1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. Varejao17
    Yeah. There was a fair amount of interest in the music world in the 1990s when I got these recordings, especially with his string quartets.

2. scclimber
    I know I’m a little late to the game but my first experience with Schiit was seeing an interview with mike moffettnraising hell about something and I said then I have to do some business with these guys.

3. Jason Stoddard
    Hey all,

Looks like our new releases will be pushed to next week. I was a bit too optimistic--hell, we won't even have photos until tomorrow. I really hate releasing things at the end of the week, because our support staff has to field 10000 questions without being able to contact tech and shipping staff.

So...next week it is. Sorry for the delay!

All the best,
    Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
    barondla, bcowen, KoshNaranek and 5 others like this.
  4. JohnnyCanuck
    Schiit happens

5. Rensek
    Appreciate the update.

6. dieslemat
    Loki Maxi?

EELawson likes this.
  7. jsiegel14072
    Is that what is known in the Marketing industry as a "Tease" or us in the manufacturing world as "cover for us, we had some unexpected issues"?

Better to have everything perfect than try to meet a artificial deadline!

Derrick Swart and Darthpool like this.
  8. Alcophone
    Eventually, anyway

9. TheNidz
    I have an Olasonic Nano-CD1 transport.
    About as small as it gets. Not much space for air in there.
    (It was the only transport I could find that was small enough to share a shelf with my Mac Mini.)
    Have had it for about a year & very happy with it so far.
    Sure, it's expensive for what it it is, but it's very solidly put together.
    Just a thought.

That said, if I was in the market today, I'd wait and see what Schiit cooks up.

10. belgiangenius
    $300 per year for streaming?

I just laughed so hard I almost injured myself.

I could add at least two CDs (or downloads) to my collection every month at that cost.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    RickB likes this.
  11. judson_w
    That may be, but that $300 gives you a discount on buying the digital copies, even hi rez files above CD quality. Roy G Biv states they bought enough digital albums that the total discounts were above $300. I probably* spend around $1000 per year on vinyl. If I were to spend that on digital downloads instead,and if that discount given for $300 subscription is 40%**, then my normal $1000 becomes $600. $600+$300 for the subscription is still less than I would normally pay and I would have access to the streaming service.

So the value of the $300 subscription is a matter of scale.

*The probably should not be here..
    ** I picked 40% because it was a reasonable number and easy to work with. In the screenshot that was provided, the normal Hi-Rez version is $84.49 while with the subscription it was $41.99, thus that example is a roughly 50% discount (well... 50.3%) which means if you would normally spend $600 on digital downloads, you would break even.

Edit: I realize the % discount is less when compared to HDTracks, but the discounted price is still less than what you would pay at HDTracks in the example given. The return is lower, but there is still a return.

Roy G. Biv and Juan_R like this.
  12. Xcalibur255
    Man I laughed so hard the first time I saw that. It's also a good reminder not to take the hobby too seriously all the time, which I can be prone to doing as an OCD/perfectionist type of person.

AudioGal and rollinbr like this.
  13. Xcalibur255
    I still cannot believe that it was my state that led the charge on this. All the things we are regressive or sluggish about when it comes to keeping up with the times but somehow they just pounced on this. I suspect what fueled this was some creative brainstorming on ways to find alternative revenue streams for the state government. It's literally impossible (like, seriously) to get new taxes passed here, and SD is one of the few states that does not have a state income tax so they're always revenue starved.

14. judson_w
    Tax laws can be silly at times. Apparently Massachusetts has a tax holiday and there are things excluded from it. Steam is a digital platform for buying and playing games, run by Valve. Games bought on Steam were not eligible for the tax exemption. When asked why, Steam provided this response:

[​IMG]

It is worth noting that this could have been Valve covering its butt instead of Massachesetts specifically saying they were not tax exempt for the holiday.

gljus and Alcophone like this.
  15. valiant66
    I have been. Some interesting gear, but their multiple lines get confusing pretty fast. And so many variations in turntables... if I was in the market for one I would throw my hands up and go somewhere simpler (cue spaghetti western soundtrack and picture of Sol... :wink:. I didn’t count, but it feels like they’ve got a couple of dozen choices.

Only three or four CD players, though, so I’m trying to figure out if they have a dealer local to Calgary.