Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 5, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #58,158 of 152,149
...On the subject of killing turkeys, no doubt you could strangle a domestic turkey but the wild turkey is a different type of animal all together and some skill is required to hunt and kill one of those. :)

Or...you could just call Uber Liquors :wink:

FWIW...I know some folks that could kill one very easily on weekend! :astonished:

1586098724165.png

Apr 5, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #58,159 of 152,149
I'm very much a new Schiit-head but the sound of the Magni 3+ next to the Monoprice 887 THX, both new to me, was enough to not just leave me very impressed and surprised (I mean, that's a $300 difference), but also ordering an Asgard 3 to see if I could get the one thing I preferred on the 887, which was bigger, richer bass.

The Asgard 3 arrived yesterday and last night I got to listening. I haven't even begun the side-by-side comparisons with the Magni 3+ (I'm pretty curious to hear the differences), and the 887 already went back, but I'm already very, very impressed. I've been listening with my HD660S, and honestly the Asgard is almost too powerful -- I have to be careful. The snap and punch from good transient dynamics is still there -- what I preferred in the Magni over the Monoprice -- but it does seem like there's a bit more in the low-end and honestly just that much more detail and soundstage. Even at lower volumes it just feels like everything gets all the power it needs to express itself. I guess that's the sort of thing you get with a well-designed amp that has plenty of power.

My only complaint is that there's a very slight deeper line on the brushed aluminum front, which makes for a minor cosmetic blemish. I hate that I'm neurotic enough to notice, and I'll probably forget about it in a day or so, but it's kinda nagging at me. :smile:

Apr 5, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #58,160 of 152,149
Apr 5, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #58,161 of 152,149
So just to clarify, you're saying that using Unison USB provided by, say, a Bifrost 2 will completely repair the degraded signal that an *unmodified* RPI's noisy circuitry -- including its dual USB bus that's shared with Ethernet -- sends downstream?
Yes. There is no Audible difference in quality on my system whether USB is coming from pc or pi. None whatsoever. I use Unison USB in my Yggdrasil A2. And maybe I should add. Previously I used balanced SP/DIF from a totally galvanic separated RME pro sound card. The PC and Pi to Unison USB sound better.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #58,163 of 152,149
So just to clarify, you're saying that using Unison USB provided by, say, a Bifrost 2 will completely repair the degraded signal that an *unmodified* RPI's noisy circuitry -- including its dual USB bus that's shared with Ethernet -- sends downstream?

Yes, that’s my experience on a very highly resolving system.

Apr 5, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #58,165 of 152,149
Only outing since last Sunday's afternoon drive was a trip to the bank window.

I can't remember the last time I went to an actual branch. Up in Canada (nearly) all banking can be done online or with a phone app, and everyone but panhandlers accept debit or credit, which can be done with a tap of your phone.

When social isolation kicked in I got an email from my branch detailing their shutdown and how to access their services. I read it over and thought, 'huh, no change in my routine.'

FWIW most stores are asking shoppers to NOT use cash if at all possible, and I know of a butcher who recently had a heart transplant flat-out refusing to accept cash until this is over.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #58,166 of 152,149
Apr 5, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #58,168 of 152,149
What he said...

Addendum to Saturday Night:

The Schiit package arrived a few days ago, after quarantine for a couple of days, I opened it...

What we all know he did...

Addendum to Saturday Night:

The Schiit package arrived a few days ago, after quarantine for a couple of minutes, I opened it...

:smirk:

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #58,169 of 152,149

From what I have read version 4 of the Raspberry Pi separates the USB and Ethernet busses which ameliorated some of the noise issues.

However I have not yet been able to find any articles or reviews or comparisons of using v4 for audio without a HAT, so I don't know how well it solves the problem.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back