Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 15, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #70,276 of 149,395
You know about four years John Darko of Darko.Audio fame posted a video of a factory tour at the Schiithole where Jason introduced one of the Schiit crew as the "Redneck Audiophile", which the PIQ immediately corrected as Audio Enthusiast. I've been using this term ever since, since it's a better fit imho to describe who I am when it comes to my relationship with music and audio gear.

I prefer Audio Psycho as it better aligns with my other personality traits. I did, however, give some thought to Audio BBQ'ist, but it just didn't have much of a ring to it. :smile:

Jan 15, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #70,278 of 149,395
Having watched the most recent video from the Schiitr I have a suggestion for a new tee shirt.------------Schiit Audio.............It doesn't sound like two cats having sex.

Jan 15, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #70,279 of 149,395
Thanks @Timster :relaxed:
I have enjoyed plenty of good banter when drinking beers with Aussies over the years. In my experience you guys love to have a good laugh at the Poms' expense.
It's all good sport and we are used to it!
There is plenty of beer which is far worse than Fosters. Bud Light would be one, but I don't think that even qualifies as 'beer' :beyersmile:
Cheers :beerchug:

Sex in a canoe is closer. Speaking of Auusies, from the University of Wulamalloo

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #70,281 of 149,395
I received my second dose of Vaccine at 0630 Wednesday. By 1930, I began having a fever that rose to a maximum of 101F. Tylenol did not appear to help much. I slept poorly and the fever broke by 0400 Thursday.

I was tired and had a headache on Thursday. Slept well last night but I did measure a 20% drop in peak expiratory flow today. The loss of peak flow is only noticeable when wearing an N95 mask and walking quickly.

This was hardly a terrible experience. Getting the vaccine is clearly the correct decision for all those who are concerned about it.

Jan 15, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #70,282 of 149,395
@Jason Stoddard I've been following progress on the transport, but may have missed it. Is the form factor of the transport something I can stack on my Freya S??

Jan 15, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #70,283 of 149,395
@Jason Stoddard I've been following progress on the transport, but may have missed it. Is the form factor of the transport something I can stack on my Freya S??
yes, same width case, but Freya S manual indicates not to block the vents on top, so maybe Urd transport will fit underneath. In the livestream with Dave and Ivana (from 2020) Dave briefly showed some of the transport's metalwork / optical drive assembly

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #70,284 of 149,395
It is my understanding that the Urd will have an AES output, spdif and usb. No toslink. All usb inputs and outputs will be usb c. The usb input is a hub but the unison out will improve the sound. You will get all the benefits of the Unison out whether you spin a cd or stream from a laptop. Etc. the transport will act as an Eitr as well usb in and spdif out.

Jan 15, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #70,285 of 149,395
Jan 15, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #70,286 of 149,395
It is my understanding that the Urd will have an AES output, spdif and usb. No toslink. All usb inputs and outputs will be usb c. The usb input is a hub but the unison out will improve the sound. You will get all the benefits of the Unison out whether you spin a cd or stream from a laptop. Etc. the transport will act as an Eitr as well usb in and spdif out.
hmmm - i think more that the USB *inputs* can be switched to output - not exactly a hub. obviously everything USB, input and out would be unison, pure speculation of course

Jan 16, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #70,288 of 149,395
The company they buy the transport mechanism from also is a supplier of streamer software. So who knows, one day.
This company would take all the software trouble out of the hands of Schiit. If Jason and Mike want to go there?

I respect all you fellow Schiit heads musings about CD versus streaming but I have to point out that Unison USB is the key technology here that makes the difference.
There is a "closed loop" controlled protocol from CD platter bits to DAC chips. All the way the electrical noise and the bits are controlled in the way the Schiit team wants it to be.
In basic there is no difference between bits from CD or streaming, but the way the bits are handled and the electrical digital signal is manipulated and handled that is quite a different subject.
With Unison USB hub in the Urd you can now really compare streaming and CD because all the incoming bits are treated 100% identical all the way.
Can't wait to see the release.
That would be great if it can be arranged, for sure. While I'm really happy with my DIY Pi-based streamers, I'm a longtime Unix/Linux geek so I can handle the occasional software hiccup with streamer software like Ropieee, moOde, or piCorePlayer. OTOH, I higher-end streamers offend me both with their manipulation of audiophool insecurities and with their extravagant prices. Schiit has the right design and company values to throw a big rock into this pond, if only they could partner with a reliable software partner.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #70,290 of 149,395
I haven‘t used a disc player for a while despite having 600+ cds. In the last year I’ve been using a pi with Volumio playing from a hard drive. But you guys got me thinking and so i stole my Oppo UDP-203 from my living room system and plugged it into my main rig. I connected it to the Modi Multibit and broke out some cds.

Holy Schiit! Why does this sound so much better?! I don’t know. Maybe I’m fooling myself but I could swear it sounds more dynamic.
That's funny ... I was literally just planning on doing the exact same thing. Now that the wife has abandoned the field by going to bed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back