Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 5, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #58,171 of 152,544
Apr 5, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #58,172 of 152,544
Wireless speakers.
How modern for the day.

I didn't even notice that. I was fixated on that really short skirt and how her legs are all wrinkly. Wait....are those pants? Crap.

Apr 5, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #58,174 of 152,544
PSX_20200405_195953.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #58,175 of 152,544
I can't remember the last time I went to an actual branch. Up in Canada (nearly) all banking can be done online or with a phone app, and everyone but panhandlers accept debit or credit, which can be done with a tap of your phone.

When social isolation kicked in I got an email from my branch detailing their shutdown and how to access their services. I read it over and thought, 'huh, no change in my routine.'

FWIW most stores are asking shoppers to NOT use cash if at all possible, and I know of a butcher who recently had a heart transplant flat-out refusing to accept cash until this is over.

I do mostly auto pay and online payments.
But I am old school. I regularly went into the bank to make deposits, make payments and get cash. I know the people and they know me.
I used cash for a lot of things, only yard guy now. Card for everything.
Old school dies hard; so drive up window for now.

Sunday afternoon drive around is next. No stopping, only sight seeing.

Apr 5, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #58,177 of 152,544
From what I have read version 4 of the Raspberry Pi separates the USB and Ethernet busses which ameliorated some of the noise issues.

However I have not yet been able to find any articles or reviews or comparisons of using v4 for audio without a HAT, so I don't know how well it solves the problem.

I have 2 RPi 4s running RoPieee, one on a Bifrost 2 and one on a Gungnir MultiBit. The Gungnir MultiBit has Unison on one USB port of the RPi 4 and a Mutec MC-1.2 and MC-3+ with a 10MHz Rubidium Clock feeding it.

There is no quality difference, the RPi 4 is great as is the Unison input. All in my opinion of course.

Apr 5, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #58,179 of 152,544
Here's the image.

boschsys.824x0-is.jpg

Those are Ohm Walsh 2s, I believe. I've been curious about them. There was a pair on sale for $250 near me a couple years ago, but I didn't jump on 'em. Don't think they'd even fit well in my tiny space. I did a little research though, Ohm Speakers sells driver upgrades for old cabinets, which is pretty cool.

Apr 5, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #58,181 of 152,544
From what I have read version 4 of the Raspberry Pi separates the USB and Ethernet busses which ameliorated some of the noise issues.

However I have not yet been able to find any articles or reviews or comparisons of using v4 for audio without a HAT, so I don't know how well it solves the problem.
That may be why my AB test using pi 4 usb vs Allo DigiOne into modi3 doesn’t seem to make much diff. Not a scientific comparison, but hard to pinpoint any significant difference.

Apr 5, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #58,182 of 152,544
I'm doing some side-by-side comparison between the Magni 3+ and the Asgard 3, and I'm definitely noticing richer, fuller bass and a better sense of depth to instruments, whereas on the Magni everything sounds very crisp, but almost a bit brittle in comparison. "Thin" isn't quite the right word, but lacking dimension compared to the Asgard. The Magni at first sounds snappier, because everything is more "right there," but listening more the Asgard presentation is more filled out, deep, keeping resonance as well as detail. These are both fantastic sounding and amazing for their prices, and I'm still giggling at how well the both beat the $400 Monoprice 887 for me. (How can people deal with the compressed transients on the THX unit? Bah. Comparing to the Magni ruined it for me.)

Apr 5, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #58,183 of 152,544

That looks, um, not safe? No biggie if the rest of the 'stereo' falls down the side of the cliff, but that MC-240 should be moved to solid ground. Putting a classic in harm's way is immoral and should probably be illegal. :)

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #58,184 of 152,544

Users who are viewing this thread

Back