Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 21, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #49,516 of 153,070
Tax laws can be silly at times. Apparently Massachusetts has a tax holiday and there are things excluded from it. Steam is a digital platform for buying and playing games, run by Valve. Games bought on Steam were not eligible for the tax exemption. When asked why, Steam provided this response:

ECbe0rkWsAAyd-A

It is worth noting that this could have been Valve covering its butt instead of Massachesetts specifically saying they were not tax exempt for the holiday.

Aug 21, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #49,517 of 153,070
Check out the Project CD boxes

I have been. Some interesting gear, but their multiple lines get confusing pretty fast. And so many variations in turntables... if I was in the market for one I would throw my hands up and go somewhere simpler (cue spaghetti western soundtrack and picture of Sol... :wink:. I didn’t count, but it feels like they’ve got a couple of dozen choices.

Only three or four CD players, though, so I’m trying to figure out if they have a dealer local to Calgary.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #49,518 of 153,070
I have an Olasonic Nano-CD1 transport.
About as small as it gets. Not much space for air in there.
(It was the only transport I could find that was small enough to share a shelf with my Mac Mini.)
Have had it for about a year & very happy with it so far.
Sure, it's expensive for what it it is, but it's very solidly put together.
Just a thought.

That said, if I was in the market today, I'd wait and see what Schiit cooks up.

Beauty! I don’t think it’s still available (and I noticed with interest there was a Vinnie Rossi hacked version offered for sale here on head-fi in 2009), but it’s a lovely looking little piece.

Thanks!

[Edit] I’m keeping an eye out on https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/ in case any of these come up on the used market... or Schiit may drop first... lol

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #49,520 of 153,070
Hey all,

Looks like our new releases will be pushed to next week. I was a bit too optimistic--hell, we won't even have photos until tomorrow. I really hate releasing things at the end of the week, because our support staff has to field 10000 questions without being able to contact tech and shipping staff.

So...next week it is. Sorry for the delay!

All the best,
Jason

My business experience: if you're delayed or late getting something out but the customer is delighted with the product, the memory of that delay fades very quickly. If you rush something out prematurely and the customer isn't happy with the product, that memory remains forever. Apologies for all the impatient guys here...I'm one of them. :relaxed:

Aug 21, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #49,521 of 153,070
Hope one of the new products being introduced isn't Yggy A3 since I'm just now having one of my Yggy's updated to A2 (finally) lol.

Aug 21, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #49,522 of 153,070
Hope one of the new products being introduced isn't Yggy A3 since I'm just now having one of my Yggy's updated to A2 (finally) lol.

You're safe there.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 22, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #49,524 of 153,070
Hey all,

Looks like our new releases will be pushed to next week. I was a bit too optimistic--hell, we won't even have photos until tomorrow. I really hate releasing things at the end of the week, because our support staff has to field 10000 questions without being able to contact tech and shipping staff.

So...next week it is. Sorry for the delay!

All the best,
Jason
crap happens.

Aug 22, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #49,525 of 153,070
You're safe there.
That's awesome. Gosh considering the crazy week I've had at work it would have been the icing on the cake to find out there's an A3. It's like that old computer commercial from the 2000's, a guy is headed home in his car with his arm resting on his new M4 computer in a box beside him on the passenger seat. He stops at a light, looks up and sees a billboard being changed from the M4 to the M5.

Funny little story, but I love how Schiit gear can be upgraded. Heck if there was a way to upgrade my Freya to the new version I'd more than likely do it, even though the one I have sounds great.

I'm really looking forward to A2 on my downstairs rig. We've all loved the Yggy over these past couple of years (Freya too of course as the preamp) and an improved Yggy will be fun to listen to no doubt!

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #49,526 of 153,070
Beauty! I don’t think it’s still available (and I noticed with interest there was a Vinnie Rossi hacked version offered for sale here on head-fi in 2009), but it’s a lovely looking little piece.

Thanks!

[Edit] I’m keeping an eye out on https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/ in case any of these come up on the used market... or Schiit may drop first... lol

some transports for sale here https://www.audiogon.com/listings?q=transport

I purchased a Shanling PCD300B CD player there back in 2012. review of the 300A here https://6moons.com/audioreviews/shanling6/shanling.html

Aug 22, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #49,527 of 153,070
some transports for sale here https://www.audiogon.com/listings?q=transport

I purchased a Shanling PCD300B CD player there back in 2012. review of the 300A here https://6moons.com/audioreviews/shanling6/shanling.html

Thanks for the suggestions, but being up here in Canada makes buying things from Audiogon... interesting. Some people don't want to ship internationally, the exchange rate is brutal, and so is shipping. But it's a good source of inspiration -- for instance I hadn't seen the Bel Canto CD3T before, it looks like a nice unit.

Cheers!

Aug 22, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #49,528 of 153,070
You can source canada online transport sales, or phone direct. I found Vancouver has more online than toronto. But if your budget is expandable, antipodes audio is certainly worth pursuing.

Aug 22, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #49,529 of 153,070
$300 per year for streaming?
I just laughed so hard I almost injured myself.

I hear ya. In an age where access to music can be had for little to no cost it may seem unreasonable to spend $25/month or $300/year.
On a per month basis at the highest tier available for paid subscriptions there are, among others: Qobuz=$25, Tidal HiFi=$20, Spotify/Deezer/Pandora=$10.
So for the $5-15 extra I pay every month above the others I get to purchase (and keep forever) some tasty Hi-Rez albums for about $8/album.

I could add at least two CDs (or downloads) to my collection every month at that cost.

If you're a Spotify/Deezer/Pandora customer and bought 2 cds (at, let's say $12 each) you'd be at $34. For me, I'd spend $25 for Qobuz, and $16 for 2 Hi-Rez downloads so I'm at $41. You win.

We both pick up another CD/DL and you're at $46 and I'm at $49. You still win but the margin narrows.

I've got two buddies who track their cars, one a Miata the other a Vette, and the Vette guy outspends the Miata guy 2:1. Who cares? They both enjoy their hobby. I'm happy with what I spend, you seem to be happy with what you spend. Everyone wins.

Aug 22, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #49,530 of 153,070
I hear ya. In an age where access to music can be had for little to no cost it may seem unreasonable to spend $25/month or $300/year.
On a per month basis at the highest tier available for paid subscriptions there are, among others: Qobuz=$25, Tidal HiFi=$20, Spotify/Deezer/Pandora=$10.
So for the $5-15 extra I pay every month above the others I get to purchase (and keep forever) some tasty Hi-Rez albums for about $8/album.

If you're a Spotify/Deezer/Pandora customer and bought 2 cds (at, let's say $12 each) you'd be at $34. For me, I'd spend $25 for Qobuz, and $16 for 2 Hi-Rez downloads so I'm at $41. You win.

We both pick up another CD/DL and you're at $46 and I'm at $49. You still win but the margin narrows.

I've got two buddies who track their cars, one a Miata the other a Vette, and the Vette guy outspends the Miata guy 2:1. Who cares? They both enjoy their hobby. I'm happy with what I spend, you seem to be happy with what you spend. Everyone wins.

I am going to be a Amazon Prime Member if for no reason but dog food and free shipping, so the Music Unlimited for $7.99 ($79/yr) makes sense. Amazon will go Hi-Res for $14.99/mo. I am betting that Amazon will slowly roll in the hi-res library until they are competitive with others in that market, and probably give existing customers free upgrade for remainder of your year...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back