Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 27, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #53,986 of 151,239
E05715E6-0F7B-4448-B835-49C750BDE407.jpeg
I succumbed to the intense pressure from this community to install my new Schiit. I am very happy to report a no tears or smoke install. Behold the crappy photo...

Listening at low volume with a big smile and cold beer.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #53,987 of 151,239
JEALOUS!!! :D

Nov 27, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #53,988 of 151,239
You would have to say something before I had a chance to stash up. Just don't tell @Ripper2860 or the world's remaining supplies will be gone tomorrow. :slight_smile:

I think 'clean' is a great descriptor, and I agree on the bass -- nice extension, weight, and up in the top echelon in definition. Also throws up an expansive soundstage, perhaps losing a bit of the pinpoint imaging I get out of the Frankie, but an overall 'bigger' sound. I've had too many system changes here of late and haven't given it enough listening to really nail it down with any confidence, but I like what I've heard so far. The Melz 1578 and '50's Fotons have a bit more schwing factor, but again that's preliminary and probably related to the crappy music I like. :relaxed: I've only listened to the French-made Philips so far. I have a couple Valvos that have identical internal construction, and then a Tungsram that is different inside. I'll have to get that in the Lyr and give it a whirl next.

It is always good to find a reasonably priced tube that sounds this good. I will try it in a Vali 2 over the weekend then in a few other tube amps. I have a lock on a really good Russian source so I will grab you more if Ripper starts buying them up.:ksc75smile: I will trust you to pin down any nuances.

In the meantime I will get one more adapter so I can try them in a Freya +

Nov 27, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #53,989 of 151,239
Just to set the record straight -- every tube I own is located in this Sterilite plastic 2 drawer enclosure and while the top drawer is full of 6SN7/7N7s, the bottom drawer has all my 9-pin tubes and is approx. only 1/2 full with a couple of small DACs and misc cables and adapters in there, as well. I think this is a mere fraction of Billy-Boy's 'Tube Hoard'!! :unamused:

tube stash.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #53,990 of 151,239

I succumbed to the intense pressure from this community to install my new Schiit. I am very happy to report a no tears or smoke install. Behold the crappy photo...

Listening at low volume with a big smile and cold beer.

Sweet! Since it's been a couple hours since you posted, everything should be warmed up now which means it's time for a shot of tequila and a hard crank on that volume knob. :slight_smile:

Nov 27, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #53,991 of 151,239
Just to set the record straight -- every tube I own is located in this Sterilite plastic 2 drawer enclosure and while the top drawer is full of 6SN7/7N7s, the bottom drawer has all my 9-pin tubes and is approx. only 1/2 full with a couple of small DACs and misc cables and adapters in there, as well. I think this is a mere fraction of Billy-Boy's 'Tube Hoard'!! :unamused:

You're obviously undertubed. But stay away from the ECC40's until I decide if I want them all. :slight_smile:

Nov 27, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #53,992 of 151,239
I like to think that I tube 'responsibly'. :D

Nov 28, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #53,993 of 151,239
@Jason Stoddard -- On the Schiit site Modi page under Modi Multibit description it says...

"Modi Multibit: The Most Affordable True Multibit™ DAC
Modi Multibit is the most affordable multibit DAC with a modern architecture—from any manufacturer, from any country in the world. Featuring Schiit’s unique digital filter, and using the same Analog Devices AD5547 multibit DAC as Bifrost"

Should the reference to the same DAC chipset as Bifrost be removed in light of the changes to Bifrost 2, or replaced with same as Bifrost Gen 1?

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #53,994 of 151,239
Took me a while to test and think through my Schiit decisions

Good news is that the USB hub I am using indeed solved the bizarre problem I was having previously, or at least the problem has not occurred for weeks. This pretty much means I won't need to get the Wyrd.

As for the Eitr, I figured that even if I get that, I would still be bound to USB at the end of the day. It seems more prudent for me to use a (much cheaper) TOSLINK to Coaxial converter for that but I can see the Eitr being important if I am using PCs/laptops that do not have TOSLINK. But still it feels that going for Biifrost 2 is the better option even though it will take a while

As for audio interfaces (Jil and Hel), this is where things can get interesting as the Yamaha AG03 or AG06 or even a Creative Soundblaster Z seem more for my usage. They are quite old and large (and a bit of a hassle to use for the soundcard's case) though, so I am sitting on the fence for this and tiding over with onboard audio line in for now unless I see some crazy deal or something

Hope I am making sense here

Happy Thanksgiving guys!

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #53,996 of 151,239
Yes one can sum it down to SE, but something is lost in that transition. One can take it to Freya + and deal with 4 tubes--heaven for BCowen but not for me. And out of Freya + one needs two Aegirs, so the price difference is not $300 but $1100. In contrast I take that balanced signal into Freya S and out to my one Aegir. And the sound ??

Hmm. Not quite following what you're saying here. The Aegir uses a single-ended pair of inputs for stereo, and one balanced input for monoblock mode. Both the Freya S and Freya+ have both single-ended and balanced outputs (the back panel has the same inputs and outputs). To get your Freya S to your one Aegir you are using single-ended outputs, which Freya+ also has. So why does this require one to use two Aegirs with Freya+?

Freya S:
freya%20s%20back%201920.jpg

Freya+:
freya%20plus%20back%201920.jpg

ed

Nov 28, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #53,998 of 151,239
Hmm. Not quite following what you're saying here. The Aegir uses a single-ended pair of inputs for stereo, and one balanced input for monoblock mode. Both the Freya S and Freya+ have both single-ended and balanced outputs (the back panel has the same inputs and outputs). To get your Freya S to your one Aegir you are using single-ended outputs, which Freya+ also has. So why does this require one to use two Aegirs with Freya+?

Freya S:
freya%20s%20back%201920.jpg

Freya+:
freya%20plus%20back%201920.jpg

ed

I didn't quite understand @NoahFence 's statement either. It appears that either Freya can run one Aegir with an SE connection, and that either Freya would require 2 Aegirs to run with balanced connections. Unless I'm missing something (which happens frequently).

But since my name was mentioned, I will say that a Freya+ and 2 Aegirs is definitely the way to go. :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

upload_2019-11-28_10-17-55.png

Nov 28, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #53,999 of 151,239
Vidar & Aegir only have one balanced input each so yes, a person would need 2 Aegirs or 2 Vidars if using the balanced output from Freya.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #54,000 of 151,239
Hmm. Up here In Canada we still have The Source (formerly Radio Shack), London Drugs, Best Buy and new kid Memory Express. They all sell stereo equipment. Admittedly, selection is down from a decade ago....

In Alberta we've also got a number of hi-end stores repping Macintosh, Focal, Paradigm, etc. etc. etc. It's not hard to audition everything from $50 Bluetooth speakers to $5000 amps to $50000 speakers.

And most stores will price match Amazon for other things - I've been shopping for Command Strips, and B&M stores often have better prices on that sort of commodity item than Amazon.

Yep, I'm in Edmonton. No shortage of B&M stores here...for now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back