Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 18, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #57,663 of 149,327
Never had one that cheap, but did get one for $475 once. So my Jotunheim with the 4490 DAC cost more than my car (purchased in 1992).
Mine had even a radio on board however I think Jasons (because of his car audio hobby) had one as well.

Mar 18, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #57,665 of 149,327
I had a car once that cost me less than $99,00 :sunglasses:

In high school for a youth group event at church we played a game of Bigger or Better. Concept is that teams start with a penny, and go around asking people or households to trade for something that is bigger or better than the penny and continue working up. One group was late with getting back and there was a a guy in the group who was a bit of a gear head and we all joked his group would come back with a car.

Well, they had somehow worked their way up to a kitchen sink and were walking back to the church with it. They passed a house that had been visited by another group. The adults see a group of high schoolers walking through a neighborhood carrying a kitchen sink and ask if they are playing Bigger or Better. Turns out the adults were remodeling their house and could use a sink. Also turns out they had an old beat up car they bought for like $200 to do doughnuts in a field with. They traded the car for the sink.

Mar 18, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #57,668 of 149,327
Mar 18, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #57,669 of 149,327
You should do power conditioners/decrapifiers/linear power supplies/cables/insert-other-audiophile-nervosa-object here.” Again, no. We don’t do power stuff. We do a few short cables, because 6” cables are kinda hard to find. We did a USB decrapifier when USB ports kinda sucked, but that time has passed. We don’t get into nervosa stuff. Again, it’s not us. Again, there are plenty of companies that will sell you these products.

Well... Now that I've got my pretty little stack of Modi - Loki - Magni, I would, for purely aesthetic reasons, like something like the Cthulu floor wart in a matching Modi-style chassis. Nothing linearnervosa, just a nice box capable of powering 3 or 4 of the little Schiits.

It occurs to me also that a matching power switch could be put *gasp* on the front to assuage those so inclined. I don't care either way, since I don't turn mine off.

Mar 18, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #57,670 of 149,327
So did I!

I once was given a car. A waitress said if I could start the car in her back yard, I could have it. I went over with a buddy, 18" of wire, and a fully charged car battery. Oh, and a current licence plate. The expression on her face when I went back and said I'd need keys and registration was very gratifying.

That car lasted over three years and cost about $500 in repairs, over and above normal consumables.

FWIW it was a Plymouth Valiant.

Mar 18, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #57,671 of 149,327
Well... Now that I've got my pretty little stack of Modi - Loki - Magni, I would, for purely aesthetic reasons, like something like the Cthulu floor wart in a matching Modi-style chassis. Nothing linearnervosa, just a nice box capable of powering 3 or 4 of the little Schiits.

It occurs to me also that a matching power switch could be put *gasp* on the front to assuage those so inclined. I don't care either way, since I don't turn mine off.

Won't fit. Costs too much.

The Floor Wart is the best solution.

Sorry, physics wins.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 18, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #57,673 of 149,327
I had a car once that cost me less than $99,00 :sunglasses:

I was very fortunate, my first car was free to me, I just had to pay insurance and gas... It was my Granny's 1977 Monte Carlo that she was no longer able to drive. It was a LAND BARGE! I was big into car audio and it had an ever revolving list of parts, man those were the days...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back