Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 6, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #57,346 of 152,620
When listening at 50 - 55db I'm getting pops in my speakers at 63 - 65dB with any button press on my Saga + remote other than volume, would you considered this small?

How would you check for DC on your AC ground or if it's coming from other products?
Is the 55dB for the purpose of gauging the popping, because that is awfully quiet? It might be more meaningful to compare it at the volumes you are normally at while listening to music.

Mar 6, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #57,348 of 152,620
from some quick internet research, the LK280 is a power amp (and with balanced inputs) ??? are you located close enough to the SchiitR to see if a Freya S (Nexus-based) would work for you instead? or do you NEED to have tooobs in the signal chain? Freya S can handle both SE and balanced XLR inputs, and output to either SE (RCA) or balanced (XLR) amplifiers.

some older audio gear has trim pots to adjust the bias and dc offset, depending on the design (some products can't be adjusted to trim the DC offset and count on the devices downstream to have coupling caps + a suitable return path for input bias current if needed). is it possible to locate a service manual? otherwise just tweaking pots without service manual or schematic isn't a good idea.

Well, I don't believe it's actually balanced, the amp came with Linn cables that are XLR on 1 end and RCA on the other and these are what I've been using all along without issue. I don't know if you can do that with traditional balanced signals can you? I'm not sure, I was just told that I needed to use the cables that came with it. Here's a picture that might show it a little better

632131-linn_lk280_amp_late_production_unit_great_condition.jpg

I was able to locate service manuals, but they are mainly just schematics.

Mar 6, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #57,349 of 152,620
Is the 55dB for the purpose of gauging the popping, because that is awfully quiet? It might be more meaningful to compare it at the volumes you are normally at while listening to music.
No, that's just the level I generally listen at during the day while I'm working. I can usually take phone calls etc... without having to turn it down. It's about 25dB over ambient so it's quite easy to hear, but isn't distracting.

Mar 7, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #57,352 of 152,620
Well, I don't believe it's actually balanced, the amp came with Linn cables that are XLR on 1 end and RCA on the other and these are what I've been using all along without issue. I don't know if you can do that with traditional balanced signals can you? I'm not sure, I was just told that I needed to use the cables that came with it. Here's a picture that might show it a little better

632131-linn_lk280_amp_late_production_unit_great_condition.jpg

I was able to locate service manuals, but they are mainly just schematics.

yes, the wiring diagrams next to the 3-pin XLR connectors show that one pin is disconnected, implying that the input is SE, and consistent with the XLR to RCA cabling provided.

edited: 65mV of DC offset on a power amp output (into an 4 ohm load) is 65mV*65mV/8ohm = 1056uW (~1 mW) peak (RMS value is half of that) so it shouldn't be a concern.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #57,353 of 152,620
yes, the wiring diagrams next to the 3-pin XLR connectors show that one pin is disconnected, implying that the input is SE, and consistent with the XLR to RCA cabling provided.

65mV of DC offset on a power amp output (into an 8 ohm load) is 65mV*65mV/8ohm = 528uW (~half a mW) so it shouldn't be a concern.
Measure the DC offset at the Input terminals. The Schiit relay attenuator stack I believe is after the buffer coupling capacitor.

Mar 7, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #57,354 of 152,620
Not sure how many of you here read Stereophile, but if you do (and maybe even if you don't), Ape Schiit takes on new meaning. They (Schiit) must be doing something right.

I gather you have received your April issue? It’s not arrived here yet.

Mar 7, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #57,355 of 152,620
Clear thinking from you, as always. Schiit has done its bit for my safety by shipping me a new Hel (what a cool gadget!) very quickly, to be used for videoconferencing if I have to work more from home as I may well have to.
In my last 4-5 years of teaching, I might try retrofitting my Fulla-2 for such a system. Meh, we’ll see (severe flu seasons might become the new normal in our high schools)...

Mar 7, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #57,356 of 152,620
I’ve had a Snecklifter (iirc, it’s an ESB) whilst visiting a friend north of Newcastle - good stuff, better than the Fuller’s London ESB, in my mind. Can’t find the Peculier for order or anywhere near LA, though. If you know where I can find it, please advise.

If you like brown ales, grab a Moose Drool (Montana, of all places...). Smithwick’s tonight for me with an
irish stew that’s starting to smell divine...

Cheers!

IIRC BevMo in CA used to carry Peculiar in bottles. Moose Drool is good!

Mar 7, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #57,358 of 152,620

65mV of DC offset on a power amp output (into an 8 ohm load) is 65mV*65mV/8ohm = 528uW (~half a mW) so it shouldn't be a concern.

I'm running a 4 ohm load, so it's double that...

Mar 7, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #57,360 of 152,620
I have been looking for an upgrade candidate for my aging AKG K702's (or maybe my ears are just tired of the sound), and looking at Ether open (have Bifrost OG + Asgard 2 right now), so curious about the synergy between Ether's and Asgard 2. Fast shipping--did you order from DCA directly, or a distributor?
I ordered from DCA directly (I wasn’t impressed with my local Ontario distributors). And the shipping really was that insanely fast (their website claimed a 2-4 week order-to-assembly time). I paid about $43USD to get FedEx Priority (worth the extra $3-5 over international economy). It went across the border, duty-free (yay, NAFTA)... and then I got (fairly?) hosed for ~$310-320 CAD for HST + brokerage fee + tax on brokerage fees.
Re: Asgard 2 & Ether C open/closed pairing. It’s early daze for me. No comment yet, @tincanear ... I’m too busy caressing its carbon fibre cups, being impressed with zero clamping pressure, its fit on my melon-Bert-head, the lack of any (plastic) squeakiness from brackets, and... well... I have this impression planar magnetic drivers are inherently different from little cones. Oh and they DO isolate outside sound (and don’t bleed out to nearby spouses-who-value-peace-‘n-quiet).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back