Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 19, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #57,692 of 150,704
Much of it weighs a lot which reinforces the thought that they are very high quality

See: the lead weights in the JDS Atom chassis.

Brains are a funny thing, and that perception of mass = quality can certainly lead to a fun feedback loop

Mar 19, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #57,695 of 150,704
I think Schiit should start making Vacuum Tubes!!!
Would'nt that cause a storm in the audio world!!

schiit.jpg
schiit.jpg

Mar 19, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #57,696 of 150,704
staying away from car-priced stuff
I had a car once that cost me less than $99,00 :sunglasses:

I remeber once in a previous life when I used to tape Phish shows, that someone was walking around the taper's section interviewing tapers and asking them, "What cost more, your recording rig, or the car you drove to the show". The answer was invariably the recording rig.

Granted, we were all college students or such, so the cars weren't very nice, but it's easy to spend car prices on gear, especially when referenced to the right car.

Happy Birthday (and many more!) PCT

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #57,697 of 150,704
I remeber once in a previous life when I used to tape Phish shows, that someone was walking around the taper's section interviewing tapers and asking them, "What cost more, your recording rig, or the car you drove to the show". The answer was invariably the recording rig.

Granted, we were all college students or such, so the cars weren't very nice, but it's easy to spend car prices on gear, especially when referenced to the right car.

Happy Birthday (and many more!) PCT
Yup, there are quite a few "hobbies" where this applies, I was a photographer in a previous life... I had a couple bodies and lenses that were each worth easily 2x what my car was worth... Luckily when I decided to downsize I was able to flip the lenses for what I gave for them, or even more in a couple cases.

Mar 19, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #57,698 of 150,704
I think Schiit should start making Vacuum Tubes!!!
Would'nt that cause a storm in the audio world!!

schiit.jpgschiit.jpg

Nothing they haven't done before :) octal LISST were 6SN7!
uLV2ELV.jpg

See: the lead weights in the JDS Atom chassis.
Brains are a funny thing, and that perception of mass = quality can certainly lead to a fun feedback loop
Good point.

Mar 19, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #57,699 of 150,704
regarding the heat concern that your wife has when running the Rogue during warmer weather, have you checked with the factory to see if there are recommendations to reduce the bias current?

IMO, Gungnir replacement is likely only after Yggdrasil sees an Analog 3 upgrade, as it is their top line Multibit model. Bifrost 2 now has the same 8X megacomboburrito filter as Gungnir and Yggdrasil (but different power supply, DAC and analog stages), so the performance gap is smaller than before (Bifrost gen 1 used 4x oversampling).
I’ll read up on bias current since I know how to adjust this and when I should but not the reason for this. When I understand this I’ll speak to them so I can make sense of their response. What an amazing hobby, the gift that keeps on giving! Thanks so very much mate!

Mar 19, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #57,702 of 150,704
“You should do power conditioners/decrapifiers/linear power supplies/cables/insert-other-audiophile-nervosa-object here.”
I'm actually on board for Schiit to do a no-nonesense power strip. Why? Because I know you wouldn't use varistors so thin you could floss your teeth with them, that noise filtering and grounding would be done right, and that the contacts to the plug wouldn't be so weak a light breeze would loosen the power cord.

Ever look inside a Furman product? Now THAT'S price gouging.

asdf.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #57,703 of 150,704
As I do my taxes, I'm freaking out a bit with my satellite listening station (WinOS >>> EITR >>> MODI-MB >>> Fulla 2 >>> hand-knit headband + HD518). Something's going on to my perceived sound quality. It sounds different from an all-Fulla 2 (dac/amp) set up. Whoa... +1.

Mar 19, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #57,704 of 150,704
I'm actually on board for Schiit to do a no-nonesense power strip. Why? Because I know you wouldn't use varistors so thin you could floss your teeth with them, that noise filtering and grounding would be done right, and that the contacts to the plug wouldn't be so weak a light breeze would loosen the power cord.

Ever look inside a Furman product? Now THAT'S price gouging.

asdf.jpg
What? That just looks weird, and like there are parts missing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back