Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Mar 30, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #4,531 of 12,398
I'm saving up for a Hugo2 or Holo Spring..But the great comments here have me rethinking to get a Yggdrasil. The posts say it's upgradable via firmware...But has it ever been upgraded or do we know of rumors? And when I say upgrade I mean to get it closer to sonic perfection.

There have not been any upgrades to Yggy since it's release. It is designed to be upgraded in the event that Baldr finds some way to do so. You can buy an Yggy knowing that you are getting a fantastic DAC now, and one that can be upgraded in the future should such an upgrade be made available. 

Mar 30, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #4,532 of 12,398
I'm saving up for a Hugo2 or Holo Spring..But the great comments here have me rethinking to get a Yggdrasil. The posts say it's upgradable via firmware...But has it ever been upgraded or do we know of rumors? And when I say upgrade I mean to get it closer to sonic perfection.

Get the YGGY....   
L3000.gif

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #4,533 of 12,398

From what Mike Moffat wrote in these forums about his multibit designs, I think the firmware upgrades are intended for major changes of function, such as to support replacing other modules in the Yggy, not for periodic tweaks. 

I own the Yggy, very happy with it, and I have a Spring Level 3 on order, not to replace the Yggy but for another system. I plan to do some comparisons at some point. Yes, I could have got another Yggy but variety is the spice of life 
gs1000.gif

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #4,534 of 12,398
I think it's just a few posts back where you can see Mike Moffat's eloquent reply to the likelihood of better yggy: over his dead body.

​Hmmm.  Well I have to audition a Yggdrasil then ...its the best DAC Schiit can do, I guess.   I am not a fanboy of any DAC company or any design approach, but I do like when I see upgrades in any form are coming out.  PSAudio has done several upgrades to its DirectStream DACs.  And even MSB Technology recently upgraded the core FPGA logic in its $80K Select DAC to better improve timing (reduced jitter?) for redbook sources.   

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #4,535 of 12,398
$80K DAC????   That is simply preposterous...Seriously??   I bet the Yggy would hold it's own or even best it!

I think sometimes manufactures just put some bait out there to see who or how many will bite!

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #4,536 of 12,398
I think it's just a few posts back where you can see Mike Moffat's eloquent reply to the likelihood of better yggy: over his dead body.

That's not what he said. He said that in regards to the possibility of an Yggy 2. Not in regards to an upgraded, hence better, Yggy!

Mar 30, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #4,537 of 12,398

​Hmmm.  Well I have to audition a Yggdrasil then ...its the best DAC Schiit can do, I guess.   I am not a fanboy of any DAC company or any design approach, but I do like when I see upgrades in any form are coming out.  PSAudio has done several upgrades to its DirectStream DACs.  And even MSB Technology recently upgraded the core FPGA logic in its $80K Select DAC to better improve timing (reduced jitter?) for redbook sources.   

I guess it will be down to non-upsampling vs upsampling since reportedly the Spring sounds much better in NOS mode than in upsampling mode (you could upsample in the software and it will be the mega-burrito vs the iZotope or any other algorithm, and maybe the possible disadvantage of higher bit rates to the DAC). Also, unless you don't use USB or put something in the middle, the Gen3 USB in the Yggdrasil and the USB input in the Spring may be at different levels. 

Mar 30, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #4,539 of 12,398
Mar 30, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #4,540 of 12,398
So I just plugged in the Yggy.
A little early to form a considered impression (3 tracks in).
Would say right off the bat more resolution than my ModWright Oppo 95 (solid state mod).
But not as smooth.
Seems a bit harsh around the edges.
So can I expect that to smooth out with break in?
How does the sound change with break in?
My unit is used so I assume it will get up to form a bit quicker.
How soon can I expect to hear the real Yggy?
Thanks.

PS. I know I should have waited more than 10 minutes to say anything.
Probably 2-3 hours min for any realistic idea what to expect.
Sounds like it is smoothing out a bit in just the time it has taken to post this.

Mar 30, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #4,542 of 12,398
  So I just plugged in the Yggy.
A little early to form a considered impression (3 tracks in).
Would say right off the bat more resolution than my ModWright Oppo 95 (solid state mod).
But not as smooth.
Seems a bit harsh around the edges.
So can I expect that to smooth out with break in?
How does the sound change with break in?
My unit is used so I assume it will get up to form a bit quicker.
How soon can I expect to hear the real Yggy?
Thanks.

PS. I know I should have waited more than 10 minutes to say anything.
Probably 2-3 hours min for any realistic idea what to expect.
Sounds like it is smoothing out a bit in just the time it has taken to post this.

More like 24 to 48 hours for an already burned-in Yggdrasil. Yes, the Yggdrasil sounds a bit harsh when cold...especially in the higher frequencies. Also, the bass tends to be muddied when cold. Don't worry, it will get better!

Mar 30, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #4,543 of 12,398

More like 24 to 48 hours for an already burned-in Yggdrasil. Yes, the Yggdrasil sounds a bit harsh when cold...especially in the higher frequencies. Also, the bass tends to be muddied when cold. Don't worry, it will get better!

Thank you!
Exactly what I was hoping you would say.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back