Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Mar 30, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #4,546 of 12,398

That's not what he said. He said that in regards to the possibility of an Yggy 2. Not in regards to an upgraded, hence better, Yggy!

So it's possible to expect the same but upgraded yggy, but not a different upgraded yggy. Meaning improvements limited to software changes then. Well that's great news for all of us yggy owners. 

Mar 30, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #4,547 of 12,398

So it's possible to expect the same but upgraded yggy, but not a different upgraded yggy. Meaning improvements limited to software changes then. Well that's great news for all of us yggy owners. 

No, there could be board level changes to Yggy. That's why it was built modular and upgradeable!

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #4,548 of 12,398

I guess it will be down to non-upsampling vs upsampling since reportedly the Spring sounds much better in NOS mode than in upsampling mode (you could upsample in the software and it will be the mega-burrito vs the iZotope or any other algorithm, and maybe the possible disadvantage of higher bit rates to the DAC). Also, unless you don't use USB or put something in the middle, the Gen3 USB in the Yggdrasil and the USB input in the Spring may be at different levels. 

Still waiting for my Spring 3 (I know, why 3 DACs for two systems, I don't know either but my birthday is coming soon :wink: ) but my sense from reading around is that the Spring's built-in oversampler does not nail it as well as the Schiit digital filter that is the foundation of their multibit oversampling. Just listening to a "low res" 44.1/16 PCM jazz album, "The Purity of Turf" by Ethan Iverson, Ron Carter, and Nasheet Waits through my Yggy-based living room system (see sig for details), and the instruments are all perfect, so similar to what I've heard from these same players at various live venues around the Bay Area. Carter's bass is especially present, with that deep, resonant, swinging tone that Carter is so well-known for. As a true expert colleague of mine (who used to run his own recording studio and also knows 90db more acoustics and signal processing than I do) observed to me today, the true prowess of a DAC is shown in 44.1/16, where the mismatches between what the studio ADC and the DAC really show, because any decently designed DAC will do fine at 96/24.

Mar 31, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #4,549 of 12,398

​Hmmm.  Well I have to audition a Yggdrasil then ...its the best DAC Schiit can do, I guess.   I am not a fanboy of any DAC company or any design approach, but I do like when I see upgrades in any form are coming out.  PSAudio has done several upgrades to its DirectStream DACs.  And even MSB Technology recently upgraded the core FPGA logic in its $80K Select DAC to better improve timing (reduced jitter?) for redbook sources.   

Like the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." (But if it is, do an upgrade.) 
rolleyes.gif

Mar 31, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #4,551 of 12,398
Any1 using a PC > Schiit Wyrd > Mutec MC3+ USB (USB connected)  > Yggdrasil (AES)? Did it increase the sound quality significantly compared to connecting the Yggdrasil just by USB to your PC? Did the Mutec MC3+ USB make a huge difference? Benefit of the Mutec MC3+ USB is that it could convert DSD to PCM? 

Mar 31, 2017 at 3:01 AM Post #4,552 of 12,398
Any1 using a PC > Schiit Wyrd > Mutec MC3+ USB (USB connected)  > Yggdrasil (AES)? Did it increase the sound quality significantly compared to connecting the Yggdrasil just by USB to your PC? Did the Mutec MC3+ USB make a huge difference? Benefit of the Mutec MC3+ USB is that it could convert DSD to PCM? 
I had exactly the same setup and yes it did. Especially on the higher frequencies, there was more 3D like sound, the cymbals have a realistic "chilling" sound effect which was very noticeable after the mutec connected in the line.

The bass was also tighter but not really noticable unless you do a very strict comparison. I thought that the overall sound was a lot snappier and had more sense of realism. But was it worth the $1k? This is a question that depends on you.

For me, I didn't want to have four boxes connected to my headphone to do some casual listening. I sometimes think even the Yggy/Rag is too good for me :wink:

Mar 31, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #4,553 of 12,398
I had exactly the same setup and yes it did. Especially on the higher frequencies, there was more 3D like sound, the cymbals have a realistic "chilling" sound effect which was very noticeable after the mutec connected in the line.

The bass was also tighter but not really noticable unless you do a very strict comparison. I thought that the overall sound was a lot snappier and had more sense of realism. But was it worth the $1k? This is a question that depends on you.

For me, I didn't want to have four boxes connected to my headphone to do some casual listening. I sometimes think even the Yggy/Rag is too good for me
wink.gif

Aight. Noticed a difference with or without the Wyrd? I mean, removing the Wyrd from the chain skips a few usb-cables/ports. 

So technically the Mutec is connected with USB to PC. Driver needs to be installed. Then select that interface as output device. Do you have any problems with starting/shutdown pc when you leave the Mutec/Yggdrasil on? Notice any delay on playback on for example Youtube?

Are this the settings you've applied? 

Under Mode you have to select Intern & Re-Clk, under Reference you have to select your preferred input, in your case the USB input. When selecting the correct operation mode under Mode, the USB input will be automatically selected as default. So, you have nothing more to adjust! The Clock Multipliers are for use of the MC-3+USB as master clock only. Leave all Clock Multipliers at “x1”.

Mar 31, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #4,554 of 12,398
  Still waiting for my Spring 3 (I know, why 3 DACs for two systems, I don't know either but my birthday is coming soon :wink: ) but my sense from reading around is that the Spring's built-in oversampler does not nail it as well as the Schiit digital filter that is the foundation of their multibit oversampling. Just listening to a "low res" 44.1/16 PCM jazz album, "The Purity of Turf" by Ethan Iverson, Ron Carter, and Nasheet Waits through my Yggy-based living room system (see sig for details), and the instruments are all perfect, so similar to what I've heard from these same players at various live venues around the Bay Area. Carter's bass is especially present, with that deep, resonant, swinging tone that Carter is so well-known for. As a true expert colleague of mine (who used to run his own recording studio and also knows 90db more acoustics and signal processing than I do) observed to me today, the true prowess of a DAC is shown in 44.1/16, where the mismatches between what the studio ADC and the DAC really show, because any decently designed DAC will do fine at 96/24.

From what I could understand the analogue reconstruction filter in the Spring isn't steep (which is a good thing but would require upsampling) so the only concern for NOS mode would be with 44.1 kHz if not upsampling in the software. However, people are saying it sounds much better in NOS mode even with 44.1 kHz. You will tell us what you think.

Mar 31, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #4,555 of 12,398
Now that I know there's no Yggy 2 coming, I feel better about it being the source for my endgame setups. I'm going to be running Yggy to Freya to Classe CAM600 to Martin Logan ESL 15a. I also wanted the Yggy to Raggy to Ascend Sierra 2 and HD800s on my desk but the Stereophile measurements have me hesitant on using the Ragnarok on my desk. Decisions decisions.

Mar 31, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #4,556 of 12,398
  Just listening to a "low res" 44.1/16 PCM jazz album, "The Purity of Turf" by Ethan Iverson, Ron Carter, and Nasheet Waits through my Yggy-based living room system (see sig for details), and the instruments are all perfect, so similar to what I've heard from these same players at various live venues around the Bay Area. Carter's bass is especially present, with that deep, resonant, swinging tone that Carter is so well-known for. 

Sorry for getting off topic, but what a nice album!  I'd never heard of it before, but I've been listening to it on Tidal since seeing your post.  Thanks.

Mar 31, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #4,557 of 12,398
  Aight. Noticed a difference with or without the Wyrd? I mean, removing the Wyrd from the chain skips a few usb-cables/ports. 

So technically the Mutec is connected with USB to PC. Driver needs to be installed. Then select that interface as output device. Do you have any problems with starting/shutdown pc when you leave the Mutec/Yggdrasil on? Notice any delay on playback on for example Youtube?

Are this the settings you've applied? 

Under Mode you have to select Intern & Re-Clk, under Reference you have to select your preferred input, in your case the USB input. When selecting the correct operation mode under Mode, the USB input will be automatically selected as default. So, you have nothing more to adjust! The Clock Multipliers are for use of the MC-3+USB as master clock only. Leave all Clock Multipliers at “x1”.

For the Mutec (as long as it has the latest v1.10 firmware pre-loaded and your inputting a USB signal from your PC ), all you have to do is plug it in - turn it on and install the drivers (reboot if required).
It should work straight out of the box.  If you plan to use another input method (COAX, Optical etc...) , then you will need to make some adjustments on the Mutec.  It's not hard though!

The drivers come with a software control panel which you can use to control USB latency timings.  Sometimes tighter latency values will yield better sonic results - sometimes not... it's system dependent.

Mar 31, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #4,558 of 12,398

For the Mutec (as long as it has the latest v1.10 firmware pre-loaded and your inputting a USB signal from your PC ), all you have to do is plug it in - turn it on and install the drivers (reboot if required).
It should work straight out of the box.  If you plan to use another input method (COAX, Optical etc...) , then you will need to make some adjustments on the Mutec.  It's not hard though!

The drivers come with a software control panel which you can use to control USB latency timings.  Sometimes tighter latency values will yield better sonic results - sometimes not... it's system dependent.

The plan is to connect the Mutec MC3+ USB by usb to PC. And from the Mutec with AES output to the Yggdrasil AES input. Which adjustments need to be made then ? :wink:

Mar 31, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #4,559 of 12,398
  The plan is to connect the Mutec MC3+ USB by usb to PC. And from the Mutec with AES output to the Yggdrasil AES input. Which adjustments need to be made then ? :wink:

Nothing.... plug in, install the drivers and enjoy 
biggrin.gif

The Mutec MC-3+ USB with firmware v1.10 comes setup out of the box for USB input from the PC.  At least mine did...
It will do the necessary internal switching and automatically output via AES to your DAC.

Mar 31, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #4,560 of 12,398

Sorry for getting off topic, but what a nice album!  I'd never heard of it before, but I've been listening to it on Tidal since seeing your post.  Thanks.

Me too. I was up all night listening to it. Great jazz and what a recording, especially that piano! 

Thanks @earnmyturns You got any more recommendations like that? I revived a thread under Music for suggestions.

Apologies to everyone, for derailing from Yggy. But it's such a great test album for the yggy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back