Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 6, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #57,331 of 153,933
Hey guys, yes, you may have some small zipper noise or switch noise on Saga+ or Freya+, which will vary in your system depending on the small DC offsets present in other components or in the AC lines.

However, these noise levels should be small. If it is more than small, then check if you have DC on your AC ground, and check if there is DC coming from your other products.

Note: we could almost-maybe (maybe) eliminate this noise it by adding more coupling capacitors, and possibly affecting the transparency of the product. We chose to go most conservative in terms of coupling capacitors. Sorry if this doesn't work for you.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 6, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #57,333 of 153,933
Hey guys, yes, you may have some small zipper noise or switch noise on Saga+ or Freya+, which will vary in your system depending on the small DC offsets present in other components or in the AC lines.

However, these noise levels should be small. If it is more than small, then check if you have DC on your AC ground, and check if there is DC coming from your other products.

Note: we could almost-maybe (maybe) eliminate this noise it by adding more coupling capacitors, and possibly affecting the transparency of the product. We chose to go most conservative in terms of coupling capacitors. Sorry if this doesn't work for you.

edited: (comment/ question withdrawn)

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #57,334 of 153,933
Thanks Jason - for me it is a non issue and I agree with your trade off decision here.

Same here ... I had actually forgotten about it until it was brought up.

Mar 6, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #57,335 of 153,933

I'm happy with my Saga and had completely forgotten that it even did this, especially paired with an Aegir it's barely noticeable. I'm a vote for no trade-offs.

Mar 6, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #57,336 of 153,933

When listening at 50 - 55db I'm getting pops in my speakers at 63 - 65dB with any button press on my Saga + remote other than volume, would you considered this small?

How would you check for DC on your AC ground or if it's coming from other products?

Mar 6, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #57,337 of 153,933
When listening at 50 - 55db I'm getting pops in my speakers at 63 - 65dB with any button press on my Saga + remote other than volume, would you considered this small?

How would you check for DC on your AC ground or if it's coming from other products?

DC from the sources can be measured with a DC millivolt meter, between the RCA ground and center pin (device powered on, but not playing).

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #57,338 of 153,933
DC from the sources can be measured with a DC millivolt meter, between the RCA ground and center pin (device powered on, but not playing).

Thanks. The source to the DAC is pretty much nothing, however the amp (OLD school Linn LK280 from the late 80's early 90's) is 53 mV on the left channel and 63 mV on the right channel. So, the question is, what can I do to lower this???

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #57,339 of 153,933
Well, since you asked! If one can get it, draught Theakston's Old Peculiar is sublime at its best. The stuff in the US is OK, but not as good. There are the favs form my brother's local (on the moors around Stainland) Snecklifter is one I remember.

Despite my comments, I lived in and around Manchester for many years and worked less than a mile for the Body brewery in Strangeways at one time.

Then I went South and had to put up with Speckled Hen.

Cheers
I’ve had a Snecklifter (iirc, it’s an ESB) whilst visiting a friend north of Newcastle - good stuff, better than the Fuller’s London ESB, in my mind. Can’t find the Peculier for order or anywhere near LA, though. If you know where I can find it, please advise.

If you like brown ales, grab a Moose Drool (Montana, of all places...). Smithwick’s tonight for me with an
irish stew that’s starting to smell divine...

Cheers!

Mar 6, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #57,340 of 153,933
Beer doesn't travel that well... especially over water. Hence the invention of IPA (India Pale Ale), designed primarily to stay drinkable after months at sea (I didn't say good...).

I've never been to Ireland, but apparently what we get over here bears no resemblance to the Guinness pulled from a tap there. I even heard the same story when I lived in Scotland - the Guinness there was not as good as the Guinness that had not traveled off the Irish isles.
Guiness IS different at St. James’s Gate and in Ireland as a whole. Poured correctly here (which many haven’t the patience for here) it’s not bad - and getting better as the Baltimore brewery is now operating. But ocean travel is helpful to no beer, sadly.

Mar 6, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #57,341 of 153,933
I'll do you one better and provide the link, since I just purchase a Saga + and have the tab open :wink:

https://audio-head.com/double-blind-a-b-schiit-shootout-tubes/
There is a gentleman @bcowen who received eight tubes from me that were sealed in PVC pipe and he as able to name most of the tubes from that batch by listening. I am conducting other double blind listening with 52 6sn7 equivalents in four identical amps I designed and I have a feeling specific tubes will come out on top. Perhaps those tubes will be among those bringing top dollar but maybe not. Such is audio.

Some folks might say all tubes sound alike but then I know people who are happy with MP3's being played on a smart phones speakers. It takes a lot of listening to a lot of tubes in various devices for some to start to hear differences. Some are naturals and can blindly listen and pick out little nuances.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #57,342 of 153,933
Sweet Jesus. :astonished::astonished: I ordered my Ether C Flow at 2 p.m. EST. It was assembled March 5 & its certificate was dated yesterday (*** yesterday). And it's here in my hot little hands today. The hype's real. These are well-made cans. I'm feeding them with my obsolete (pshhhh) Asgard 2. Turned the gain to 'low'. And (slowly) turned up Doug & The Slugs, Day By Day. First, day 0.9 impression, with an AAC-codex music file from iTunes. Zero hiss... dynamic (?!)... I'm freaking out. Yep, sometimes the hype's real and one CAN get one what pays for. (Asgard 2 + Bifrost MB + Ether C Flow + stock, velvety smooth stock cable). :ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #57,343 of 153,933
Thanks. The source to the DAC is pretty much nothing, however the amp (OLD school Linn LK280 from the late 80's early 90's) is 53 mV on the left channel and 63 mV on the right channel. So, the question is, what can I do to lower this???

from some quick internet research, the LK280 is a power amp (and with balanced inputs) ??? are you located close enough to the SchiitR to see if a Freya S (Nexus-based) would work for you instead? or do you NEED to have tooobs in the signal chain? Freya S can handle both SE and balanced XLR inputs, and output to either SE (RCA) or balanced (XLR) amplifiers.

some older audio gear has trim pots to adjust the bias and dc offset, depending on the design (some products can't be adjusted to trim the DC offset and count on the devices downstream to have coupling caps + a suitable return path for input bias current if needed). is it possible to locate a service manual? otherwise just tweaking pots without service manual or schematic isn't a good idea.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #57,344 of 153,933
Sweet Jesus. :astonished::astonished: I ordered my Ether C Flow at 2 p.m. EST. It was assembled March 5 & its certificate was dated yesterday (*** yesterday). And it's here in my hot little hands today. The hype's real. These are well-made cans. I'm feeding them with my obsolete (pshhhh) Asgard 2. Turned the gain to 'low'. And (slowly) turned up Doug & The Slugs, Day By Day. First, day 0.9 impression, with an AAC-codex music file from iTunes. Zero hiss... dynamic (?!)... I'm freaking out. Yep, sometimes the hype's real and one CAN get one what pays for. (Asgard 2 + Bifrost MB + Ether C Flow + stock, velvety smooth stock cable). :ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

I have been looking for an upgrade candidate for my aging AKG K702's (or maybe my ears are just tired of the sound), and looking at Ether open (have Bifrost OG + Asgard 2 right now), so curious about the synergy between Ether's and Asgard 2. Fast shipping--did you order from DCA directly, or a distributor?

Mar 6, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #57,345 of 153,933
Beer doesn't travel that well... especially over water. Hence the invention of IPA (India Pale Ale), designed primarily to stay drinkable after months at sea (I didn't say good...).

I've never been to Ireland, but apparently what we get over here bears no resemblance to the Guinness pulled from a tap there. I even heard the same story when I lived in Scotland - the Guinness there was not as good as the Guinness that had not traveled off the Irish isles.

That, actually, is the reason I've never visited Ireland. I enjoy Guiness here in the States. If I ever had the brew in the homeland I might never leave. Since my job is here, I'd have to go on the dole there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back