Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 7, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #54,421 of 151,511
If you keep increasing the complexity level, it's going to be harder and harder for me to copy it. But I'm guessing you already knew that. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
IMG_1539.jpg Is this complex enough or do I need to add five or six more shelves? I would have been done earlier but Finnegan got outside and catching him was like, um, herding cats.:)

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #54,422 of 151,511
I'll throw out my nomination of 'RipperMeter 5000' for consideration on the smaller, but yet equally as capable unit's name. :smirk:

Here ya go, @Paladin79 . Glad to help!!

While the RipperMeter 5000 has a nice ring to it, are you sure it will appeal to a large enough audience?:ksc75smile:

Dec 7, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #54,423 of 151,511
I firmly believe that while one cannot please everyone, there's nothing wrong with setting ones sights on a more realistic goal of pleasing me. :smirk:

Dec 7, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #54,424 of 151,511
Bifrost 4490 or Multibit, if I may ask? initial impressions vs Modi (after a few hours warm-up of both units)?
I'll get back to the thread about it. Both DACs have the multbit chipset, so it ALL sounds "good".
You know the drill: Pics or it didn’t happen. Also dying to see the classic stack in black :D
Oh, it's nice. Like having black cats, my iCamera's auto-focus struggled to lock onto the surface. The false vents in the Bifrost is weird; however, the DAC seems to run cooler than my ModiMB (weird).
I'll post a picture after I scrub the personal meta-data off the image (the bloody image-info has coordinates of my home and my name)... unnerving. :triportsad::triportsad:
Magnum Dynalab was the best performing tuner I ever owned (and still made in couple of varieties) Marantz 10B was the most fun.
I'll keep an eye out for it! Interesting...
I actually came in here to ask about this lol. Is there any reason to ever turn my Jotunheim off? Or should I just leave it on all the time? Thanks
My hunch: if one can afford the kW-h cost, leave the gear on. I turn my tube amp off to (supposedly) prolong my tube life {{{a family friend visited us last night and took issue with that strategy. He tried to convince me that turning the tubes on-and-off shorten tube life... that HIS recording gear and DAW doesn't have an on/off switch. I think what's really happening is somewhere between these 2 mindsets}}}. I look at my new classic stack. According to the motherboard pictures, the Asgard 2 seems to have 4 points just behind the headphone jack that dissipate heat into the chassis. That part of the case is significantly warmer than the rest of the amp. The cooling fins on top of the transform makes the (attractive) silver logo warm to the touch.
Last FM I owned was a MicroMega, with SP/DIF output. Nice, but now bested in every way by cheap SDR (Software Defined Radio) dongles and free software (currently, AirSpy HF+.)
I know you're right, @G0rt . In the city, my selection of FM is... meh...

I am doing some preliminary setup on a device I just built to honor ORT and his love of VU meters. I have not figured out the labeling I want to use yet but it shall be the ORT Gandalf. This is one of a kind, except for a smaller version I will build for my mini rack. They are NOT something I would sell or build for anyone else.
When completed I will be able to check various levels though out this system and it will be switchable between four stereo inputs and there will be at least four outputs so that I do not give up any outputs on existing gear.
Unless Schiit offers some kind of analogue device that has VU meters, I might end up DIY-ing my own contraption ( @Jason Stoddard ... is there any market-appetite for a Loki-2.0-VU-meter creation?).
Don't disregard the neutron and prompt gamma products of the nuclear event.
Wellllll, crap. I remember seeing a wall poster on a documentary about Bruce Power (a nuclear power facility on the southern edge of Lake Huron). Our future home's juuuuust north of the predicted fallout zone. Thank you, Mister-sam6550a-suzy-sunshine. Sheesh. :ksc75smile:
AM/FM tuner = dedicated commercial delivery device. No thanks. :)
That's true and it makes me sad. There's a WKRP-like radio station out of Wingham, Ontario (link) that my cougar-woman and I (ScubaMan, or cougarbearcat?) listen to when on the North Bruce Peninsula (Venus Flytrap & Les Nessman LIVE). There was also a CBC podcast by Terry O'Reilly, about the death of radio (and rebirth of boutique[?!] radio) (link).

Dec 7, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #54,425 of 151,511
I firmly believe that while one cannot please everyone, there's nothing wrong with setting ones sights on a more realistic goal of pleasing me. :smirk:

The realization of world peace, a cure for cancer, and the global eradication of hunger would be easier. :grinning:

Dec 7, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #54,426 of 151,511
That's right. Be a lamer, throw your hands up, avoid the seemingly difficult stuff and only take on the easy stuff. You won't go far in life with that attitude, @bcowen !

Dec 7, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #54,427 of 151,511
That's right. Be a lamer, throw your hands up, avoid the seemingly difficult stuff and only take on the easy stuff. You won't go far in life with that attitude, @bcowen !
One of my favorite quotes “the hard thing, about hard things, is they are hard” ~ Ben Horowitz

Dec 7, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #54,429 of 151,511

My goal has always been to excel at mediocrity. Am I succeeding? :stuck_out_tongue:

Dec 7, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #54,431 of 151,511
Dec 7, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #54,433 of 151,511
Really it's a 'feature' not a fault…
hahahahaha JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back