with other women....... 
beerchug.gif

Mar 30, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #4,528 of 12,236
Indeed. On the subject of realism, am listening right now to Laura Nyro's Live at Looms Desire. Her voice in that venue, that audience, the way that piano hits each note, and how I can almost tell each back up harmony singers' voice. It's indescribably real through the yggy. Goosebumps!

Mar 30, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #4,529 of 12,236
I'm saving up for a Hugo2 or Holo Spring..But the great comments here have me rethinking to get a Yggdrasil. The posts say it's upgradable via firmware...But has it ever been upgraded or do we know of rumors? And when I say upgrade I mean to get it closer to sonic perfection.

Mar 30, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #4,530 of 12,236
I think it's just a few posts back where you can see Mike Moffat's eloquent reply to the likelihood of better yggy: over his dead body.

I'm saving up for a Hugo2 or Holo Spring..But the great comments here have me rethinking to get a Yggdrasil. The posts say it's upgradable via firmware...But has it ever been upgraded or do we know of rumors? And when I say upgrade I mean to get it closer to sonic perfection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back