1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. garbulky
    Wow!
    1. First it looked kind of sparse for the price. But then I start to appreciate the overall look and the metal I see. I always thought Schiit products looked great and this is no exception.

2. I think you guys are SERIOUSLY under-estimating the support issues that's coming your way. On your website, huge warning letters that stress that you are essentially assembling and configuring a turntable piece by piece needs to be slapped on next to the buy button.

How many people who purchase this would realistically be able to/willing to set it up? Are you prepared for a large amount of returns on brand new sols just because people didn't realize how involved the setup process is? 18 minutes in, I see somebody tying a fishing line to balance a weight! I have to physically move the belt from one attachment to another to go from 33 to 45 rpm not to mention that tone arm setup looks complicated.

That setup process seems so tough that I am going to have to pass till you guys figure out a ready made version. Sorry to come across as such a downer (record scratcher?) on what must be a real cool milestone for you guys. This is all probably basic vinyl 101 but I am clearly not experienced enough for it.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    bcowen and Rensek like this.
  2. Derrick Swart
    yep Sol ain't for everybody

Ableza, rollinbr, thebmc and 4 others like this.
  3. Brubacca
    Hopefully people are enlightened enough to realize and admit this.

Tim van der Leeuw likes this.
  4. Les Strat
    Congratulations to Jason, Mike and the team at Schiit for launching Sol.
    It has been quite a project!
    It is clearly a very well-designed and well-engineered product, which I have no doubt will be a great success.,
    I am not sure whether I will 'go back' to vinyl, having stored my vinyl in boxes about 20 years ago, but if I do, the Sol will definitely be top of my list for a new turntable.
    I am still holding out for the new Schiit CD Transport to use with my Yggy A2 as I think it could be fantastic.
    So far, I have managed to resist the temptation of buying a CD transport from another manufacturer, as I like Mike's idea about BWD/USB connections, and destination clock so much.

the finisher likes this.
  5. Derrick Swart
    Have faith and always some one around to help

Smithington likes this.
  6. Smithington
    Personally, if I had the budget for this, I'd take it to a nearby hifi shop and pay them to do the hard bits for me. I was quite happy to get them to fit a new cartridge to my pro-ject and set the counterweight on the tonearm.

I should probably be embarrassed about that, but I'm not. It wasn't expensive. Plus it sounds good.

Amount of input shouldn't put people off. I'd be exploring nearby hifi shops for services.

7. earnmyturns
    The old configuration was Auralic Aries Femto>AES>Yggdrasil A2. I also had an Allo USBridge around that I was not using at the time. I tested Unison USB with the Allo USBridge. After it was debugged, it was clear that it sounded better than the old configuration. I sold the Aries.

8. Derrick Swart
    Foggy response, usually you’re pretty clear:ksc75smile:

CAPT Deadpool and GearMe like this.
  9. dieslemat
    Yes I am pretty aware of your old Auralic Aries Femto which, in all honesty, I was surprised that you removed it from your setup (and signature I believe) sometime ago but I didnt bother to ask. For sure Schiit will come out with an upgrade Unison usb module for the Yggdrasil and the Gungnir.

We can all read between the lines -> @earnmyturns is one of the first Yggdrasil owners with the Unison usb. Haha

the finisher and CAPT Deadpool like this.
  10. Paladin79
    IMG_0937.jpg My daughter's kitten would love a Sol, especially the little weight hanging from the fishing line. :smile_phones: I may consider one once I get some kind of plexiglass box built.

11. kdickin2
    Ha - my first reaction when seeing the Sol is that it is probably the least cat-proofed turntable I've ever seen. :smile_cat:

12. CAPT Deadpool
    The Sol is a fully adjustable Cat Toy and Turntable.

Just like the ad campaign that Dogs Love Subarus, Schiit should do a Cats Love Schiit campaign!

Insert Photos of cats sleeping on Schiit Amps and DACs here.

Edit: and videos of Ren and Stimpy episode with the "Don't Pee on the Electric Fence" game.

13. kdickin2
  14. CAPT Deadpool
    Alternate slogans: Cats love warm Schiit, Cats love hot Schiit, Cats Love Continuity.

Also will need disclaimer: YMMV as some Persnickety *****cats Prefer Schiit Boxes (aka the box it came from). This could go south quickly.

Glad I could help get the thread back on topic (Cats).

15. Dana Reed
    Hmm, if it runs cool I could put it in a stack between Gungnir and OG Freya, and keep both, for when I want tubes

Paladin79 likes this.