Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 23, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #49,547 of 151,480
I find it difficult to discern the difference between an MP3/AAC/FLAC/OGG file encoded at 256Kbps to a CD at 44/16. Which is why MP3 has been so popular, I suspect.

I can't reliably tell the difference between between different bit-sample rates of files until we get the to highest/lowest comparisons. Meaning, using the same master of a file sampled at 44/16 vs 96/24 I'm unlikely to be able to distinguish a meaningful difference between the two.

However I can reliably distinguish the difference between a 128Kbps MP3 and a Hi-Res 96/24 version of the same file.

With that in mind, if I can purchase the 96/24 version at the same price, or in the case of being a Qoubz Sublime+ subscriber, a lower price as the 44/16, then I surely will.

Minor point, there isn't any such thing as "FLAC quality" as it is possible to encode music to FLAC that is compressed/lossy all the way up to uncompressed/lossless.

A point to keep in mind is that I've been a pilot for the last 35 years and pilots are notorious for their hearing loss. screw tinnitus, btw. (sorry, is that ringing in my ears bothering you?)
Yep. Or frequent flyers like me with a negative pressure in one ear

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #49,549 of 151,480
Lots of live shows available for streaming at the Live Music Archive

Here is one way to navigate - https://archive.org/browse.php?collection=etree&field=creator

Find the artist you like, click it, for example https://archive.org/details/RailroadEarth

Then click a show - https://archive.org/details/rre2019-08-16 - and you can stream it directly. Many shows such as this one also have options to download the files in various format (Download Options on the right). There are several android apps for LMA

q

Aug 23, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #49,550 of 151,480
Lots of live shows available for streaming at the Live Music Archive

Here is one way to navigate - https://archive.org/browse.php?collection=etree&field=creator

Find the artist you like, click it, for example https://archive.org/details/RailroadEarth

Then click a show - https://archive.org/details/rre2019-08-16 - and you can stream it directly. Many shows such as this one also have options to download the files in various format (Download Options on the right). There are several android apps for LMA

q
This is really awesome, thank you very much quimbo!
Where Qobus is really great and differentiating in my point of view even greater is their commended guide and writings about genres and artists.
Many moons ago when Tidal was still a Swedish (?) company I was their customer because of their great music recommendations, which were actually written by true people working for them. Today I'm a Tidal client, but when I'll be living in a country where Qobus is available I'll leave them, because Tidal music recommendation for me is not working at all (read: soooo baaad) and their "CD quality" is when listening to Jazz or Classical Music not really CD Quality.
Enjoy your music!
Matthias

Aug 23, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #49,552 of 151,480
When I'm on this thread, I forget just how niche and echo-chamber-esk Schiit Audio Limited is... especially here in Toronto. I just assume Hi-Fi shops have seen this produ ct -- nope. I auditioned a pair of $1800 CDN Audeze LCD-2 (closed back model) using my piddily Fulla 2... solely powered by my Chromebook's USB. Mighty Mouse (Fulla) lit these cans up... and I was feeding it Google Play (so 320KBps, MP3?) tunes.
The salesmen (yep, all guys at one store) passed the Fulla around and tentatively spun the pot. My lesson: I'm priveleged to have Schiit gear and it really DOES punch above its weight. Oh, and this thread goes DEEP into the technical details of Hi-Fi. :ksc75smile:
BTW - if you're in the GTA and want to visit a 100% audio shop (not a 4K-TV in sight), drop me a PM. The owner made an excellent impression with me. :)

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #49,553 of 151,480
I use Apple Music and Tidal. The Apple Music quality isn't the best but it isn't bad. And it's the best for music discovery. I have years of iTunes playlists and a lot of what I want isn't on the Hi-rez services. Tried Qobuz but there was too much of what I listen to missing. The bonus for Apple Music is that you can upload things that aren't in the catalog, like something from SoundCloud or something you ripped from a CD that's not available for streaming. Based on my personal listening tests, I can only say that the quality varies from song to song across all streaming platforms, No clear, consistent winner. And that leads me to Roon. I don't have it but I want it. I can mix my sources across streaming and owned tracks. Only downside for me is no Apple Music.

Aug 23, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #49,554 of 151,480
Wanted to add to the racks of Schiit on display here. I'm using an IKEA KNARREVIK night stand i bought for $9.99. I just holds the Vidar with nothing sticking out of the back except wires. I bought two so I can drill extra holes to add a second shelf and get the DigiOne off of the floor. It's minimal and seems to fit Schiit's industrial design philosophy.

IMG_8447.jpg

Aug 23, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #49,555 of 151,480
If you like live music, i am one of the admins at LossLess Legs https://www.shnflac.net/ - a site for bit torrenting live music. A few members of this thread are members there. It started as a Grateful Dead / Jerry Garcia site and has evolved to all sorts of good music, many genres, recent shows and lots of older shows. All the new Charlie Miller releases debut here. We respect all the artists who do not support electronic trading (ABB, many others). Very laid back community of good folks. It does require a sign up, PM me and I'll fast track them. I built and maintain a comprehensive dead and garcia database of recordings at this site,

q

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #49,556 of 151,480
Wanted to add to the racks of Schiit on display here. I'm using an IKEA KNARREVIK night stand i bought for $9.99. I just holds the Vidar with nothing sticking out of the back except wires. I bought two so I can drill extra holes to add a second shelf and get the DigiOne off of the floor. It's minimal and seems to fit Schiit's industrial design philosophy.

Great Suggestion, I will order one for my Schiit Stack -- ModiMB, EITR, Valhalla 2.

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #49,557 of 151,480
If you like live music, i am one of the admins at LossLess Legs https://www.shnflac.net/ - a site for bit torrenting live music. A few members of this thread are members there. It started as a Grateful Dead / Jerry Garcia site and has evolved to all sorts of good music, many genres, recent shows and lots of older shows. All the new Charlie Miller releases debut here. We respect all the artists who do not support electronic trading (ABB, many others). Very laid back community of good folks. It does require a sign up, PM me and I'll fast track them. I built and maintain a comprehensive dead and garcia database of recordings at this site,

q

VGpNuW.jpg

I'm just a moderator there, but @quimbo is right, we are the friendliest hangout on the interwebz.

Aug 24, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #49,558 of 151,480
All of this talk about file formats and sound quality is quite interesting. I've always understood it as all of the notes and inflections present on vinyl/CD/flac are still tangible on the compressed file. What matters is the quality of file/copy/format used to make the compressed copy.

As far as I've read, and to my ears what changes is the dynamic range, the blackness, the achievable resolution, the depth, soundstage, and layering of what your system presents to you. It's still highly, highly, gear dependent.

I liken it to a playing field. We will use hockey arenas. There is Olympic sized (the largest), NHL sized (still big and great but not as large as Olympic) and the assorted random sizes you will find all across the US & Canada (various mp3 compression rates).

The game (music) is still the same across all the ice surfaces (file size/format) but the game is played differently (what we hear) according to each rink size.

I don't have a good analogy for headphones vs speakers but its like another playing field. Headphones are by nature a smaller listening area so you have less of an area space wise to focus on and identify soundstage, depth, instrument placement, etc.

If you listen to the same track on your 2ch system. Tidal will present the details in a different arrangement then Spotify, then Amazon, then Pandora, then Qobuz, etc. The lead singer is still front and center, the guitars are left, the drums are right, etc.

To my ears the difference really comes into play in the details. Where is the drum placed, how is it separated, do backing vocal sound like they are back and to the left of the lead singer or do they sound like they are huddled right behind him/her. Does the piano sound front and to the right, or does it sound hidden behind the drums and cymbals. If you signal out one part, or key item, you can hear it amongst all versions.

As mentioned above dynamic range is also hugely impacted. Most notably in songs that weren't compressed for radio play to begin with. Think classical here. It would be interesting to see a good db meter with a log/recording function measure two classical tracks from different services/formats, but have them be the same album/recording. I think I've seen this demonstrated before but can't remember where.

And gear also matters (probably most of all) in so much as you care about the nitty gritty details and want to extract the most detail from the recordings as you can.

On that last note, I had a realization tonight. I'm done buying expensive or mid priced beer/whisky. I'm going to buy cheap hooch that I like and spend the difference on quality gear.

IMG_20190824_001150.jpg

And I didn't even get into coaxial, toslink, USB. Or digital cables and transmission hardware.

Just enjoy your music..We are all hearing the same stuff, just differently, not better or worse... No losers, all winners.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #49,559 of 151,480
IMG_1147.jpg This morn I am testing some 6dj8/Ecc88's and 6922's in a Vali 2 but I have to be careful not to leave one laying around. They make a much better cat toy than the 6sn7. My daughter's cat, Finnegan. The first time a pinched waist Amperex hits the floor it may be time for Finnegan's wake. :smile_phones:

Aug 24, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #49,560 of 151,480
Hey all,

Looks like our new releases will be pushed to next week. I was a bit too optimistic--hell, we won't even have photos until tomorrow. I really hate releasing things at the end of the week, because our support staff has to field 10000 questions without being able to contact tech and shipping staff.

So...next week it is. Sorry for the delay!

All the best,
Jason
Delays are OK- but only if next week the UNISON USB is to be released!
Cheers!
Johan

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back