Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 5, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #58,141 of 153,772
Saturday night:
Only outing since last Sunday's afternoon drive was a trip to the bank window.

"Blues, A Celebration of"; on the house systems.
I have 19 Cds of the series, not sure if that is all of them. Shuffle play.

Barleywine Beer for me, Red Wine for A.
A bit of Scotch, Lagavulin.
Another wonderful dinner, in this old house's dinning room, A's mother's china, seated across the long ends of the table, movie style.
HPM 100s across the living room. Aside - the HPM 100s do very well, outstanding.
Again, Damn good.

Now - Beyerdynamic T1 2nd from Valhalla 2 (6N1P-V (6Н1ПВ) OTK NOVOSIBIRSK - NOS - 1958 - Gold Grid & 6N6P Novosibirsk - Gold Grid & Pin - NOS 1978) -> Pioneer Series 20 Program Selector U24 -> Gungnir MB, Unison USB ->Wyrd -> iMac Apple Lossless
Wonderful!

Be safe, keep family and friends safe.
Do what you do, adapt and overcome.
Stay happy/insane.
Enjoy the music.

That sounds like a wonderful day and atmosphere. Being home bound it is good to know that if you get wine shipped to your place, you will most likely be there to sign for it. My wife and I have managed to not leave the house for a couple weeks now and our food and drink supply is holding up quite nicely. I am working from home but find time to learn some woodworking and metal work in order thumbnail_IMG_1925.jpg to help friends with a tube related project. I just finished reading the entire Harry Bosch book series and took time to listen to all the jazz referenced in the books. Lots of Art Pepper, Miles Davis, etc. I happened to find this listing but it may have more to do with the tv series than the books, but either way, some fine listening.

thumbnail_IMG_1983.jpgthumbnail_IMG_1991.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #58,142 of 153,772
...Would be interesting if Schiit were to create an optimized audio channel device for the Raspberry. They could call it a Schiit Pi...

This is what Jason said about the Schiit Pi:
Yes, that's part of what we're working on. But it's best not to think of it as a Schiit Raspberry Pi, because it will never be sold separately--it's just an engine to enable much higher signal processing capability, upgradability, and modularity. It'll always be internal, hidden in a product--and the news won't be about the SPi, it'll be about the product.

Apr 5, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #58,143 of 153,772
I just heard from @RCBinTN that Turkey shooting was declared an essential survival tool.
Here's my recipe.
First take a living Turkey.
Put it on a diet of grain, clutched eggs and wipsie for 5 days.
After that, take it by the throat and slowly strangle it so a maximum of blood reaches the muscles.
Pluck and cook.

Apr 5, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #58,144 of 153,772
I just heard from @RCBinTN that Turkey shooting was declared an essential survival tool.
Here's my recipe.
First take a living Turkey.
Put it on a diet of grain, clutched eggs and wipsie for 5 days.
After that, take it by the throat and slowly strangle it so a maximum of blood reaches the muscles.
Pluck and cook.

Is it necessary to whisk the clutched eggs and wipsie together or can they be fed seperately?

:wink:

JC

Apr 5, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #58,145 of 153,772
That sounds like a wonderful day and atmosphere. Being home bound it is good to know that if you get wine shipped to your place, you will most likely be there to sign for it. My wife and I have managed to not leave the house for a couple weeks now and our food and drink supply is holding up quite nicely. I am working from home but find time to learn some woodworking and metal work in orderthumbnail_IMG_1925.jpg to help friends with a tube related project. I just finished reading the entire Harry Bosch book series and took time to listen to all the jazz referenced in the books. Lots of Art Pepper, Miles Davis, etc. I happened to find this listing but it may have more to do with the tv series than the books, but either way, some fine listening.

thumbnail_IMG_1983.jpgthumbnail_IMG_1991.jpg

That's a mighty fine looking amp chassis! However, the referenced playlist is notably missing any Marilyn Manson, so must therefore be discounted. :)

Apr 5, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #58,147 of 153,772
So just to clarify, you're saying that using Unison USB provided by, say, a Bifrost 2 will completely repair the degraded signal that an *unmodified* RPI's noisy circuitry -- including its dual USB bus that's shared with Ethernet -- sends downstream?
Not in my system.

My Sonore MicroRendu to Unison Gumby sounds better than my RPi to Unison Gumby.

Apr 5, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #58,149 of 153,772
Whisking the grain, eggs and wipsie together makes it easier for the bird to eat it.

So you're concerned about the presentation and palatability of the bird's meal right before you strangle it to death? :)

I guess this is similar to the glorious final meal right before someone on death row is executed. I mean, if you didn't feed them anything it's not like they're in danger of starving to death....

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #58,150 of 153,772
That's a mighty fine looking amp chassis! However, the referenced playlist is notably missing any Marilyn Manson, so must therefore be discounted. :)
I like the light and dark of that particular wood, it is kind of like when @bcowen mixes red wine and white wine, hoping to create a rose'

No doubt in all his years in audio, Mr Cowen has heard of the band pass filter and the notch filter. I am working to perfect the Manson filter. Other frequencies will be lost in that specific range but them's the breaks.:ksc75smile:

On the subject of killing turkeys, no doubt you could strangle a domestic turkey but the wild turkey is a different type of animal all together and some skill is required to hunt and kill one of those. :)

Apr 5, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #58,151 of 153,772
Apr 5, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #58,152 of 153,772
Not in my system.

My Sonore MicroRendu to Unison Gumby sounds better than my RPi to Unison Gumby.

And that's why I'm curious how/whether this will work to dramatically improve a network audio stream signal upstream of a DAC:

"Yes, that's part of what we're working on. But it's best not to think of it as a Schiit Raspberry Pi, because it will never be sold separately--it's just an engine to enable much higher signal processing capability, upgradability, and modularity. It'll always be internal, hidden in a product--and the news won't be about the SPi, it'll be about the product."

Apr 5, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #58,153 of 153,772
Hi DACattack,
I have now had a chance to listen to all of those Giles Martin remixes/remasters.
You are absolutely right; all are exquisitely done!
They sound so good I have become a fan of the Fab Four all over again.
In particular, I now understand why so many drummers rated Ringo Starr.
Some of the drumming on Abbey Road and The White Album in particular, is brilliant.
The best thing though, is that all the music sounds real and natural, and on a revealing system with the brilliant Yggy A2, it feels like I am in the studio.
Wonderful!
It doesn't sound 'digital' at all.
I think that these remasters are probably the best I've ever heard- even better than Steve Wilson's very good remasters of Yes, Jethro Tull etc.
It means I won't be going down the vinyl 'rabbit hole'.... for now.

That's excellent. Glad to hear you are enjoying them.
I underestimated Ringo for a long time, but I've grown to appreciate him more and more over the years.
And, guess what just came in the mail? The vinyl Giles remaster of Abbey Road. I couldn't resist doing a side-by-side comparison of at least one of them.
Happy listening!

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #58,154 of 153,772
I just finished reading the entire Harry Bosch book series and took time to listen to all the jazz referenced in the books. Lots of Art Pepper, Miles Davis, etc. I happened to find this listing but it may have more to do with the tv series than the books, but either way, some fine listening.

You've been busy! Very nice stuff.

I did the same thing and put together a jazz playlist from the books. (I haven't watched the series yet.)

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #58,155 of 153,772
And that's why I'm curious how/whether this will work to dramatically improve a network audio stream signal upstream of a DAC:

"Yes, that's part of what we're working on. But it's best not to think of it as a Schiit Raspberry Pi, because it will never be sold separately--it's just an engine to enable much higher signal processing capability, upgradability, and modularity. It'll always be internal, hidden in a product--and the news won't be about the SPi, it'll be about the product."
Probably my comparison is not the best. It is two entirely different devices, one a single board computer dedicated to audio and the other a general purpose computer.

Although the point for me was can Unison Make the $100 rapsberry pi combo sound as good as or better than the $700 microRendu. I was hoping that it would because I randomly have connection issues with the Mr.

A better scientific approach would be to try the Rapsberry Pi to wyred to Unison and then Pi directly to Unison. They should sound the same at best case to prove what Unison is doing. I have neither the time, patience or inclination to go through that process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back