Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 14, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #70,246 of 150,920
Great, isn’t it?:L3000:Yes this forum really is amazing, I much prefer it over The Facebook:sweat_smile:

Thanks for the tips on ales! I don’t drink often, but when I do, I have come to prefer ales and especially IPAs. And luckily for me, it is possible to get hold of a good selection of them even over here (I was especially happy to find out that Meantime is also available, albeit by ordering in advance).
Cheers! :beerchug:

I have only tried two beers from Sweden, and both them I have tagged as 5/5 in my records. They are from Omnipollo Brewing, and are Nebuchadnezzar and Fatamorgana. Both at 8% plus and IPA. I wish I could easily get more of them here in Aus they were excellent in my view.

Jan 14, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #70,247 of 150,920
I was only suggesting an alternate topic to argue about discuss that would culminate with an identical result. :stuck_out_tongue:
I'm not going near that one. I don't think Texans make tubes, so there is nothing to defend.

ROFL! I (personally) would much rather have a Fosters than a Bud/Miller/Coors Lite that taste mostly like fermented water. :smile: Edit: fermented dishwater. :worried:
I think you're giving those too much credit... Yuck.

Jan 14, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #70,248 of 150,920
It was great to see and hear Mike again last night.
Well worth waiting up for!
One thing I picked up on is that the new CD Transport will have several USB inputs, and outputs will include Unison USB and conventional S/PDIF.
Mike is clearly excited about Unison USB when used with both a Unison 'transmitter' and receiver.
If it is as good as he says, and I have no reason to doubt Mike, he will really be on to something!
I have a question about the 'digital hub' aspect of the new Transport for anyone who might know the answer or can correct me for asking a stupid question...
Will the 'Urd' have a conventional S/PDIF digital input and therefore be able to operate as a S/PDIF to Unison USB converter?

My question: What benefit will a CD transport, as good as I'm sure the Schitt transport will be, provide over a well ripped CD, much less HD streaming?

I'm not knocking the idea, I have thousands of CD's I've ripped to FLAC I'd love to unload pass-on to today's audiophile.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #70,250 of 150,920
My question: What benefit will a CD transport, as good as I'm sure the Schitt transport will be, provide over a well ripped CD, much less HD streaming?

I'm not knocking the idea, I have thousands of CD's I've ripped to FLAC I'd love to unload pass-on to today's audiophile.
My cheap “transport” spun CDs sound better to my ears than a ripped FLAC, ALAC, or AIFF file. I’m not sure if I’m crazy or not. I’ve read some people feel a transport makes a big difference and I’ve also seen others say that is crazy talk. I just like grabbing a CD and playing it.

Jan 14, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #70,251 of 150,920

Mike Moffat has always maintained that a good CD transport is still the best way to replay digital audio.
That's why he's designed a CD Transport.
I am certainly not going to argue with one of the pioneers of digital audio :beyersmile:

Jan 14, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #70,252 of 150,920
My cheap “transport” spun CDs sound better to my ears than a ripped FLAC, ALAC, or AIFF file. I’m not sure if I’m crazy or not. I’ve read some people feel a transport makes a big difference and I’ve also seen others say that is crazy talk. I just like grabbing a CD and playing it.
You are not alone Randolf. I‘ve never downloaded music or listened to music in FLAC, ALAC, DSD, ad infinitum. I listen to CDs & [horror of horrors from the purists’ viewpoint] I use an equalizer also. I also alternate between my Woo Audio WA6-SE gen. 2 & my vintage Kenwood KA-8006 intergrated amplifier , 70wpc, [1974]. And double horror of horrors my vintage amp has tone adjustment features which I use in tandem with my Schiit Loki EQ. The sound is out of this world, simultaneously dynamic and detailed with instrument separation, tight bass, excellent sub bass and mids to die for. I’m quite happy with my set up.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #70,253 of 150,920

Well it depends how far off the deep end you go but some people I've talked to say CD transports to a good DAC sound better than streaming, even when the file quality should equal CD (aka 16/44.1 FLAC)

Is it because more electrical noise comes out of most computers or streamers? Or is it because of jitter from the source? I'm not sure the exact technical reasons.

I've heard CD Transports like the Audiolab CDT6000 and Cambridge CXC sound way better than playing CDs in a bluray player, I almost bought one to see for myself but I'd like to wait for the Urd to have the same Unison input/output, matching chassis and buy from a company I can get behind.

I also think some people like physically owning something and being able to look at the cover art and booklet. CDs aren't as much work as vinyl and many of us already own amazing multi-bit DACs.

Jan 14, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #70,254 of 150,920
Mike Moffat has always maintained that a good CD transport is still the best way to replay digital audio.
That's why he's designed a CD Transport.
I am certainly not going to argue with one of the pioneers of digital audio :beyersmile:
+1 - I re-ripped my library from iTunes (lossless) to .WAV - I'm running Roon. I'm hearing a difference. ANY form of conversion from a Redbook CD is going to result in a file format that is simply different; is that important? Very curious to find out....

Jan 14, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #70,255 of 150,920
I gave up and a used Vidar is inbound. With an extra Eitr and god knows what else, some kind of headphone adapter to the Vidar. What did I do?

I was talking with a buddy outside the university building we chose to lurk around (we were both social science majors) and a woman is talking to us about gear. And she says, "you must really love music" to spend that much thought and money on gear.

I stopped, and looked at her, and in all seriousness explained, "If I cared about music, I'd go see live music. I'd play music. I don't like music. I care about gear. I enjoy listening to music knowing it sounds better because of my gear." People who care about music discuss music. People who care about gear discuss gear.

ha! :D

well, you know what you want! But go to the audiophile forums you will always hear (or read) OOOOHHHH NOOOOO, is all about the music, man...

:D

v

Jan 14, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #70,256 of 150,920
...ANY form of conversion from a Redbook CD is going to result in a file format that is simply different....
And by extension, a CD playing on a good transport sent to a good DAC will sound better than a CD 'rip' sent to the same DAC?

I'm on board with that.

On my system, the best sound I can get is from my Oppo BDP-93 via spdif to my Modi Multibit.

Having said that, I prefer listening to my CD rips (lossless FLACs) and Qobuz via my Synology NAS > Roon > Modi Multibit because the overall experience is just fantastic.

The sound quality difference between the above vs. playing direct from the CD player is discernible, but just barely.

Jan 14, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #70,257 of 150,920
Just thinking that Bifrost 2>Jot 2>Aeolus might be my new favorite combo since I got the Jot 2. Today I got an email from Dan Clark Audio informing me that my Aeon RT Closed has shipped! Although I still need to get an adapter to use that with Lyr 3.

Jan 14, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #70,258 of 150,920
And by extension, a CD playing on a good transport sent to a good DAC will sound better than a CD 'rip' sent to the same DAC?
Most people send a rip to a DAC via an electrically noisy computer and a mediocre USB audio implementation. A good CD transport should beat that. But there's no technical reason that I've ever heard why a good streaming transport should be inferior to a CD transport. It's just that most streaming transports are designed for features, not for the best possible electrical behavior. It's not even a question of price, but one of minimal, careful design. I'm sure that Mike could design a streaming transport as good as Urd, it's just that Schiit does not want to be in the streaming software business, and I don't blame them.

Jan 15, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #70,259 of 150,920
it's just that Schiit does not want to be in the streaming software business, and I don't blame them.
The company they buy the transport mechanism from also is a supplier of streamer software. So who knows, one day.
This company would take all the software trouble out of the hands of Schiit. If Jason and Mike want to go there?

I respect all you fellow Schiit heads musings about CD versus streaming but I have to point out that Unison USB is the key technology here that makes the difference.
There is a "closed loop" controlled protocol from CD platter bits to DAC chips. All the way the electrical noise and the bits are controlled in the way the Schiit team wants it to be.
In basic there is no difference between bits from CD or streaming, but the way the bits are handled and the electrical digital signal is manipulated and handled that is quite a different subject.
With Unison USB hub in the Urd you can now really compare streaming and CD because all the incoming bits are treated 100% identical all the way.
Can't wait to see the release.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back