Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 28, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #54,003 of 150,418
Hmm. Not quite following what you're saying here. The Aegir uses a single-ended pair of inputs for stereo, and one balanced input for monoblock mode. Both the Freya S and Freya+ have both single-ended and balanced outputs (the back panel has the same inputs and outputs). To get your Freya S to your one Aegir you are using single-ended outputs, which Freya+ also has. So why does this require one to use two Aegirs with Freya+?

Hmm, let's see if I can clarify this. Technical stuff is not my forte, but here goes.

Prior to the Nexus topology (and predecessor Pivot Point in Jotenheim) the way Schiit moved from balanced input to SE ouput was via summing the signals. But there is a loss of sound quality in doing so. It has been called negligible but in my own experience using Mjolnir 2 it is real: using Senn 650 headphones the balanced output from MJ2 was distinctly better than using the summing to SE out, with either the MJ2 or my headDesk hp-amp (different cables of course).

Nexus changes that, it gives one the same sound quality whether the output is balanced or SE. (To me that is an incredible technical advance!) Having experienced the loss, I wanted to avoid it. Freya S has the Nexus topology but Freya + does not, it gets the SE output by summing. ed: Oops, No, See *. Wanting to avoid that loss is why I went with Freya S. (Also while I like tubes on the input side I am not as enamored with them on the output side.)

Note e.g. that BCowen uses Freya + with two Aegirs. Perhaps he needs the extra headroom, or perhaps he has learned that Freya + sounds better balanced out than SE out. (ed: Oops, I misunderstood his post... I took him too seriously.)

Now does Freya + SE out (even with the summing) sound better than Freya S SE out? That I don't know. But I do know (I think, I haven't actually made the cf myself) that to get the full benefit of Freya + one would need two Aegirs.
Hopefully that helps.

*ed: There is an error here. The conversion from balanced to SE with Freya + (and likely the original Freya) does not use summing and apparently has no sacrifice in sonic quality, only in less power. I am not a technical person in audio and missed that change in topology. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Noah

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #54,004 of 150,418
They also use plenty of instructional signs like, "This end goes here. If it doesn't work, try the other end.":smiling_imp:

Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends
I think it might also be stenciled (in official matt-black), G.N.D.N. Meh, my discipline is rife with blatantly obvious strategies and instructions. :deadhorse:

Nov 28, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #54,005 of 150,418
Shoes. It's always shoes.
For my spouse, it's tattoos. Custom work. Oh, and fiction! Cue Moxy Fruvus!!! {{{and ignore the fate of their creepy frontman :triportsad::triportsad::triportsad:}}}}}}}

BTW - I like to think their album Bargainville was a *detailed, audiophile-quality, Hi-Fidelity product*. I enjoy it on headphones, being fed by my Vali 2, eh.:flag_ca::flag_ca::flag_ca:

Nov 28, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #54,006 of 150,418
Note e.g. that BCowen uses Freya + with two Aegirs. Perhaps he needs the extra headroom, or perhaps he has learned that Freya + sounds better balanced out than SE out.

Noah

Actually I don't have a Freya+ or Aegir(s). My lame joke intended to mean that the Freya+ (with tubes) and dual Aegirs (w/80 wpc) would be the way *I'd* go mostly because I'm a tube addict and mo' power is (usually) mo' better. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Nov 28, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #54,007 of 150,418
Nexus changes that, it gives one the same sound quality whether the output is balanced or SE. (To me that is an incredible technical advance!) Having experienced the loss, I wanted to avoid it. Freya S has the Nexus topology but Freya + does not, it gets the SE output by summing. Wanting to avoid that loss is why I went with Freya S. (Also while I like tubes on the input side I am not as enamored with them on the output side.)

I get what you're saying now. Hopefully Jason can chime in here on how "bad" the single ended outputs on the Freya+ are. FWIW, I'm thrilled with the Freya+, am able to use the balanced outputs, and shortly will be lucky enough to use them to feed monoblocks (albeit not Aegir).

ed

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #54,008 of 150,418
Yes, but that's the same for Freya-S and Freya+, and someone made the argument that you couldn't do that with Freya+, only with Freya-S ...

Ah. I missed the point there. Sorry. :triportsad:

Nov 28, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #54,010 of 150,418
Order placed. Even though it’s CAD$130 shipped, that’s still a good deal...

Thanks.

Sure...I have one in one of my listening stations...think you'll enjoy it! Kudos to @MrPretty for catching and posting it in the Deals thread! :)

Nov 29, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #54,011 of 150,418
Hopefully Jason can chime in here on how "good" the single ended outputs on the Freya+ are.

Have to call you out on this ..... Taken out of context, your original statement could be seen by someone who then assumes there is indeed a problem. Corrected above :)

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 4:41 AM Post #54,012 of 150,418
Yes, but that's the same for Freya-S and Freya+, and someone made the argument that you couldn't do that with Freya+, only with Freya-S ...
functional it is the same technically it is not the same (Nexus vs differential JFET buffers)

Nov 29, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #54,013 of 150,418
Order placed. Even though it’s CAD$130 shipped, that’s still a good deal...

Thanks.

For an extra CAD$27.93, you could have bought one that was already broken in...no cooking required. :slight_smile:

Yes, I'm joking...and poking at Amazon for selling a unit refurbed not by Schiit but by them (I hear dice rolling) for $21 more than a new one.

upload_2019-11-29_8-33-14.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back