Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 8, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #50,521 of 155,114
Very nice of you as usual, Tom. Except you got my car mixed up with @Ripper2860 again. I just wanted something to match the doors in mine. In fact, in excited anticipation I even loaded it up today for a trip to the car wash!

That’s right you have the two tone version. Or is it three tone now?

Sep 8, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #50,522 of 155,114
That’s right you have the two tone version. Or is it three tone now?

The driver's door is a different shade of purple, so technically it's four tone. But just wait 'til I get it painted all purple...it'll be worth an easy $200, maybe $250 if I hold a hard line. :slight_smile:

Sep 8, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #50,523 of 155,114
The only thing I can see that Unison has in common with USB is the interface. It uses a USB connector. But after that, it seems to be 100% proprietary.
What else is there to be in common with USB besides the interface and protocol? Unison is USB compliant. Jason and Mike have talked about Schiit being licensed by the USB-IF organization.

Skip to 24:00 ...

Sep 8, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #50,525 of 155,114
What else is there to be in common with USB besides the interface and protocol? Unison is USB compliant. Jason and Mike have talked about Schiit being licensed by the USB-IF]
Do you know what that means? It means you use the same cable.

Sep 8, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #50,526 of 155,114
Jason, I think you guys are crazy to have a product like the SOL with all those parts and how complicated the setup process is. I'm sure your support team is dreading the influx of emails from frustrated customers who thought this was an easy way to get into vinyl.

BTW as an aside, can you say anything on the development of the Schiit transport? Anything later this year? Curious what kind of features it will have besides USB output.

Sep 8, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #50,527 of 155,114
Do you know what that means? It means you use the same cable.
Yes, I know what it means (I'm an engineer). Your statement was, "The only thing I can see that Unison has in common with USB is the interface". It implies that other implementations have something more in common with USB (than Unison), and I don't see what that could be.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #50,528 of 155,114
Yes, I know what it means (I'm an engineer). Your statement was, "The only thing I can see that Unison has in common with USB is the interface". It implies that other implementations have something more in common with USB, and I don't see what that could be.

Of course you are correct as I was in my post a few posts back. For @Ableza’s statement to be correct something other than USB would have to be using the USB cable. A good example would be how PS Audio uses HDMI cabling to move I2S from their SACD player to their DirectStream DAC.

He is just trying to be dramatic in describing how much better he thinks Unison USB is than other USB implementations but failing to be even close to technically accurate.

Sep 8, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #50,529 of 155,114
I think Schiit Audio are being brilliant by selling Sol and I am not even a vinyl guy.

Sep 8, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #50,530 of 155,114
Jason, the new Bifrost manual is fubard'd.

JJ

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #50,532 of 155,114
Ah, now it works.
All I was seeing before was page 3.

JJ

Sep 9, 2019 at 4:44 AM Post #50,533 of 155,114
Jason, I think you guys are crazy to have a product like the SOL with all those parts and how complicated the setup process is. I'm sure your support team is dreading the influx of emails from frustrated customers who thought this was an easy way to get into vinyl.

BTW as an aside, can you say anything on the development of the Schiit transport? Anything later this year? Curious what kind of features it will have besides USB output.

Unless they’re well heeled, Someone who is looking for an easy way into vinyl is probably not going to buy a SOL. They’ll most likely buy some more reasonably priced turntable like the Rega or Pro-Ject decks.

Sep 9, 2019 at 5:09 AM Post #50,534 of 155,114
Unless they’re well heeled, Someone who is looking for an easy way into vinyl is probably not going to buy a SOL. They’ll most likely buy some more reasonably priced turntable like the Rega or Pro-Ject decks.

Huh? Reasonably priced? You must mean "lower priced". Sol is a bargain at its price and is not at all expensive in the turntable world. Sol is not an "easy" way into vinyl and was never intended to be. It's not plug in an play but that is not the customer Schiit is after with Sol.

Sep 9, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #50,535 of 155,114
Huh? Reasonably priced? You must mean "lower priced". Sol is a bargain at its price and is not at all expensive in the turntable world. Sol is not an "easy" way into vinyl and was never intended to be. It's not plug in an play but that is not the customer Schiit is after with Sol.

Nope. I meant reasonably priced. What is a reasonable price to pay depends on the customer. Someone who is just starting to get into vinyl is more likely going to spend cheaper initially on a turntable, and then once they feel the need to explore may look at the Sol, or they may not. But what do I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back