Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 8, 2020 at 7:32 AM Post #57,377 of 149,912
exactly
production are made for what it is used afterwards. Majority is spotify, youtube, apple music, soundcloud; they all have there format demands and act accordingly when putting on their servers so we can stream it. Not ideal but better than de fm radio i recorded on my metal tape cassettes. Important note: recording those tapes was more fun!
I remember those metal-tapped mixes. Streeeeeeetch & birdnest... Ick. After a day of casual listening with those Ether C 's (with my spouse did NOT teasing me about looking like Star Wars' Princess Leia), I felt (?) the Asgard 2 was a better fit than my Valhalla. Hell, my Magni 2 seem to provide more detail (??) or omph (???) than my tube amps (Vali & Valhalla). Yep, looks like my tube-amp will be driving my other cans. Weird and wonderful. :ksc75smile:

Mar 8, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #57,378 of 149,912
I remember those metal-tapped mixes. Streeeeeeetch & birdnest... Ick. After a day of casual listening with those Ether C 's (with my spouse did NOT teasing me about looking like Star Wars' Princess Leia), I felt (?) the Asgard 2 was a better fit than my Valhalla. Hell, my Magni 2 seem to provide more detail (??) or omph (???) than my tube amps (Vali & Valhalla). Yep, looks like my tube-amp will be driving my other cans. Weird and wonderful. :ksc75smile:

glad you are enjoying the new "cans". Hoping to get the Ether opens myself, but need to work on the tax return first :frowning2:

the Valhalla, being a real tube amp, has a higher output impedance (high voltage, lower current) than the solid-state (lower voltage but higher current) Asgard and Magni headphone amplifiers. The Asgard and Magni electrically should match better with the Ether's low (~16 ohm) impedance, resulting in better bottom-end extension, and less peaking near the headphone's (mid-bass???) resonance frequency. Vali OG is all tube, but gen 2 is a hybrid (I think??) so the results with your Vali may depend on which gen it is.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #57,379 of 149,912

With my Aeon 2 Closed cans, I prefer the sound of the Lyr 3 on high gain. By my (probably inaccurate) calculations, the Lyr 3 puts out close to 2 watts into the A2C's 13 ohm impedance in low gain, so it's not that the 9+ watts in high gain is needed or even tapped much. Things just sound better to me -- more oomph as you say. Although I have no idea how the Lyr's circuit operates, @tincanear 's explanation might be the reason.

Mar 8, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #57,380 of 149,912
With my Aeon 2 Closed cans, I prefer the sound of the Lyr 3 on high gain. By my (probably inaccurate) calculations, the Lyr 3 puts out close to 2 watts into the A2C's 13 ohm impedance in low gain, so it's not that the 9+ watts in high gain is needed or even tapped much. Things just sound better to me -- more oomph as you say. Although I have no idea how the Lyr's circuit operates, @tincanear 's explanation might be the reason.
It sounds better because it has less feedback.
It measures worse, for the same reason.

Mar 8, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #57,381 of 149,912
It sounds better because it has less feedback.
It measures worse, for the same reason.

I was happy to learn that there is a real and technical explanation for the difference I hear, because that means I’m not imagining things or being fooled by the difference in volume :beyersmile:

However, it also means I listen at 8:30-9 o’clock on the volume knob and that most of the range is too loud. Somehow I seem to always listen at about 9 o’clock on Schiit amps, all the way from the Magni2U to the Lyr3 :upside_down:

Mar 8, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #57,382 of 149,912
That, actually, is the reason I've never visited Ireland. I enjoy Guiness here in the States. If I ever had the brew in the homeland I might never leave. Since my job is here, I'd have to go on the dole there.

I have made that very "mistake" a few weeks ago...I have mixed feelings about the next pint of Guinness I'll have here in the Netherlands

Had a great time in Dublin, though, and the Guinness Storehouse really is awesome

Mar 8, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #57,383 of 149,912
Well it looks like I will be contacting Schiit tomorrow. My Bifrost is constantly clicking in and out in the middle of songs.

Mar 8, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #57,384 of 149,912
Well it looks like I will be contacting Schiit tomorrow. My Bifrost is constantly clicking in and out in the middle of songs.
Then it looses contact with the source.
I had that problem once. That's why I recognize it.
Maybe check there too.

Mar 8, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #57,386 of 149,912
In the annual Stereophile list of recommended components I counted the Aegir, Ragnarok 2 and Yggdrasil. Congratulations and well done to the Schiit team! The common denominator of these products? Lower priced than others in the same category, sometimes by an order of magnitude or more.

Mar 9, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #57,387 of 149,912

Then it looses contact with the source.
I had that problem once. That's why I recognize it.
Maybe check there too.

I had a similar problem some time ago, then with my Modi multibit/Magni3 stack. Sound would sometimes jump back to the computer to come back to the headphones seconds later.
Turned out to be a wonky USB cable. Changed to a new cable and problem solved :)

Mar 9, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #57,389 of 149,912
In the annual Stereophile list of recommended components I counted the Aegir, Ragnarok 2 and Yggdrasil. Congratulations and well done to the Schiit team! The common denominator of these products? Lower priced than others in the same category, sometimes by an order of magnitude or more.

Congratulations, indeed.

I haven't subscribed to Stereophile in years. I quit being active in audio when my kids were born and simply enjoyed what I had. I've picked up an odd issue from time to time and find they typically review gear I'm not interested in: too expensive for me. One of the disadvantages of the internet is the demise of audio stores. I can't even go audition home gear to hear what the fuss is about.

Mar 9, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #57,390 of 149,912
After a day of casual listening with those Ether C 's (with my spouse did NOT teasing me about looking like Star Wars' Princess Leia)

Could be worse.
W9YU3jj.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back