Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 19, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #57,706 of 150,758
Given the Furman is essentially a rackmount power strip, not too surprised...

ed
One that is advertised as a power conditioner and surge protector, not just a power strip. That thing was a couple hundred bucks, if memory serves.

Mar 19, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #57,708 of 150,758
Hmm. Which generation? I have a C8 and no issues so far...
C9, though a limited number of people have been experiencing this since the C6 generation. The most logical explanation I can think of is that there is enough jitter that it is causing my pre-amp to lose lock, and the fact that the drops seem to worsen when the density of musical information goes up may support this. But, you would think there would be a penalty in SQ from high jitter and overall I find that when the sound *is there* it is a bit more clear than it was sending the same signal out from my old Pioneer Kuro plasma.

I've had to resort to adding HDMI audio extractor boxes in between devices that don't have their own optical audio out to bypass this headache, but for the built-in Netflix and Amazon apps I'm stuck with the audio drop outs.

Mar 19, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #57,709 of 150,758
One that is advertised as a power conditioner and surge protector, not just a power strip. That thing was a couple hundred bucks, if memory serves.
Naah, just little over 100.

Mar 19, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #57,710 of 150,758
I'm actually on board for Schiit to do a no-nonesense power strip. Why? Because I know you wouldn't use varistors so thin you could floss your teeth with them, that noise filtering and grounding would be done right, and that the contacts to the plug wouldn't be so weak a light breeze would loosen the power cord.

Ever look inside a Furman product? Now THAT'S price gouging.

asdf.jpg
I have an Emotiva power strip. Not because of any magical properties. Just well built and fairly compact.

Mar 19, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #57,713 of 150,758
What? That just looks weird, and like there are parts missing.

That extra room is for option boards. Once you've spent $5k on those, it sounds like an excellent $200 power strip. :)

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #57,715 of 150,758
I'm actually on board for Schiit to do a no-nonesense power strip. Why? Because I know you wouldn't use varistors so thin you could floss your teeth with them, that noise filtering and grounding would be done right, and that the contacts to the plug wouldn't be so weak a light breeze would loosen the power cord.

Ever look inside a Furman product? Now THAT'S price gouging.

asdf.jpg
yes i did
which model is this? you don’t show the most important part ...

Mar 19, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #57,717 of 150,758
C9, though a limited number of people have been experiencing this since the C6 generation. The most logical explanation I can think of is that there is enough jitter that it is causing my pre-amp to lose lock, and the fact that the drops seem to worsen when the density of musical information goes up may support this. But, you would think there would be a penalty in SQ from high jitter and overall I find that when the sound *is there* it is a bit more clear than it was sending the same signal out from my old Pioneer Kuro plasma.

I've had to resort to adding HDMI audio extractor boxes in between devices that don't have their own optical audio out to bypass this headache, but for the built-in Netflix and Amazon apps I'm stuck with the audio drop outs.
is there an option to on the TV's to select 2-channel PCM, not Mutli-channel? try also disabling surround sound modes, turn bass-management off, etc.

added: from Mike's thread, the Schiit Multibit DACs all buffer the S/PDIF data from the receiver chip, then the DSP chip re-clocks it (via registers) to the DAC's (which don't accept I2S or the common audio formats) so the jitter is not as big as a factor as with some other designs, esp NOS Non-Over-Sampling DAC units that the feed the DAC chips directly from the I2S off the receiver without buffering.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #57,718 of 150,758
Anyone ever play around with new tubes for the Freya? Any suggestions? Sorry if this has already been covered.

@Randolf711 from the Head-Fi search box, try Schiit Freya Tube Rolling..

if you can describe the type of sound you are looking for from tube rolling, there are some on this thread that have experience with the various NOS (new old stock 6SN7, 6922, Russian 6H8C, 6N8P Melz etc.) tube types, as well as current production 6SN7 and may be more than willing to provide some suggestions / guidance.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back