Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 6, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #50,327 of 149,157
Jason put some wings on the pig, "Schiit happens when pigs fly!"

Sep 6, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #50,328 of 149,157
I also understand they're showing the Sol setup video at the show, in order to discourage people from buying it. LOL!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 6, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #50,329 of 149,157
Is that a Fulla 3? Do you know what as changed from Fulla 2?

It has microphone input. It loses the fixed output, analog input moved to back. Otherwise the same as Fulla 2.

Which reminds me, I should really write the press release for that pair...

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 6, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #50,330 of 149,157
Hoping for some tube advice/info. I am really enjoying my Freya +, especially with a pair of the 6SN7 Tung Sols on the left side and a pair of the 6N8S on the right side.

The 6N8S matched quad I bought from Schiit included 3 6H8C tubes and one SovTek 6SN7 tube (which sounds great as one of the right pair).

I am a tube noob, trying to learn. But I am confused here... How is it that 6N8S can also mean 6H8C and 6SN7? For example, if I buy the 6SN7 Tung Sols, I am getting 6SN7 tubes, obviously. But if I instead buy the 6N8S tubes, I am still getting basically 6SN7 tubes. They all seem to be more or less the same thing but with varying names? I don't understand how to draw distinctions here, would greatly appreciate some input...

Also, I've read that you should only use matched pairs of tubes. But I am curious.......what happens if someone doesn't use matched tubes?

Russians and Chinese have different names for the same tubes because we transliterate a different alphabet. 6SN7 is a western designation, which Russians also call 6H8C (I plead no knowledge as to the difference between 6H8C and 6H8S but have seen them also used to mean the same thing) New Tung-Sol are made in Russia by New Sensor, an American company, so how they label the tubes is a mystery.

As for "matching tubes" I think that this is a marketing ploy to elicit higher prices. I have run "mismatched" pairs in my Valhalla 2 and my right ear gets the same sound as my left, reverse the tubes in amp, and no difference.

Sure, if they told you what they were "matching" and what machine was used, then it might begin to have meaning. Notice some vendors say "gain matched" on the 'Excelso1000' tube tester. You must wonder if the numbers mean anything if the tube is matched on a machine that has not been properly set-up and calibrated.

If those new tubes sound good, enjoy them.

Sep 6, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #50,331 of 149,157
I do not own many SovTek or I would offer to help. Put up a photo of that tube and one of the 6H8C's if you can.

I own maybe 300 6sn7 equivalents but on Russian tubes there are only a few types I seek. I did get some of the Russian made Tung Sols with one of my Freya's and they are pretty decent. Jason has to be able to buy new tubes and to me that is a pretty good choice.
Thanks for your help! It's kind of overwhelming the number of tube options available to try. All four of the included Tung Sols sounded too sharp to my ear. Adding the 6H8C + the SovTek 6SN7 as the right pair has softened the sound without losing articulation. I am totally blown away by and loving the sound. Two of the 6H8Cs (instead of using the SovTek 6SN7) don't hit the mark for me either. Since simply swapping one tube from a "so close we included it in the box with the others" makes such a sonic difference I want to know how to keep a good thing going when the tubes die...

Here are some pics:
IMG_3858.JPG
IMG_3859.JPG
IMG_3861.JPG

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #50,332 of 149,157
I don't know how that SovTek 6SN7 got included in my box of matched quad 6N8S tubes then. But it sounds great on the right side when paired with one of the 6H8C tubes. That's why I was confused. And it made me wonder how I could ever make this match again? It seems that I could buy additional SovTek 6SN7s but who knows if they would match/work with my remaining 6H8C tubes?

Worst-case scenario I could try it and if it didn't work, nothing would explode or burst into flames, right? It just might lead to different channel volumes?
I think once 1 of the tubes has well and truly given out (you'll know), there will be no matching to them again, unless you buy a tester, calibrate it, and then go hunting for almost dead used tubes yourself. You're much better off just buying more matched pairs I think. And unless you think the price of NOS matched pairs/quads is going to go down, maybe now is the time?

That said, apparently new production tubes are sounding really good, so 10 years from now, maybe new production will have surpassed the 1940s and 1950s stuff.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #50,333 of 149,157
Thanks for your help! It's kind of overwhelming the number of tube options available to try. All four of the included Tung Sols sounded too sharp to my ear. Adding the 6H8C + the SovTek 6SN7 as the right pair has softened the sound without losing articulation. I am totally blown away by and loving the sound. Two of the 6H8Cs (instead of using the SovTek 6SN7) don't hit the mark for me either. Since simply swapping one tube from a "so close we included it in the box with the others" makes such a sonic difference I want to know how to keep a good thing going when the tubes die...

Here are some pics:

Not a big tube expert here but I like how you re-purposed that, what looks like a monitor riser/desk accessory piece, to stack your Schiit. Looks like it's right out of the catalogue! Beautiful 12-string too.

Sep 6, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #50,334 of 149,157
I guess that if it's good enough for you, it should be good enough for me! :D

I don't need more inputs, just USB.

It's just all that talk of Gen 5 USB or Unison USB sounding so much better than older, gen 2, USB... That it sometimes makes me wonder, shouldn't I go for that?

But probably I will hardly hear hear the difference anyway.... :D

Thanks for the answer!

--Tim
I didn't see anybody answer your questions, so I will try. It's tough to navigate around all the tube "info" here :)

The short answer ... you certainly will hear a difference.
In my Gungnir MB DAC, I went from USB Gen2 to Gen5. A huge improvement in SQ and stability.

Now, folks are openly posting they were Unison beta testers, so it's public.
I know a person who participated. He wrote the SQ of the Unison is ~20% better than the Gen5.
As in ... a game changer. Not really like USB at all, more like (or even better than) AES. That's saying a lot.

I think you asked which DAC or DAC card to buy.
If you have the funds, I suggest purchase of the new Bifrost 2 (includes Unison) to pair with your Asgard 3 (with no DAC card). That would be a very decent rig!
If you can't swing the Biftost 2, then go for the Asgard 3 MB card. The Schiit MB tech blows away the Delta Sigma, IMO.

Oh, and welcome to Head-Fi :)
My best,
RCB

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #50,335 of 149,157

Here are some pics:

Those look like the same tubes internally so you should be fine, Schiit uses new tubes and matched quads. It could be the manufacturer marked some for sale in another part of the world. Now in general, a 6H8C is not a 6SN7, but in this case I can see why they matched. :)

When I was getting tubes together for the 6sn7 equivalent challenge, I tried buying at least a dozen different brands of tubes. I would buy a Bendix only to find out it was really a Sylvania, or a Marconi, only to find it was really a GE.

Great job with the photos by the way.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #50,338 of 149,157
Not a big tube expert here but I like how you re-purposed that, what looks like a monitor riser/desk accessory piece, to stack your Schiit. Looks like it's right out of the catalogue! Beautiful 12-string too.
Thanks! The stand fits the Freya + perfectly. I needed it because the Freya seriously cooks, temperature-wise (and sonically, of course). The wooden hutch it sits on would get really warm underneath, so I wanted something to help the Freya breathe top and bottom. The Bifrost fits nicely underneath. I think a Yggdrasil would fit under as well, someday when I am able to save up.... Here's the stand I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HS5FW7Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And thanks! :)

Sep 6, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #50,339 of 149,157
Those look like the same tubes internally so you should be fine, Schiit uses new tubes and matched quads. It could be the manufacturer marked some for sale in another part of the world. Now in general, a 6H8C is not a 6SN7, but in this case I can see why they matched. :)

When I was getting tubes together for the 6sn7 equivalent challenge, I tried buying at least a dozen different brands of tubes. I would buy a Bendix only to find out it was really a Sylvania, or a Marconi, only to find it was really a GE.

Great job with the photos by the way.

Thanks! Good to know, so perhaps I am safe then to get try some new SovTek 6SN7s to pair with my 68HCs...

Sep 6, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #50,340 of 149,157
Thanks! Good to know, so perhaps I am safe then to get try some new SovTek 6SN7s to pair with my 68HCs...

I purchased a SovTec 6SN7 from Tubedepot.com (I think it was $7.95) It took a month of being kind of rough, but it eventually smoothed out, and when I bought my Saga Classic, guess what the stock tube was?--Yup, the same tube... so I am using the "burned-in one" although since both were "new" they are the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back