Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 6, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #50,296 of 150,324
Alternate slogans: Cats love warm Schiit, Cats love hot Schiit, Cats Love Continuity.

Also will need disclaimer: YMMV as some Persnickety *****cats Prefer Schiit Boxes (aka the box it came from). This could go south quickly.

Glad I could help get the thread back on topic (Cats).

Sep 6, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #50,297 of 150,324
While I haven't timed my Freya S, I'd agree that it's start-up time is about half of the OG Freya (I have both). Running temp for the Freya S is basically room temperature, compared to the quite toasty OG Freya with LISST.
Hmm, if it runs cool I could put it in a stack between Gungnir and OG Freya, and keep both, for when I want tubes

Sep 6, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #50,298 of 150,324
Wow!
1. First it looked kind of sparse for the price. But then I start to appreciate the overall look and the metal I see. I always thought Schiit products looked great and this is no exception.

2. I think you guys are SERIOUSLY under-estimating the support issues that's coming your way. On your website, huge warning letters that stress that you are essentially assembling and configuring a turntable piece by piece needs to be slapped on next to the buy button.

How many people who purchase this would realistically be able to/willing to set it up? Are you prepared for a large amount of returns on brand new sols just because people didn't realize how involved the setup process is? 18 minutes in, I see somebody tying a fishing line to balance a weight! I have to physically move the belt from one attachment to another to go from 33 to 45 rpm not to mention that tone arm setup looks complicated.

That setup process seems so tough that I am going to have to pass till you guys figure out a ready made version. Sorry to come across as such a downer (record scratcher?) on what must be a real cool milestone for you guys. This is all probably basic vinyl 101 but I am clearly not experienced enough for it.

Turntables of this quality used to be sold only at audio salons who mounted the arm and cartridge for you and included the labour in their markup. And charged a lot more money. If you watch the video and think the setup process is too involved for you just don't buy it. If you balk at tying a knot in some fishing line or moving a belt on a pulley Sol is not for you.

That was a great video and the setup is pretty straight forward, anyone who works with their hands can do it. Turntables are not for everyone but people who like vinyl accept the maintenance that comes with owning a turntable and enjoy the setup process. I bet Schiit sells all the Sols they can make.

They won't ever sell a ready made version, not with that tonearm and isolated motor. The best you could hope for is a cartridge pre-mounted on an arm. You would still have to mount the arm, set up the motor pod and belt and do final adjustments. We have not even got into proper record care yet. And cartridges go out of alignment, have to be changed. Sounds like you know your limitations and should stick to streaming or CDs.

Sep 6, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #50,299 of 150,324
--cut--

They won't ever sell a ready-made version, not with that tonearm and isolated motor. The best you could hope for is a cartridge pre-mounted on an arm. You would still have to mount the arm, set up the motor pod and belt and do final adjustments. We have not even got into proper record care yet. And cartridges go out of alignment, have to be changed. Sounds like you know your limitations and should stick to streaming or CDs.

Exactly--

I know my limitations, and patience with the set-up of a new turntable would not be my forte. When I first looked into going back to vinyl, I was dissuaded by the price of a record cleaning system--long before the cost of a good TT and a cartridge was factored in. Plus, the capital outlay to buy a new vinyl collection was going to be a no small sum. I am grateful to have FLAC files and electronic playlists.

The new SOL will help define a new generation of Vinyl lovers, but I will be watching from the sidelines...

My hope is that this turntable will exceed your expectations, and Enjoy the Music

Sep 6, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #50,300 of 150,324
Exactly--

I know my limitations, and patience with the set-up of a new turntable would not be my forte. When I first looked into going back to vinyl, I was dissuaded by the price of a record cleaning system--long before the cost of a good TT and a cartridge was factored in. Plus, the capital outlay to buy a new vinyl collection was going to be a no small sum. I am grateful to have FLAC files and electronic playlists.

The new SOL will help define a new generation of Vinyl lovers, but I will be watching from the sidelines...

My hope is that this turntable will exceed your expectations, and Enjoy the Music
I agree 100%. With the quality of the True MB DACs these days, thankfully there is no reason for me to consider a return to vinyl. :)

Sep 6, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #50,301 of 150,324
Alternate slogans: Cats love warm Schiit, Cats love hot Schiit, Cats Love Continuity.

Also will need disclaimer: YMMV as some Persnickety *****cats Prefer Schiit Boxes (aka the box it came from). This could go south quickly.

Glad I could help get the thread back on topic (Cats).

And in the interest of equal time, it's a well-known fact that dogs love cat Schiit.

Sep 6, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #50,302 of 150,324
There's exactly one reason why we wouldn't want to pursue that option: slooooow sales. Like I said, if Eitr was selling like Mani, we'd definitely have a Unison USB Eitr out right quick.

Speaking of decrapifiers, how’s the good old Wyrd doing?

Sep 6, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #50,303 of 150,324
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 6, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #50,305 of 150,324
I agree 100%. With the quality of the True MB DACs these days, thankfully there is no reason for me to consider a return to vinyl. :)

I still own plenty of vinyl and have a functional turntable that my son used to use a lot. I may get him a Sol, his cat is a lot less active and less likely to go after moving parts.

Sep 6, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #50,307 of 150,324
Welkom!
What is your budget for amp / dac combo? What cans do you use?

I use hd6xx with fulla2 and vali2: great tunes!

I don't really have a strict budget but around €100 - €200 would be in the "Okay" range and fit with the Asgard price.

The cans I have are Sennheiser HD58X, and Philips SHP8900.

Anyway if Jason himself says that the built-in boards are good enough for him, then I guess they're good enough for me... :D :wink:

--Tim

Sep 6, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #50,308 of 150,324
If you want a one-box solution, either of the cards is fine. I use the True Multibit card everyday in Lyr 3, without any crazy USB decrapification. It works fine. The 4490 card in Asgard makes a very affordable combo. If you need additional inputs, then we have plenty of DACs to choose from, and there are tons of other options out there. It's entirely up to you.

I guess that if it's good enough for you, it should be good enough for me! :D

I don't need more inputs, just USB.

It's just all that talk of Gen 5 USB or Unison USB sounding so much better than older, gen 2, USB... That it sometimes makes me wonder, shouldn't I go for that?

But probably I will hardly hear hear the difference anyway.... :D

Thanks for the answer!

--Tim

Sep 6, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #50,309 of 150,324
Hoping for some tube advice/info. I am really enjoying my Freya +, especially with a pair of the 6SN7 Tung Sols on the left side and a pair of the 6N8S on the right side.

The 6N8S matched quad I bought from Schiit included 3 6H8C tubes and one SovTek 6SN7 tube (which sounds great as one of the right pair).

I am a tube noob, trying to learn. But I am confused here... How is it that 6N8S can also mean 6H8C and 6SN7? For example if I buy the 6SN7 Tung Sols, I am getting 6SN7 tubes, obviously. But if I instead buy the 6N8S tubes, I am still getting basically 6SN7 tubes. They all seem to be more or less the same thing but with varying names? I don't understand how to draw distinctions here, would greatly appreciate some input...

Also, I've read that you should only use matched pairs of tubes. But I am curious.......what happens if someone doesn't use matched tubes?

Sep 6, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #50,310 of 150,324
Hoping for some tube advice/info. I am really enjoying my Freya +, especially with a pair of the 6SN7 Tung Sols on the left side and a pair of the 6N8S on the right side.

The 6N8S matched quad I bought from Schiit included 3 6H8C tubes and one SovTek 6SN7 tube (which sounds great as one of the right pair).

I am a tube noob, trying to learn. But I am confused here... How is it that 6N8S can also mean 6H8C and 6SN7? For example if I buy the 6SN7 Tung Sols, I am getting 6SN7 tubes, obviously. But if I instead buy the 6N8S tubes, I am still getting basically 6SN7 tubes. They all seem to be more or less the same thing but with varying names? I don't understand how to draw distinctions here, would greatly appreciate some input...

Also, I've read that you should only use matched pairs of tubes. But I am curious.......what happens if someone doesn't use matched tubes?

6n8S and 6h8c are Russian tube numbers and or European numbers that correspond fairly well with 6sn7, a US and possibly British designation.

If the tubes are not matched you could have one channel being slightly louder than the other I would think and tube life might not be similar. You can have different brand names on the same tube and yet the characteristics of the tube could well match.

The Russians and Chinese are currently making reissue tubes and often they will stick with US tube numbers.

I have not really researched this a lot, just using bits and pieces of info that I have gathered so if I misstated anything here, mea culpa.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back