1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. PioBeer
    Thanks Jason, I assume you want to get a better look at how the sales of SOL goes before you go deeper down the rabbit hole on the analog side. That being said, you have any 'isolation devices' that you would recommend to go with your new table for the folks that want them?

bcowen likes this.
  2. Gazny
    I tend to trust an engineers judgment. From my personal experience a lot of effort is made to achieve the final product.

Any chance for a PYST ground wire or recommendations?

bcowen likes this.
  3. bcowen
    Good info. Thanks. Well, thanks for the good info. Not thanks for saying it's better, 'cause I can already feel $700 falling out of my wallet. :slight_smile:

4. bcowen
    With any SAMA (Stand Alone Motor Assembly), dead nuts distance is whatever sounds best.

Rensek and hearditontheX like this.
  5. bcowen
    I'm with you on the chicken powder, but if you don't know where the cocaine goes, a turntable is not for you. :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue:

ItsAllInMyHead and ProfFalkin like this.
  6. jimmers
    I don't see a picture in the necropost, just a big blank square and some text :disappointed:

More of a "Republican Democracy", I thought :fearful:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  7. dieslemat
    Please remember me if you need a beta tester for the Loki Maxi or the Jotunheim R. :D

CAPT Deadpool and bcowen like this.
  8. MatthiasP
    With ground wires it is (technically) very easy: You are looking for the lowest possible resistive connection. How do you do this? Choose good connectors, this means also for a longer time frame, think oxidation. But you can also loosen the plug and replug every x weeks/months. Then choose a material with low resistance (or cool it down to super conduct ). Silver is better than copper. You can also choose a bigger diameter to lower the resistance per length unit. Conclusion: A nice, thick copper wire with good connectors is the way to go, don't waste youroney here! Ah, and BTW: The quieter the electrical ground, the better it is, also acoustically.

CAPT Deadpool, sam6550a and Paladin79 like this.
  9. Paladin79
    Very good advice. Silver does conduct better than copper but oxidation and cost are certainly a factor.

bcowen, CAPT Deadpool and sam6550a like this.
  10. callumrd1
    To be fair, silver only conducts ~7% better than copper, a difference easily overcome by a slightly larger diameter wire (~3.4% larger).

A set of good connectors/terminals would be far more useful, ideally brass or similar to avoid corrosion.

11. Paladin79
    Brass huh?

Generally it is plated.

CAPT Deadpool likes this.
  12. tincanear
    This is between SOL and preamp or headphone amp? What do the terminals look like on the two devices? If its a screw post, they try something simple and inexpensive first, like a short length of scrap speaker wire (anything from 24 to 16 AWG to start with, thicker is better, connect both wires on both ends to the devices directly). For a more permanent installation, use "insulated" terminals with a matching ratcheting crimper. the colored insulator sleeves help provide strain relief.

Paladin79 and Smithington like this.
  13. Zojokkeli
    Looks like my Bifrost 2 has shipped. Exciting times!

14. Smithington
    Screw posts, I think.

On my inexpensive (and bought second hand) pro-ject, I crimped an automotive spade connector onto the earth cable, so that I could easily screw it to my amp's grounding post. While looking for a picture of what I mean, I found this and with I'd spend all of £1 to get a nice plated one.

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/...-7VPJOTk2QOT6oaZ0YUAagYBewuPt9SsaAmAsEALw_wcB

Works ok for me. My wire was getting hideously frayed before.

15. dieslemat
    Interesting, you sold your expensive streamers - So meaning right now you still have the Yggdrail A2 with the Unison USB?