Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 8, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #50,491 of 152,837
Other than CD drives meant for use with computers, are there any transports offering USB out? Also, I'm guessing that when Unison becomes available for Yggdrasil that there will be only 1 USB input. So I suppose one would have to choose between using Unison for either a streamer or CD duties but not both.
Just thinking out loud.
Or get two Yggdrasils.

Sep 8, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #50,492 of 152,837
Yes I can probably manage Diemen to Delft some time in a weekend... :D Thanks for the offer and let's see when is a good moment. (No hurry from my side).
I did visit him and came out heavily caffianated, converted to Schiit and a little depressed by the lack of sound quality at home.

Sep 8, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #50,493 of 152,837
Well maybe I would help @bcowen with an 8 track cable for his current vehicle but that is where I draw the line. I have standards I follow, when I feel like it. :ksc75smile:

You *are* the man. Can I get it in purple? :relaxed:

Sep 8, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #50,494 of 152,837
I had suggested that album, the list of performers who contributed is amazing. My favorite song in the group is Tecumseh Valley, written by Townes Van Zandt.

Townes was not on the album, just his song. Another Texas songwriter who performed with Nanci was Guy Clark.

I once gave a Randall knife as a gift, well what the person actually got was a card saying the knife was being made, two years later he received it. They had a bit of a waiting list at the time-maybe they still do.

I am also a long time fan of John Prine, his lyrics are amazing.

Some of the equipment we share are the Gungnir MB and the HD 650's, I use a Freya plus onto a Cary amp into some very efficient speakers or various headphone amps. I am glad you are feeling better. The book the album name is based on is interesting as well.

Thank you, thoroughly enjoyed it. The list of contributors is what caught my attention.

My cousin is a knife guy, I will ask if he has a Randall so I may check it out.

My brother in law is a long time Prine fan and therefore me too.

Gungnir MB is a wonderful piece of kit, it commands all my listening desk amps. Five Schiit and three vintage Pioneer. For speakers I run a Spec 4 from the matching Spec 1 pre or can switch in the Mjolnir 2 as it's pre. The Pioneer U24 Program Selector is part of the Series 20 stuff, late 1970s, totally passive with lots of inputs and outputs. It provides great flexibility. In addition to the CD transport the Gungnir MB is connected to a Mac via USB so Unison is in my future. 2muchstuff :)

Thanks again

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #50,495 of 152,837
Or get two Yggdrasils.

Maybe Schiit's transport will have a fancy I2S out and Yggy will have a corresponding I2S in as well as Unison.

Sep 8, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #50,496 of 152,837
Maybe Schiit's transport will have a fancy I2S out and Yggy will have a corresponding I2S in as well as Unison.
god i hope not. i2s is not a standard useful for anything other than proprietary device connections inside a case. Maybe @Baldr will provide his concept proprietary BWD interconnect, but really I'd prefer a USB preamp so I'm not locked into a closed system.

Sep 8, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #50,497 of 152,837
You *are* the man. Can I get it in purple? :relaxed:
Of course you can, I would make it match your vehicle color. Nothing but the best for you Bill.

gremlin(112).ashx

Sep 8, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #50,498 of 152,837
Thank you, thoroughly enjoyed it. The list of contributors is what caught my attention.

My cousin is a knife guy, I will ask if he has a Randall so I may check it out.

My brother in law is a long time Prine fan and therefore me too.

Gungnir MB is a wonderful piece of kit, it commands all my listening desk amps. Five Schiit and three vintage Pioneer. For speakers I run a Spec 4 from the matching Spec 1 pre or can switch in the Mjolnir 2 as it's pre. The Pioneer U24 Program Selector is part of the Series 20 stuff, late 1970s, totally passive with lots of inputs and outputs. It provides great flexibility. In addition to the CD transport the Gungnir MB is connected to a Mac via USB so Unison is in my future. 2muchstuff :)

Thanks again

Can you give me your likes on the Mjolnir 2? I have owned or heard most all other Schiit tube products.

Sep 8, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #50,500 of 152,837
Yes I can probably manage Diemen to Delft some time in a weekend... :D Thanks for the offer and let's see when is a good moment. (No hurry from my side).
You dig for some dates and I'll choose the one that fits me too.
Somewhere in november perhaps.
Take a look at my personal page if there's something your interested at.

Sep 8, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #50,501 of 152,837
I guess I'll have to keep the (many) cassettes that I have in their crates for the time being ... altho' I was thinking of transferring them to digital ... obviously Schiit JILL, but what CASSETTE transport might be used these days ?

I can’t help there... I recorded a lot of my cassettes using dbx. So I never got rid of my cassette player. dbx was always a niche option, and I knew that there were not many people making players, so I figured I better never get rid of them. At one point I even had a Walkman-like player with dbx!

Interestingly, from the small amount of research I did, dbx never jumped the digital divide. Apparently there was something about it that resisted reverse engineering, so you don’t seem to be able to decode it properly without an actual physical player.

I wish I could get my Teac tape deck serviced though, I made most of my recordings on it, and apparently dbx worked best when it was played back on the original recording device. My Technics player has dbx, but my audio nervosa always kicks in over the thought.

It seems a bit strange to me that should be the case though, dbx was originally developed as a commercial studio product, and you would not necessarily expect the reel to reel deck you recorded on would be what played it back, studios being what they were.

During my move I managed to sell about 200 cassettes for $80, but they were all commercially produced. I kept all the ones I personally recorded (I did a lot of live gig recording), and all the mix tapes.

On my list of the many things left to do before I pass on is to convert those live tapes to digital, so a Jil is in my future. I just wish Schiit made one with the same Multibit tech equivalent to the GAIN system Mike designed for Mobile Fidelity. A Jil+. As far as I know, nobody makes a true multibit analogue to digital converter. The thought of multibit in multibit out makes me smile.

Sep 8, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #50,502 of 152,837
My wife is into niche perfumes and designer handbags. She spends as much or more on her passions as I do on mine. But she is also an astute music lover who can hear things I can no longer hear, and I trust her opinion on what does and does not sound good sometimes more than I trust my own.
My spouse burns cash on tattoos. I've lived with a tattooed-lady for 25 years (30 together). No cheap scratch... custom work only. As the artistic one in the family, she's amused at my audio fancies & burgeoning obsession over headphones.
Other than CD drives meant for use with computers, are there any transports offering USB out? Also, I'm guessing that when Unison becomes available for Yggdrasil that there will be only 1 USB input. So I suppose one would have to choose between using Unison for either a streamer or CD duties but not both.
Just thinking out loud.
I've seen a great deal of hand-waving on these threads (I've taken part in it) about what a Schiit transport would look like, its output ports, and how THE GADGET might be incorporated into it. My hunch is the transport will NOT be a dumb (meaning no operating system) DVD/CD/SCAD/Blue-ray player. I wonder if Schiit had talks with a Raspberry-Pi manufacturer (and hand them flash some kind of Schiit's proprietary code onto the chip-set). It'd have an interface (on the transport) that does ONLY predetermined functions.
These are all rhetorical questions. My Chromebook (as a source) is enough for me. Still...

$1.35 at Best Buy
It's a joke (I get it). It actually made me think about some of the posts over at Archimago's Musings (a user on this thread pointed me to this fascinating blog).
Or get two Yggdrasils.
+1 :ksc75smile:

Sep 8, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #50,503 of 152,837
Lady audiophiles? Again? Guys, let's just accept that men and women are different. No, really. They have different priorities, likes, needs, etc. This is not bad (it can be glorious.) But it's unrealistic to expect the girls to enjoy everything the guys enjoy. Leave the ladies to their own devices, and worry about things you can change.

As long as one don’t use this as justification to passively or even actively exclude women from the hobby. I can accept men being more nerdy about this stuff, but I won’t agree with the idea that this is a men’s-only club.

Sep 8, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #50,505 of 152,837
Can you give me your likes on the Mjolnir 2? I have owned or heard most all other Schiit tube products.

First my disclaimer:
I am like Tommy Lee Jones in Men in Black, old and busted.
Tinnitus and not much above 12k. I am amazed how well I hear differences with what is left :)
I also do not have the proper word to perceptions skills to describe things well.

In the desk listening station I now run three tube amps - Mjolnir 2, Valhalla 2 and Lyr 1.
My thinking is that I can obtain three different sound signatures for use with different headphones. I am a believer in system synergy and paring amps to phones is a big piece of that.
With tube amps the amp may be tweaked by tube selection to contribute to the synergy. IMHO.

Previously I had a Lyr 2 in the mix instead of the Lyr 1. With the Mjolnir 2 the Lyr 2 seemed redundant and out classed so it did not contribute to the mix. Plus the Mjolnir 2 added the balanced out.
Do not take this to be a diss on the Lyr 2, it is a wonderful amp and I use it with a Bifrost MB elsewhere, just against the Mjolnir 2 in the same system it was not needed.
I brought the Lyr 1 into the system and adapted it to 6SN7 tubes which gives me a very different sound signature.
Now I have three tweak able distinct SQs. Balanced tube/solid state, tube/solid state with 6SN7 and OTL.

The Mjolnir 2, for the summer, have had in place ECC88 Mullard - Blackburn - White Logo - June 1961 tubes. Mainly connected balanced to (newer to me) Hi-Fi Man HE 560 phones.
So far that is the only combination I have run with the HE 560. Plan to roll in other tubes soon. Previously I was running the Sennheiser HD 650 balanced with 396A Western Electric - NOS - 1976 or 6N3P-E OTK Reflektor - NOS - 1977. The Mjolnir 2 works well for tube rolling.

What I hear — clear detailed balanced sound with no background, unless a tube adds it, some do some do not. It with any of my headphones is clearly the best of the best I have.
I also have Vali 2 both with and without adapted 6SN7 tubes and at least two versions of Magni, a scary but interesting DarkVoice and lots of vintage amps.

I just prefer some headphones with other amps. For example Grado SR325e really shine out of the Asgard 2, again IMHO. So for now the HE 560 is attached to the Mjolnir 2, the HD 650 to the Jotunheim, the SR 325e to the Asgard 2, and Beyerdynamic T1 and or DT 1770 to the Lyr 1 (6SN7) or the Valhalla 2 (6N1P-V (6Н1ПВ) OTK NOVOSIBIRSK - NOS - 1958 - Gold Grid & 6N6P Novosibirsk - Gold Grid & Pin - NOS 1978). When I say attached do not take that as glued to, I do switch things up often. I hear differently quite often and my preferences change.

Way to many words to not answer your question, sorry about that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back