Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 6, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #58,216 of 148,604
Current practice for building on a hill involves cutting back into the hillside, sinking in caissons 30' deep or so, then building a foundation and retaining wall on which all the rest of the house can sit (usually a typical frame house on top of the crazy/heroic foundation.) Its a lot harder to do it like that, and a lot more expensive, but as far as I know, you'd never get permits for a stilt house anymore. But I don't know all the particulars. I just know some of the details, because I always wanted a house with a view.

Wow, 30 feet, that's crazy!

Apr 6, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #58,217 of 148,604
Current practice for building on a hill involves cutting back into the hillside, sinking in caissons 30' deep or so, then building a foundation and retaining wall on which all the rest of the house can sit (usually a typical frame house on top of the crazy/heroic foundation.) Its a lot harder to do it like that, and a lot more expensive, but as far as I know, you'd never get permits for a stilt house anymore. But I don't know all the particulars. I just know some of the details, because I always wanted a house with a view.

Yeah - I have an aunt that lives on the side of a hill overlooking the Rose Bowl. Their house is exactly as described - and in fact has an in-ground pool which goes up to a pretty significant dropoff. Fantastic view.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #58,218 of 148,604
So far so good on that. Some countries have a moratorium on "driving around" - necessary trips only (groceries, medications, etc.) - on the theory that car accidents can put police, first responders & the med system at unnecessary risk and you can't be in a car accident if you're not driving your car.

I'm hoping it stays that way up here. Once the snow clears off I am going to REALLY need to take my motorcycle out for a meditative head clearing.
Lots of motorcycles out yesterday, most solo or with two riders, no group rides. Weather was perfect, other than the heavy tree pollen.
Sold the Sportster 1200 when kids were young, miss it often.
Necessary trips only advised, but many were out for necessary mental health drives.

Apr 6, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #58,220 of 148,604
Oooohhh.... Look at all the VU meters!
I have worked with a few of them, more to install this weekend for another friend. I had to stop and learn how to properly brush copper. The electronics is not difficult, I need a challenge or I get bored. thumbnail_IMG_1903.jpg

Apr 6, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #58,221 of 148,604
Did you make the stupid teenager pay up?

If only. The stupid teenager is permanently banned from our house, which in a perverse sort of way is worth more to me than the cost of repair.

Apr 6, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #58,222 of 148,604
No!!! I owned a Black in the late 80's and loved it. Not as much as the original Rosewood but IIRC the Black was about $695 back then while the Rosewood and Onyx were quite a bit dearer. Koetsu has a rebuild service but from the web site you will need at least the magnets. http://www.koetsuaudio.com/rebuild. I wouldn't hazard a guess on the price. My condolences! :cry:

Never had the opportunity to hear a Rosewood. The price of the Black was a stretch at the time (think it retailed for around $1k when I bought mine) and the Rosewoods were over $2k. The body and magnets are still intact on the Black, so there is rebuild potential. I'll check on pricing, but my guess is I could get a really nice pair of 'phones for the same money. :)

Apr 6, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #58,223 of 148,604
I have worked with a few of them, more to install this weekend for another friend. I had to stop and learn how to properly brush copper. The electronics is not difficult, I need a challenge or I get bored.

nice work on the copper. shiny.

is that an xcelite screwdriver/ nutdriver behind the meters? my xcelite nutdrivers have a funky smell to the plastic handles, esp if left in a closed drawer for a while :frowning2:

Apr 6, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #58,224 of 148,604
nice work on the copper. shiny.

is that an xcelite screwdriver/ nutdriver behind the meters? my xcelite nutdrivers have a funky smell to the plastic handles, esp if left in a closed drawer for a while :frowning2:
That is an Xcelite metal reamer but mine are usually out in the open unless enclosed in cases with Lindstrom tools and the like. A company I worked for years ago was a distributor of Xcelite, Weller,Apex, Erem and Ungar so I ended up with a lot of those products. I have better quality than Xcelite but for every day use, they are fine.

That square plate with the meters was my first attempt at brushed copper but I shall do more. I have some spalted maple out of Canada that will become the cabinet for my personal amp.

Apr 6, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #58,226 of 148,604
You guys that have the latest Pi4.... Are you using the optional heatsinks on it?
I have a Pi4B with a small heatsink and a Pi2AES in the Pi 2 Design plexiglass case, running RopieeeXL. Since I updated to the latest firmware 000137ad, temperature has dropped 5-6C to 57C idle.

Apr 6, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #58,227 of 148,604
You guys that have the latest Pi4.... Are you using the optional heatsinks on it? Maybe the latest firmware makes them not necessary? I still have a few Pi3's...I've been using one with the Digi + (or Pro, can't remember) HAT on it and it's worked well via coax out. Although my next step was to buy a Pi2AES so I can do AES/EBU or BNC. Maybe a PI4 is in the future though I won't be using USB.
I have mine in an aluminium case which also acts as a heatsink. It has 3 extrusions which connect to the Pis hotpots via thermal pads. No fans as I have a thing about silent computers since I got a Nimbus from Cirrus7. I have two Pis and used them as a compute farm to re-encode my entire Flac collection to Opus format when I got a new DAP. They ran for three days at 100% CPU with no throttling at any time (there's a command line tool which tells you whether they ever had to throttle) at just under 60C.

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #58,228 of 148,604
I can't remember the last time I went to an actual branch. Up in Canada (nearly) all banking can be done online or with a phone app, and everyone but panhandlers accept debit or credit, which can be done with a tap of your phone.

When social isolation kicked in I got an email from my branch detailing their shutdown and how to access their services. I read it over and thought, 'huh, no change in my routine.'

FWIW most stores are asking shoppers to NOT use cash if at all possible, and I know of a butcher who recently had a heart transplant flat-out refusing to accept cash until this is over.
same here in China - much preferred to use a contactless sales approach..

Apr 7, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #58,230 of 148,604
if the latter is true (I really have no idea), then why aren't battery powered (I am assuming it's easy to get clean battery power?) > wall outlet

If you can provide enough current draw, batteries are better than wall warts. But batteries are heavy, have shipping issues, etc. And forget about octal tubes, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back