Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 5, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #58,186 of 149,745
LOL read the books, he did have some serious structural damage at one point.

Thanks to Pietro for helping with some brass badges and for correcting my Latin. This is a gift for a friend, I am testing it and then it gets shipped out sometime this week. thumbnail_IMG_2005.jpg

Apr 5, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #58,187 of 149,745
Apr 5, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #58,188 of 149,745
And just like that, with the Magni 3+ in my system, I find I don't need the Eitr in the chain anymore. The sound is clear and punchy enough without the Eitr, and with it in the system the sound is too strident.

Apr 5, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #58,190 of 149,745
That's excellent. Glad to hear you are enjoying them.
I underestimated Ringo for a long time, but I've grown to appreciate him more and more over the years.
I'm a trombone player and was fortunate enough to play The Who show a few months ago with Zak Starkey (Ringo's son) on drums. He's fantastic - he seems to have picked up where his dad left off. As a young man I was a member of the Buddy Rich band and I've worked with great drummers for the next fifty years. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed Mr. Starkey

Apr 5, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #58,191 of 149,745
@bcowen just noticed the "change" in your equipment list. sorry about your koetsu black. :) from the 80's or 90's right?

Thanks (sob). I don't remember exactly when I bought it but it was mid-to-late 90's. Really loved that cartridge. I might try and get it rebuilt at some point, but seeing it's now sans cantilever, it'd probably never sound the same. :frowning2:

Apr 5, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #58,192 of 149,745
I'm a trombone player and was fortunate enough to play The Who show a few months ago with Zak Starkey (Ringo's son) on drums. He's fantastic - he seems to have picked up where his dad left off. As a young man I was a member of the Buddy Rich band and I've worked with great drummers for the next fifty years. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed Mr. Starkey

Buddy could really drive a band...

Given your background/capabilities, that's high praise for Zak! Will have to keep an eye for him in the future :)

Apr 5, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #58,193 of 149,745
Thanks (sob). I don't remember exactly when I bought it but it was mid-to-late 90's. Really loved that cartridge. I might try and get it rebuilt at some point, but seeing it's now sans cantilever, it'd probably never sound the same. :frowning2:

No!!! I owned a Black in the late 80's and loved it. Not as much as the original Rosewood but IIRC the Black was about $695 back then while the Rosewood and Onyx were quite a bit dearer. Koetsu has a rebuild service but from the web site you will need at least the magnets. http://www.koetsuaudio.com/rebuild. I wouldn't hazard a guess on the price. My condolences! :cry:

Apr 5, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #58,194 of 149,745
Did you make the stupid teenager pay up?

Apr 5, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #58,195 of 149,745
No!!! I owned a Black in the late 80's and loved it. Not as much as the original Rosewood but IIRC the Black was about $695 back then while the Rosewood and Onyx were quite a bit dearer. Koetsu has a rebuild service but from the web site you will need at least the magnets. http://www.koetsuaudio.com/rebuild. I wouldn't hazard a guess on the price. My condolences! :cry:
wow, I just saw a table that had the Coralstone, no idea it cost as much as it does.

Apr 6, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #58,196 of 149,745
Yes, the stereo is only a display for filming purposes. I don't watch TV and had no idea what "Bosch" is, and searched on the image.
https://ww94.elgolfantasma.com/is-harry-bosch-house-real.html

I wondered about that too. I presume that the house has a cantilevered foundation. The posts underneath are certainly not structural.
I'm in Los Angeles, and grew up in the San Fernando Valley, close to where Jason grew up. Starting In the 1950's, maybe even the 1940's, builders started building houses in local mountains that hung out into space. I rented one for a while when I was a student. It was not a fancy show case house, and made to look like a "normal" structure. Buildings like this were a solution to building on a steep slope. Part of the buildings are "directly" attached to the ground where the street is. There are thousand of buildings like that. Sometimes the land gives way...
...but not too often. And see Jason's post above about earthquakes.
I vaguely think that few if any are being built this way anymore. Insurance would be one issue.

Apr 6, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #58,197 of 149,745
I just heard from @RCBinTN that Turkey shooting was declared an essential survival tool.
Here's my recipe.
First take a living Turkey.
Put it on a diet of grain, clutched eggs and wipsie for 5 days.
After that, take it by the throat and slowly strangle it so a maximum of blood reaches the muscles.
Pluck and cook.

Okay, I tried googling and give up. When I look up "wispie" there are a lot of hits for fake eyelashes. What, pray tell, is the definition of wispie?
On a slightly different topic, Nero Wolfe every year ordered up some young fowl that ate a lot of blueberries. The flesh had a blue tinge.

Apr 6, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #58,198 of 149,745
Okay, I tried googling and give up. When I look up "wispie" there are a lot of hits for fake eyelashes. What, pray tell, is the definition of wispie?
On a slightly different topic, Nero Wolfe every year ordered up some young fowl that ate a lot of blueberries. The flesh had a blue tinge.

I found something called "wapsie" a high-yielding and reliable silage corn (whatever that is)

Apr 6, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #58,199 of 149,745

@bcowen the original post (#58189) was supposed to have frowny face :frowning2: and not a smiley. might be worth it to have it rebuilt, considering what the other Koetsu models are costing (or offer some tubes in exchange for the rebuild cost).

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #58,200 of 149,745
I found something called "wapsie" a high-yielding and reliable silage corn (whatever that is)
Oops! I misspelled wipsie as wispie in my post above. But I was searching for wipsie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back