Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 8, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #50,506 of 155,092
First my disclaimer:
I am like Tommy Lee Jones in Men in Black, old and busted.
Tinnitus and not much above 12k. I am amazed how well I hear differences with what is left :)
I also do not have the proper word to perceptions skills to describe things well.

In the desk listening station I now run three tube amps - Mjolnir 2, Valhalla 2 and Lyr 1.
My thinking is that I can obtain three different sound signatures for use with different headphones. I am a believer in system synergy and paring amps to phones is a big piece of that.
With tube amps the amp may be tweaked by tube selection to contribute to the synergy. IMHO.

Previously I had a Lyr 2 in the mix instead of the Lyr 1. With the Mjolnir 2 the Lyr 2 seemed redundant and out classed so it did not contribute to the mix. Plus the Mjolnir 2 added the balanced out.
Do not take this to be a diss on the Lyr 2, it is a wonderful amp and I use it with a Bifrost MB elsewhere, just against the Mjolnir 2 in the same system it was not needed.
I brought the Lyr 1 into the system and adapted it to 6SN7 tubes which gives me a very different sound signature.
Now I have three tweak able distinct SQs. Balanced tube/solid state, tube/solid state with 6SN7 and OTL.

The Mjolnir 2, for the summer, have had in place ECC88 Mullard - Blackburn - White Logo - June 1961 tubes. Mainly connected balanced to (newer to me) Hi-Fi Man HE 560 phones.
So far that is the only combination I have run with the HE 560. Plan to roll in other tubes soon. Previously I was running the Sennheiser HD 650 balanced with 396A Western Electric - NOS - 1976 or 6N3P-E OTK Reflektor - NOS - 1977. The Mjolnir 2 works well for tube rolling.

What I hear — clear detailed balanced sound with no background, unless a tube adds it, some do some do not. It with any of my headphones is clearly the best of the best I have.
I also have Vali 2 both with and without adapted 6SN7 tubes and at least two versions of Magni, a scary but interesting DarkVoice and lots of vintage amps.

I just prefer some headphones with other amps. For example Grado SR325e really shine out of the Asgard 2, again IMHO. So for now the HE 560 is attached to the Mjolnir 2, the HD 650 to the Jotunheim, the SR 325e to the Asgard 2, and Beyerdynamic T1 and or DT 1770 to the Lyr 1 (6SN7) or the Valhalla 2 (6N1P-V (6Н1ПВ) OTK NOVOSIBIRSK - NOS - 1958 - Gold Grid & 6N6P Novosibirsk - Gold Grid & Pin - NOS 1978). When I say attached do not take that as glued to, I do switch things up often. I hear differently quite often and my preferences change.

Way to many words to not answer your question, sorry about that.

Your answer helps more than you might know and I am glad you listed some of the tubes involved. I had a Lyr 2 and Valhalla 2 and preferred the Lyr for tube rolling. I do the same with a Vali 2, I prefer 6sn7's to some of the 6922's and the like so I am debating Lyr 3 and Mjolnir.

I appreciate your candidness and honesty, and you list some very good tubes in your descriptions. I have several solid state speaker and headphone amps but I prefer tubes precisely for that tweaking and synergy you mentioned.

Sep 8, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #50,507 of 155,092
Of course you can, I would make it match your vehicle color. Nothing but the best for you Bill.

gremlin(112).ashx
That is surprisingly awesome!! It's like that b-movie that everyone loves lol soo bad it's good!

Sep 8, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #50,508 of 155,092
I once gave a Randall knife as a gift, well what the person actually got was a card saying the knife was being made, two years later he received it. They had a bit of a waiting list at the time-maybe they still do.

Six years is the current waiting time. And that hasn't changed for quite a while. I would like a Randall knife one of these days. I do own and love the ESEE knives from Randall’s Adventure & Training

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #50,509 of 155,092
Six years is the current waiting time. And that hasn't changed for quite a while. I would like a Randall knife one of these days. I do own and love the ESEE knives from Randall’s Adventure & Training
It's been a while. I had not checked what it is now.

Sep 8, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #50,510 of 155,092
That is surprisingly awesome!! It's like that b-movie that everyone loves lol soo bad it's good!

Lol I was kidding, I doubt Bill drives a Gremlin.

Sep 8, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #50,512 of 155,092
Your answer helps more than you might know and I am glad you listed some of the tubes involved. I had a Lyr 2 and Valhalla 2 and preferred the Lyr for tube rolling. I do the same with a Vali 2, I prefer 6sn7's to some of the 6922's and the like so I am debating Lyr 3 and Mjolnir.

I appreciate your candidness and honesty, and you list some very good tubes in your descriptions. I have several solid state speaker and headphone amps but I prefer tubes precisely for that tweaking and synergy you mentioned.

A bit more then...

I have wanted a Lyr 3 since they appeared, I really like the one tube only design. I will wind up with one someday.
Most of this stuff has been purchased used, mostly here from fellow members, from eBay or as B stock from Schiit.

I have had a thing for Beyerdynamic headphones. I feel that my copies achieve their best from tube amps and especially 6SN7 driven amps. The humble DT 880 600 ohm works well with a 6SN7 adapted Vali 2 with a 6H8C Pano (Reflektor Plant) - 1961 - OTK - Bottom Rectangle Getter - Grey T Aligned 2 Hole Plates “Russian Bad Boy” (and by the way with vintage high ohm headphone jack output amps/receivers). However, I find the Lyr 1 with the 6SN7 adaption an awesome setup. So much so I have two. Thus, I know that a Lyr 3 should be in my kit.

One Lyr 1 is running 6H8C Reflektor? - 1959/1960 - OTK - Bottom Rectangle Getter - Grey T Aligned 2 Hole Plates; the other SN7GTB Sylvania - Chrome Top - Rauland & Motorola Labels - 1955. The Sylvania are very surprising, I need to obtain some more. The second one is pushing Beyerdynamic T90.

So get the Mjolnir 2, find an inexpensive Lyr 1 and wait on a Lyr 3 or skip the 1 and get the 3, never can have 2muchstuff. I have the impression that you hold a good stock of tubes to roll. The Gungnir 2 can run balanced to the Mjolnir 2 and single ended to a Lyr plus one more for three SQs without any extra boxes.
JMTC worth

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #50,513 of 155,092
The only thing I can see that Unison has in common with USB is the interface. It uses a USB connector.

Well, this is obviously inaccurate. Unison is USB. It has to be otherwise it would not work with USB Audio protocol. In other words, it uses the USB connector and the USB protocol. What Unison is is Schiit Audio’s proprietary implementation of USB. They chose to build their own instead of licensing an existing implementation from someone else.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #50,514 of 155,092
IMG_0759.jpg
A bit more then...

I have wanted a Lyr 3 since they appeared, I really like the one tube only design. I will wind up with one someday.
Most of this stuff has been purchased used, mostly here from fellow members, from eBay or as B stock from Schiit.

I have had a thing for Beyerdynamic headphones. I feel that my copies achieve their best from tube amps and especially 6SN7 driven amps. The humble DT 880 600 ohm works well with a 6SN7 adapted Vali 2 with a 6H8C Pano (Reflektor Plant) - 1961 - OTK - Bottom Rectangle Getter - Grey T Aligned 2 Hole Plates “Russian Bad Boy” (and by the way with vintage high ohm headphone jack output amps/receivers). However, I find the Lyr 1 with the 6SN7 adaption an awesome setup. So much so I have two. Thus, I know that a Lyr 3 should be in my kit.

One Lyr 1 is running 6H8C Reflektor? - 1959/1960 - OTK - Bottom Rectangle Getter - Grey T Aligned 2 Hole Plates; the other SN7GTB Sylvania - Chrome Top - Rauland & Motorola Labels - 1955. The Sylvania are very surprising, I need to obtain some more. The second one is pushing Beyerdynamic T90.

So get the Mjolnir 2, find an inexpensive Lyr 1 and wait on a Lyr 3 or skip the 1 and get the 3, never can have 2muchstuff. I have the impression that you hold a good stock of tubes to roll. The Gungnir 2 can run balanced to the Mjolnir 2 and single ended to a Lyr plus one more for three SQs without any extra boxes.
JMTC worth

I have in excess of 1,000 tubes and most are 6sn7 equivalents. The only Russian tubes I use are very specific Melz 1578's and Foton ribbed plate from the fifties. I replace all solder in the pins on those.

I use Beyerdynamic as well, I have to pairs that were modified with Beyer drivers, one pair I built myself. I like Sennheiser as well and MrSpeakers but the MS I generally use on dual solid state class A headphone amps, and a Whammy designed by one of Nelson Pass's people. I have also built most of the Coaster amps in existence so I have some experience with many of Jason's tube amps. IMG_0981 (1).jpg I also like to recycle dud tubes, so I use those in headphone racks I have built.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #50,515 of 155,092
Can you give me your likes on the Mjolnir 2? I have owned or heard most all other Schiit tube products.

Mjolnir 2 +++ ... with the right tubes (for you)

Sep 8, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #50,516 of 155,092

I have in excess of 1,000 tubes and most are 6sn7 equivalents. The only Russian tubes I use are very specific Melz 1578's and Foton ribbed plate from the fifties. I replace all solder in the pins on those.

I use Beyerdynamic as well, I have to pairs that were modified with Beyer drivers, one pair I built myself. I like Sennheiser as well and MrSpeakers but the MS I generally use on dual solid state class A headphone amps, and a Whammy designed by one of Nelson Pass's people. I have also built most of the Coaster amps in existence so I have some experience with many of Jason's tube amps. I also like to recycle dud tubes, so I use those in headphone racks I have built.

Yes, I felt a little out of my league when suggesting tube stuff to you, I have been here through all of your glorious activities, projects and generosity. :trophy: to you sir.

Sep 8, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #50,517 of 155,092
Yes, I felt a little out of my league when suggesting tube stuff to you, I have been here through all of your glorious activities, projects and generosity. :trophy: to you sir.

I like to learn from others and most everyone has something to offer.

That reminds me, I need to build some purple cables for a gentleman here before another project starts.

Sep 8, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #50,518 of 155,092
Of course you can, I would make it match your vehicle color. Nothing but the best for you Bill.

gremlin(112).ashx

Very nice of you as usual, Tom. Except you got my car mixed up with @Ripper2860 again. I just wanted something to match the doors in mine. In fact, in excited anticipation I even loaded it up today for a trip to the car wash!

upload_2019-9-8_17-31-12.png

Sep 8, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #50,519 of 155,092
Sep 8, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #50,520 of 155,092
  1. Just sitting on the trailer waiting for your check to clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back