Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 15, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #70,261 of 150,897
Haven’t seen the answer to this question: is the transports USB input just a pass-through to the USB port? Or does it go through some kind of de-crappifier/retimer and then Unison out?
It can't be a pass through IMHO as Unison USB is the hub, so it has to handle the bits.
Does Unison also means decrappifing, reclocking. I guess not. The receiving clock is the master clock, reclocking is done in the DAC.
I think the Unison "protocol" makes sure the bits get to the DAC untouched, undisturbed and with as little as possible electrical noise.
To accomplish that it can't be a simple pass-through. Again, just my thoughts and my opinion.

Jan 15, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #70,262 of 150,897
I had a strange dream.

My buddy invited me over, but he gave me the wrong address and I created a bit of a ruckus. I just asked him to forgive me but he says I am dumb and now he's not my friend anymore. I think he's telling our other friends that he never even liked me in the first place. He's actually mocking me and suddenly it occurs to me, he was using me the entire time.

Waking up, I'm so upset but my BiFrost > Lyr 3 > Vidar (used for less than any 2) is very comforting and it's making me feel loads better! Dude included a bunch of tubes including these two on one things that look like make the Lyr as colorful and clean sounding but still lush as the Jot 2.

Jan 15, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #70,263 of 150,897
My cheap “transport” spun CDs sound better to my ears than a ripped FLAC, ALAC, or AIFF file. I’m not sure if I’m crazy or not. I’ve read some people feel a transport makes a big difference and I’ve also seen others say that is crazy talk. I just like grabbing a CD and playing it.

I have always felt that local files sounded better. I was going to pass on transport, but may take a flier on it now. Depends on final price. I never have owned a serious CD player.

Jan 15, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #70,264 of 150,897
Jan 15, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #70,265 of 150,897
With all the shipping problems going on right now I can't imagine any company not experiencing some chaos.
Shipping is a problem for sure, but not the main one. All manufacturers of pretty much any product you can imagine are spread thin and have exaggerated delivery times. I build new homes for a living, and material wise what used to take 1-2 weeks to get is now 6-10 weeks. Used to be able to get siding in 10 days - now 8 weeks. Problem is that manufacturers are short man power due to Covid-19 and workers falling out. Chain reaction throughout the whole process from start to finish, from raw materials to finished product to delivery. Rolling stone. Love Schiit's transparency about the matter. But yes - USPS and others are lagging as well. Since I am waiting on siding, guess I will go listen to some Schiit.

Jan 15, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #70,266 of 150,897
I haven‘t used a disc player for a while despite having 600+ cds. In the last year I’ve been using a pi with Volumio playing from a hard drive. But you guys got me thinking and so i stole my Oppo UDP-203 from my living room system and plugged it into my main rig. I connected it to the Modi Multibit and broke out some cds.

Holy Schiit! Why does this sound so much better?! I don’t know. Maybe I’m fooling myself but I could swear it sounds more dynamic.

Jan 15, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #70,267 of 150,897
I haven‘t used a disc player for a while despite having 600+ cds. In the last year I’ve been using a pi with Volumio playing from a hard drive. But you guys got me thinking and so i stole my Oppo UDP-203 from my living room system and plugged it into my main rig. I connected it to the Modi Multibit and broke out some cds.

Holy Schiit! Why does this sound so much better?! I don’t know. Maybe I’m fooling myself but I could swear it sounds more dynamic.
That’s exactly how I felt. I bought a Yamaha multi format player so I could hear some of my SACD’s and use it as a transport to the Yggy (until Urd comes). Although I had no intentions of it making a difference, my CDs do sound better than the ripped files. Admittedly my set up is just ripping AIFF files on Apple Music and using roon. Im sure someone could pick it apart but I’m not looking to have a massive digital library. I prefer to stream what I want and spin my favorite CDs that aren’t available through Qobuz.

Jan 15, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #70,268 of 150,897
Why all this uncertainty? Well, the popular excuse is COVID. As in, “COVID is happening, so our leadtimes are extended,” or “Due to the COVID restrictions, we can’t be as efficient in shipping your order anymore.” So this might just be an extended ramification of the global pandemic. Which is what it is. The main thing is that we are dealing with much more chaos now, which makes things even more, er, challenging.

The pandemic + global demand + global semiconductor shortage/demand. There is an article in Reuters today that reports that it's even affecting the auto industry, causing Ford Motor Co, Subaru Corp and Toyota Motor Corp to curtail production in the United States.

Automakers affected in other markets include Volkswagen, Nissan Motor Co Ltd and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles:

"The problems stem from a confluence of factors as auto manufacturers compete against the sprawling consumer electronics industry for chip supplies. Consumers have stocked up on laptops, gaming consoles and other electronic products during the pandemic, creating tight chip supplies throughout 2020. They have also bought more cars than industry officials expected last spring, further straining supplies ..."

Jan 15, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #70,269 of 150,897
The pandemic + global demand + global semiconductor shortage/demand. There is an article in Reuters today that reports that it's even affecting the auto industry, causing Ford Motor Co, Subaru Corp and Toyota Motor Corp to curtail production in the United States.

Automakers affected in other markets include Volkswagen, Nissan Motor Co Ltd and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles:

"The problems stem from a confluence of factors as auto manufacturers compete against the sprawling consumer electronics industry for chip supplies. Consumers have stocked up on laptops, gaming consoles and other electronic products during the pandemic, creating tight chip supplies throughout 2020. They have also bought more cars than industry officials expected last spring, further straining supplies ..."
Ah, Schiit no !!!! I certainly hope that this confluence isn‘t another pandemic virus ! 😏

Jan 15, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #70,270 of 150,897
That’s exactly how I felt. I bought a Yamaha multi format player so I could hear some of my SACD’s and use it as a transport to the Yggy (until Urd comes).

Which Yamaha player? I've been playing a lot of CDs lately too. But, I do have a few SACDs I'd like to support (don't tell Mike), and a multi-format player, with RCA out's, would be fine for that. Thanks. :grinning:

Jan 15, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #70,271 of 150,897

No joke i bought the Oppo203 over other players for the SACD capability just to play Dark Side of the Moon in Quadraphonic. That is an experience, let me tell you. Not the same as critical listening 2ch stereo separation and sound stage, but more akin to getting sucked into a movie. I didn't know multiformat players are taboo but that will never stop me from enjoying it. I should probably refrain from praising a discontinued bluray player in a headphone forum.

Jan 15, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #70,272 of 150,897
Which Yamaha player? I've been playing a lot of CDs lately too. But, I do have a few SACDs I'd like to support (don't tell Mike), and a multi-format player, with RCA out's, would be fine for that. Thanks. :grinning:
Yamaha Aventage BD-A1060. I chose it because it possessed balanced outs for native SACD and is favorably compared to Oppo (without the price tag). In my opinion, SACD is an excellent format if you don’t have a great DAC. A multi bit DAC produces more life-like and correct timbres IMHO. All my SACDs are hybrids so I just rip those files and play them through the Mac minI now. I bought it just as a stop gap until the Urd comes out and it has been better than I anticipated.

Jan 15, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #70,273 of 150,897

Less noise better output/input matching! I hear the same, a lot more juice on tap it seems but when I listen with my room correction software the Mac sounds better!

Trade offs, trade offs ....

Jan 15, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #70,274 of 150,897
Most people send a rip to a DAC via an electrically noisy computer and a mediocre USB audio implementation. A good CD transport should beat that. But there's no technical reason that I've ever heard why a good streaming transport should be inferior to a CD transport. It's just that most streaming transports are designed for features, not for the best possible electrical behavior. It's not even a question of price, but one of minimal, careful design. I'm sure that Mike could design a streaming transport as good as Urd, it's just that Schiit does not want to be in the streaming software business, and I don't blame them.

That makes perfect sense to me @earnmyturns
I have also never understood why a good streaming transport should be inferior to a CD transport, but I do not claim to fully understand the technology.
I don't use a noisy computer to send ripped CDs to my DAC, and I don't use USB ( I use BNC S/PDIF).
I do not currently have a high quality CD transport as my Arcam Alpha Plus CD Player is about 25 years old!
However, I have compared it with ripped files using its RCA S/PDIF digital output to my Yggy.
The ripped files sound marginally better, to my ears, but this is an old CD transport.
The convenience of streaming ripped local files and Qobuz is certainly a major advantage compared with CDs, providing there is not a noticeable sacrifice in sound quality.
Some audio manufacturers, like Linn in the UK, have stopped making CD players altogether, as they are convinced that a well designed streaming transport is superior.
I do not 'need' a CD transport, but I am certainly intrigued to learn just how good Mike's 'Urd' will be.
I'll probably wait to read reactions from other forum members when it is released, before biting the bullet.
I suspect that in terms of 'bang per buck' a 'Lokiest' might be a more sensible purchase, but then I probably wouldn't be an audiophile if I was 'sensible' :beyersmile:

Jan 15, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #70,275 of 150,897
I suspect that in terms of 'bang per buck' a 'Lokiest' might be a more sensible purchase, but then I probably wouldn't be an audiophile if I was 'sensible' :beyersmile:

You know about four years John Darko of Darko.Audio fame posted a video of a factory tour at the Schiithole where Jason introduced one of the Schiit crew as the "Redneck Audiophile", which the PIQ immediately corrected as Audio Enthusiast. I've been using this term ever since, since it's a better fit imho to describe who I am when it comes to my relationship with music and audio gear.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back