Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 29, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #149,732 of 151,971
Understandable. What happens when you switch from phones to speakers? :joy:

1714427353107.png

Apr 29, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #149,733 of 151,971
I'm in the market for a record cleaning machine and appreciate the input - any input actually. 😁
I have the bone simple $80 Spin Clean that is on it's 3rd set of brushes... it works like a charm for deep cleaning. For daily cleaning, K bought me a Record Doctor 5 last Christmas. I'm pretty much covered w/r/t record maintenance with these two devices. You can't go wrong with the Spin Clean, it's brilliant.

Apr 29, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #149,734 of 151,971
I have the bone simple $80 Spin Clean that is on it's 3rd set of brushes... it works like a charm for deep cleaning. For daily cleaning, K bought me a Record Doctor 5 last Christmas. I'm pretty much covered w/r/t record maintenance with these two devices. You can't go wrong with the Spin Clean, it's brilliant.
The Spin Clean is what I have. Not in the red or blue Beatles version, just stock yellow.

Sometimes, for flea market LPs, I've run a record through several times. In that situation, as Jacqueline Suzanne said, Once is not enough.

Apr 29, 2024 at 7:13 PM Post #149,735 of 151,971
They were sent to me by a nice frequent member of this thread....
I used to have a few 12au7 variants I used with a BH Crack years ago and sold or gave away most of them
Tom sent me these variants to try in a Vali 3. Using a adapter to allow for the 12AU7's.
I also have a Vali 2+ and an adapter for it as well.

I have already listened to all of them for a few minutes each to make sure the tubes are functional..
Over the next week I hope to get down to my favorites!

Tons of fun here.
The Schiit Vali series punches way above its $150 price tag...and with a good tube is pretty close to as good as it gets!
IMO!

Alex

1st pass:
1714255969273.png

2nd Pass:

1714256002192.png

Interesting the C1FTE went down to number 5!
The Amperex, Brimar and JAN-CBRZ 12AU7 are close, but the Amperex does seem to shine a tad brighter than its neighbors!!
Any of these are very nice but like anything in this hobby there are differences like in fine wines...

The second test was with the D8000 Pros, a darker / warmer can, but very resolving. Stuck with one song in particular.
All nice tubes once again!

Thanks to Tom for letting me try these!!
:>)
Alex

Alex
Wound up with these 12AU7's:
The RCA is decent but is microphonic.
Headed for the .....sad.

Listened with several cans, but tonight after a loooooong day I am relaxing with a listen with some seldom
used any more HD 650's...
Surprisingly nice with the Landsdale 1952 JAN-CBRZ 12AU7...Vali 3.
Wondeful amp and tube...
Lucious sound.
Thanks Tom!
Alex
1714432224676.png

Apr 29, 2024 at 7:36 PM Post #149,736 of 151,971
Wound up with these 12AU7's:
The RCA is decent but is microphonic.
Headed for the .....sad.

Listened with several cans, but tonight after a loooooong day I am relaxing with a listen with some seldom
used any more HD 650's...
Surprisingly nice with the Landsdale 1952 JAN-CBRZ 12AU7...Vali 3.
Wondeful amp and tube...
Lucious sound.
Thanks Tom!
Alex
I am running those Landsdales in my PrimaLuna now. I also really like the Amperex and Mazdas. I have a feeling @bcowen will concur, or not.🤪🤪

Apr 29, 2024 at 7:55 PM Post #149,738 of 151,971
On edit: I forgot that many (most) of the wells in the Edwards aquifer have issues with Iron Sulfide; water literally stinks. We forced the folks renting us the house to install special filtration; they claimed they didn’t smell it (it was disgusting). Rain water has no such problems.
Stinky well water is what I remember from 1 of our more remote rentals 15+ years ago in that area. Was a different pace / vibe, with key coded gate off the road but no locks on the house set back on the property.

Would rent a place for a week semi close to the nearby outlet malls for the wife, and would pack an xbox for me. 😜. I'll hafta go lookup our 1 favorite rental, as I think it changed hands but looked alot like Jason's pic terrain wise.

We've done some nice vacations in blue ridge mountain rentals in North Carolina for that style of get away, but got accustomed to the fill the SUV packing plan in keeping it within the state. Hahaha.

Apr 29, 2024 at 8:19 PM Post #149,739 of 151,971
I agree. I have a Spin Clean too and for the three to five albums at-a-time that I buy it is fine. If I had a massive amount to clean I suppose you could justify a Degritter... But for occasional use and small amounts of cleaning Spin Clean serves me just fine.

Apr 29, 2024 at 8:20 PM Post #149,740 of 151,971
So, what’s wrong with some rotten eggs? <grin>

I’ve lived in a lot of places from both coasts, to AZ, CO and Michigan in between; Texas South-most, NH North-most.. and everywhere has bugs… and features.

At least you can get systems (around $2K if you do the work yourself) that will totally eliminate the Iron-sulfide smell. Water’s still hard, mind you, but hey… if you are into African Cichlids in your aquarium, that’s a feature!

Apr 29, 2024 at 8:26 PM Post #149,741 of 151,971
I've had a VinylStyle Deep Groove cleaner for a few years and it has done a good job. It's a lot like Spin Clean but has goat hair bristle pads as opposed to the velour looking pads

Just took possession of a HumminGuru and giving it a go. I preferred an Ultrasonic cleaner and dryer and the price was right, so I thought why not. I'll keep the Vinyl Style for used records needing a more thorough scrubbing and use the HG to clean anything it misses or for new albums.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 8:35 PM Post #149,742 of 151,971
And tonight's Jazz recommendation...

1000005614.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 8:52 PM Post #149,744 of 151,971

Let’s face it: massively oversized, double-walled, Schiit-sourced cardboard boxes are the most comfortable of cardboard boxes.

Could also just be him boycotting my packing efforts for the upcoming move. Who’s to say, really.
A perfect cat collection system.😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back