Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 18, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #57,677 of 149,304
Thank you Jason, good stuff. And better news that Mike is back and doing well.

In the midst of it all I'll reiterate the need for a silver disc transport. Please, and thank you! :smile_cat:

Mar 18, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #57,680 of 149,304
2020, Chapter 6:
Tales Told By A Shotgun

Plus, it’s not our bag. We don’t really know how to make stuff much more expensive, unless we’re getting into super-crazy chassis work (which doesn’t improve the sound)

I believe this is one of the main reasons most of the ultra expensive components cost as much as they do. There's a lot of very nice looking stuff out there with CNC'd pieces milled out of a single piece of unobtanium or decorated with almost garish face plates or screws and knobs. Much of it weighs a lot which reinforces the thought that they are very high quality pieces but don't really sound better than items costing (and weighing) much, much less.

I say keep doing what you're doing because it's clear you've got a lot of dedicated fans and now with the introduction of a great turntable, I can only guess those fans will grow in number.

Mar 19, 2020 at 12:37 AM Post #57,682 of 149,304
Mar 19, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #57,683 of 149,304
ORT would love those VU meters!!!

Personally I would like a Ragnarok/2 sized Aegir with similar power output to Ragnarok...
more likely a gallium nitride Schiit amp shall be in development. Just a guess, because Schiit wants to make a difference, make things affordable and accessible. Currently there are only $10k plus GaN amps and one kick starter project for about 1500€ with a strange connection solution. If Schiit is able to put it in a Vidar/Aegir size box and deliver twice the performance of Vidar it shall be a hit and perhaps canibalizing the Vidar especially if the price is under a grand.

Mar 19, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #57,685 of 149,304
Also whenever you switch amps, you'd also have to readjust the output levels of the RELs. You have a couple of options to make things a little easier for yourself: (1) choose some other amp (not Ragnarok) that isn't differential design, or (2) consider using low level input to the RELs instead of high level (you can try this right away and hear results for yourself).

Maybe it's time to step back, take a deep breath, and be honest with yourself. Isn't this scheme a bit nutty? A few months ago, how would you have reacted if you read about someone on the internet thinking about doing this? I know that you feel attached to your Rogue but surely there must be an amplifier that can adequately meet your needs, and you can just turn on whenever you want to listen.
Yes, I think I'm gradually coming round to this way of thinking but with a different result. I'll likely keep the Rogue and just upgrade my ChiFi Dac to a Bifrost 2/ Yggy/ wait for Gungnir replacement. I've just been caught up in all the excitement of the possibility of using the new Schiit amps like Ragnarok/Dual Viday/dual Aegir. Time to take a deep breath and enjoy the music.

Mar 19, 2020 at 5:44 AM Post #57,686 of 149,304
Yes, I think I'm gradually coming round to this way of thinking but with a different result. I'll likely keep the Rogue and just upgrade my ChiFi Dac to a Bifrost 2/ Yggy/ wait for Gungnir replacement. I've just been caught up in all the excitement of the possibility of using the new Schiit amps like Ragnarok/Dual Viday/dual Aegir. Time to take a deep breath and enjoy the music.

regarding the heat concern that your wife has when running the Rogue during warmer weather, have you checked with the factory to see if there are recommendations to reduce the bias current?

IMO, Gungnir replacement is likely only after Yggdrasil sees an Analog 3 upgrade, as it is their top line Multibit model. Bifrost 2 now has the same 8X megacomboburrito filter as Gungnir and Yggdrasil (but different power supply, DAC and analog stages), so the performance gap is smaller than before (Bifrost gen 1 used 4x oversampling).

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #57,687 of 149,304
  • Although we haven’t done a heroic-approach multibit DAC, the possibility for high performance is there. A quick look at the performance of the golden-age PCM63 (see Stereophile’s review of Theta’s Gen 5 processor) confirms there’s a lot more potential there. And Mike, Dave, and Ivana are always working on something crazy. So who knows? If we come up with something that we believe sounds good, and doesn’t cost like a car, we’ll see what you think of it…and we’ll be able to do it on our upgradable platforms, so you don’t have to buy a new DAC.

A better-measuring, heroic-approach Multibit solution that I can put into my already-amazing Bifrost 2 via Autonomy? That sounds like a very convoluted way of spelling "day-1 insta-buy" :)

• And, although we haven’t done any completely insane, heroic discrete designs, this is where we’ll go to smoke the performance of the best integrated stages for an all-out phono preamp. Getting near -100dB THD+N with 60dB of gain…yes, this is doable. And yes, I know, this is for an antique sound reproduction method that might seem completely stone-age when compared to the convenience of streaming 24/96 from Qobuz, but hey, a lot of people really like it…and there’s a lot of spinners out there.

Very much on the radar for whenever I get to putting together my own analog chain, hopefully sometimes next year. Exciting times ahead!

• At the same time, you’ve probably seen a lot of evolution in the way we do discrete designs over the last year or so. Much higher integration with multiple transistors in a single part, and much tighter matching thanks to die-matched parts in those same multiple packages. Thank Nexus and its need for matching, but the benefits are moving all the way across the line. And the devices continue to evolve. There are some amazing new matched N and P-channel MOSFETs that I need to take a look at. (Yes, MOSFETs…they have changed quite a bit, so it’s time to look at what we might be able to do with them.)

Really interested in what comes of this, especially if balanced and Jotunheim-sized. You can really spell "day-1 insta-buy" in a great number of ways, it seems!

Mar 19, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #57,688 of 149,304
A better-measuring, heroic-approach Multibit solution that I can put into my already-amazing Bifrost 2 via Autonomy? That sounds like a very convoluted way of spelling "day-1 insta-buy" :)

heroic-approach sounds like it will be a power and board real-estate hog, so more likely winds up as Yggdrasil Uber Analog (3), and an unfortunately big price tag (but adds remote control capability too).

Really interested in what comes of this, especially if balanced and Jotunheim-sized. You can really spell "day-1 insta-buy" in a great number of ways, it seems!

yes, Jotunheim R (Nexus) topology and case size, but with a PSU and output stage optimized for ~15 ohm (planar) balanced loads?

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #57,690 of 149,304
That's good news on the SOL. For a while there I thought it was more going to be Schiit Outta Luck than anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back